Skip to main content

I just upgraded to the new Sonos App and the dual mono setting for the two Amps I run is missing.  I used this setting for single ceiling speakers in different rooms.  This has to be brought back, I can’t have the right channel playing in one room and the left in another.

Yeah this basically kills outdoor setups. Bring the feature back. 

Please tell me Sonos plans to fix this

Huge problem, agreed. Just realized that not only did the toggle go away but the amp was flipped to stereo during the update so I can’t revert. Need a fix

Luckily found an old phone that didn’t have auto updates applied to the old app loaded and connected AFTER I got all the stuff I have (that had been dropping out for WEEEEEEKS with no explanation from Sonos other than network BS - since it had been running unscathed for months) added back in. 

when I looked at the old phone, sure enough the amps were in stereo but was able to switch back and adjust. Now they are doing what I need them to but I just can’t “see” it on the new app. Unless tomorrow I wake up and look And they revert 😂

only crummy thing is I can’t do ANYthing to the old phone / app (add services) cause it’ll force the update. 

soooooooooo. Great, but Sonos you’re blowing it. I’m an AV integrator with probably 100+ Sonos clients in systems from basic to elaborate (20+ ports / 10,000 sq-ft house distribution) and if their DEGRADED “updated upgrade” user experience starts to come back on us we won’t use going forward with Sonos products and in all likelihood start to systematically replace existing ones with C4 native or autonomic systems as both offer Spotify and Auto now has Apple Music natively. Honestly my only two reasons for using Sonos the past few years. 

This is now confirmed to be present and working again! Thank you community! 

Thanks for the suggestions Buzz but I already knew that and held off updating the app on my iPad and wife’s iPhone.  It’s just disappointing that Sonos would remove such a basic and useful feature.  Hopefully they will add this back in the next update, it’s a deal killer for me.

So dumb. New app is lame, no reason to update the old one. And yeah, dual mono disappeared…why? Like they had to remove something?!?!? ADD something useful! The app is not intuitive. It’s slower (by a LOT!). “Main menu” page is dumb. It was fiiiiiiiiiine. Update for the sake of an update that was totally unnecessary and is worse not better. 

Just came here to say the new app sucks balls. Give us Dual Mono back!

Add dual mono back please!! I bought Sonos amp because of the dual mono feature.

also your advertising on the Sonos amp still says stereo or dual mono

The whole app experience has been disappointing. The upgrade forced me to update each device individually. 

And I’m in the same dilemma with Dual Mono -- what sense did it make to remove that? It’s not as if the app changed the way the device handled a load.

Just crap.

Yeah, my outdoor speakers need to run in mono mode to accommodate the zones I have set up, otherwise they sound terrible. The deck gets one channel and the patio gets another.

I talked with support yesterday. They claimed dual mono was a feature which would be returning as updates to the app were rolled out.

Just finished installing 4 outdoor speakers and my brand new Sonos Amp…which I got specifically to run everything in dual mono mode. Of course my outdoor setup sounds really off due to the forced stereo image. Definitely NOT a good first impression for the new Amp. They can’t bring back this dual mono feature fast enough…

Is there any chance of an ETA on bringing the feature back? Thanks for monitoring these posts and keeping us informed.

I have the same problem. Bought the amp because of dual moni feature and now this... Disappointed.... Never buying Sonos again!

Thanks, glad to know it’s still there in the S1 app. I may pursue that.  Can you also confirm that even in dual mono mode, it’s still one zone control?  It such a bummer if so.  I intuitively thought with “dual” mono I’d be able to get control of those volumes separately. 

When is this going back into Android? Unacceptable.

That would strike me as very odd. My impression had always been that the iOS app and the Android apps were merely different exports from the same codebase. This is certainly the way we did game development, with a single codebase, and two exports, one for each OS.

I would certainly be tempted to do a full power cycle of the system, including the router. I’d also run another software update process after that, to ensure that both the Android controller was on the current version of 80.03.06, and that the Amps in question are updated to the latest firmware. 

That would strike me as very odd. My impression had always been that the iOS app and the Android apps were merely different exports from the same codebase.

Hi @Airgetlam, I was under the same impression … but that is not the case. I am running the new app on iOS and Android, and there are any number of things broken/missing in the Android app. For example:

• Artwork for local library music does not show up
  • Sonos Favorites of local library music are grayed out (not functional)

On the other hand, the new Android app has the distinct advantage that you can replace it quite easily with the v16.1 app via sideloading.  ;-)

I still do not see the dual mono option on my system. It has the latest software.

I don’t mean to ask a separate question on this thread, but found this while looking into dual mono mode myself.  Is this mode suitable to use in single speaker situations?  I am doing a remodel and have one room where I will only have a single speaker.  I’m wondering if I need a stereo speaker or if I can just use a sonos amp I have in dual mono mode with only one speaker connected.  I was told the mono mode may be designed for TV audio signals and not music listening purposes, but have seen a lot of people seem to use it for music applications so figured I’d ask this group who clearly uses it!

Happy to hear the feature will be returning. Here’s another vote to give it priority! This is an integral part of my business and every day adds hundreds of customers listening to shit audio, to be honest. Thanks for rushing this one :)

This is now confirmed to be present and working again! Thank you community! 

I think for now, this is an IOS only feature.

I wish they would get this feature and all the other missing features ported over to the Android app. Fortunately I was able to get someone else with an iOS device to set my amp to mono mode for my outdoor speakers.

That would strike me as very odd. My impression had always been that the iOS app and the Android apps were merely different exports from the same codebase. This is certainly the way we did game development, with a single codebase, and two exports, one for each OS.

I would certainly be tempted to do a full power cycle of the system, including the router. I’d also run another software update process after that, to ensure that both the Android controller was on the current version of 80.03.06, and that the Amps in question are updated to the latest firmware. 

From the Sonos software update release notes:

"Added stereo or mono configuration for Amp/Port output on iOS."

So mostly an IOS only option at this point. I have an ipad so wiill check if option appears on the app.