Why isn't there a Play:1 battery?

• 9 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
Maybe I'm nuts and there wouldn't be demand for this, but I would love to be able to pop a Play:1 on a battery stand and take it out back when we have a BBQ. It would probably be about 2 inches tall, and could be wider than the Play:1 to give it good balance. The Play:1 really is designed for this, with the power input on the bottom, it would be easy. I'm also surprised there isn't a third party hack to do this - unless I'm wrong? If Alibaba doesn't have it, it probably doesn't exist. Thoughts? Am I out in left field on this? I know it would have to be connected to wifi, but in this day and age, that's not a challenge for many people, to just get a bit of wifi coverage in their backyard.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It's not a daft idea and has been requested on many threads. But if your wireless connection van get there, a power extension cable seems a pretty simple and inexpensive solution,.
Badge +1
Yeah it is, and that's what I do. But I find myself hating doing it. I don't like having to run around with the cable and crane over to get to the power outlet outside.
I'm going to second this idea as there are lots of reasons Sonos users might want music portability while still being well within Wi-Fi range. For instance, rearranging for a house party, grilling on the back deck, washing the car, et cetera. All places where you may not have a handy outlet but may still be well within Wi-Fi range. It would also (hopefully) avoid the headache of music disruption and reestablishing Sonos network connection caused when unplugging and plugging back in.

Feature Suggestion(s):
- In a manner of speaking, 'always on' attached base that secures in place via the mount (and possibly also uses base geometry for further stability/rigidity)
- Base plugs/unplugs easily from wall outlet AT BASE (to increase portability by leaving the cord behind)
- 'Hot swap', meaning you can unplug the base without the speaker turning off. Base can also be plugged back in without disruption.

1-2 hours of playtime for a Play:1 would be amazing. Even less would be valuable, though I am sure what people would pay would fall as playtime falls.

This could also be another product version, e.g. Play Expand, where it's a modified Play:1 or Play One with a bottom cap to protect an internal DC plug/outlet where the base plugs into for more efficient power storage/transmission? I have five Play:1's throughout the house in addition to other Sonos speakers and yet I would absolutely buy another speaker, e.g. Play Expand, if I could get the added mobility from just one speaker!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I’ve used my Play:1 speaker outdoors on the patio. WiFi signal is plenty strong and Sonos doesn’t miss a beat.

I connect it to a Ravpower Powerstation series portable battery.
Output power is 110v/70w

Here it is powering my Sonos Beam.???