Skip to main content
Answered

Dual Mono on new Sonos App

I just upgraded to the new Sonos App and the dual mono setting for the two Amps I run is missing.  I used this setting for single ceiling speakers in different rooms.  This has to be brought back, I can’t have the right channel playing in one room and the left in another.

44 replies

Correct. 1 zone. 

The release notes for today’s update suggest they have ‘fixed’ this. Have you tested? 

I don’t mean to ask a separate question on this thread, but found this while looking into dual mono mode myself.  Is this mode suitable to use in single speaker situations?  I am doing a remodel and have one room where I will only have a single speaker.  I’m wondering if I need a stereo speaker or if I can just use a sonos amp I have in dual mono mode with only one speaker connected.  I was told the mono mode may be designed for TV audio signals and not music listening purposes, but have seen a lot of people seem to use it for music applications so figured I’d ask this group who clearly uses it!

Userlevel 1

This is now confirmed to be present and working again! Thank you community! 

I still do not see the dual mono option on my system. It has the latest software.

This is now confirmed to be present and working again! Thank you community! 

I think for now, this is an IOS only feature.

That would strike me as very odd. My impression had always been that the iOS app and the Android apps were merely different exports from the same codebase. This is certainly the way we did game development, with a single codebase, and two exports, one for each OS.

I would certainly be tempted to do a full power cycle of the system, including the router. I’d also run another software update process after that, to ensure that both the Android controller was on the current version of 80.03.06, and that the Amps in question are updated to the latest firmware. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That would strike me as very odd. My impression had always been that the iOS app and the Android apps were merely different exports from the same codebase.

Hi @Airgetlam, I was under the same impression … but that is not the case. I am running the new app on iOS and Android, and there are any number of things broken/missing in the Android app. For example:

• Artwork for local library music does not show up
  • Sonos Favorites of local library music are grayed out (not functional)

On the other hand, the new Android app has the distinct advantage that you can replace it quite easily with the v16.1 app via sideloading.  ;-)

I wish they would get this feature and all the other missing features ported over to the Android app. Fortunately I was able to get someone else with an iOS device to set my amp to mono mode for my outdoor speakers.

That would strike me as very odd. My impression had always been that the iOS app and the Android apps were merely different exports from the same codebase. This is certainly the way we did game development, with a single codebase, and two exports, one for each OS.

I would certainly be tempted to do a full power cycle of the system, including the router. I’d also run another software update process after that, to ensure that both the Android controller was on the current version of 80.03.06, and that the Amps in question are updated to the latest firmware. 

From the Sonos software update release notes:

"Added stereo or mono configuration for Amp/Port output on iOS."

So mostly an IOS only option at this point. I have an ipad so wiill check if option appears on the app.

I wish they would get this feature and all the other missing features ported over to the Android app. Fortunately I was able to get someone else with an iOS device to set my amp to mono mode for my outdoor speakers.

Why not just sideload the older 16.1 Sonos app ? Stop the auto update for the app. Have been using the older app on my android without any issues.

Userlevel 1

When is this going back into Android? Unacceptable.

So apparently this is only working with the Sonos Amp but not the Sonos Connect:Amp?? I still do not have the option to select Dual Mono on my system. This is such a PITA. Dammit Sonos! Fix this!

I don’t think Dual Mono was ever a feature on the older CONNECT:AMP. 

It was. I used it. 

Userlevel 1

Roll back to the old app already. I’ve never seen a company insist on pile driving their entire existence into the ground.

All the freshly laid off employees should each get a chance to power slap this pathetic CEO.

Wait, you can roll back to the old app?? How do you do that? I’m on iOS if that matters. 

Userlevel 1

Wait, you can roll back to the old app?? How do you do that? I’m on iOS if that matters. 

I was more advising sonos to just roll back to the old app, mainly for iOS users.

Android users can at least side load the old app and take some steps to prevent it from updating, but it's a pain.

With all the problems, why wouldn't they?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BryRocket 

I’m sorry, but you are mistaken - Dual Mono mode has only ever been available on Amp and Port.