Why isn't there a Play:1 battery?

• 9 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
Maybe I'm nuts and there wouldn't be demand for this, but I would love to be able to pop a Play:1 on a battery stand and take it out back when we have a BBQ. It would probably be about 2 inches tall, and could be wider than the Play:1 to give it good balance. The Play:1 really is designed for this, with the power input on the bottom, it would be easy. I'm also surprised there isn't a third party hack to do this - unless I'm wrong? If Alibaba doesn't have it, it probably doesn't exist. Thoughts? Am I out in left field on this? I know it would have to be connected to wifi, but in this day and age, that's not a challenge for many people, to just get a bit of wifi coverage in their backyard.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It's not a daft idea and has been requested on many threads. But if your wireless connection van get there, a power extension cable seems a pretty simple and inexpensive solution,.
I'm going to second this idea as there are lots of reasons Sonos users might want music portability while still being well within Wi-Fi range. For instance, rearranging for a house party, grilling on the back deck, washing the car, et cetera. All places where you may not have a handy outlet but may still be well within Wi-Fi range. It would also (hopefully) avoid the headache of music disruption and reestablishing Sonos network connection caused when unplugging and plugging back in.

Feature Suggestion(s):
- In a manner of speaking, 'always on' attached base that secures in place via the mount (and possibly also uses base geometry for further stability/rigidity)
- Base plugs/unplugs easily from wall outlet AT BASE (to increase portability by leaving the cord behind)
- 'Hot swap', meaning you can unplug the base without the speaker turning off. Base can also be plugged back in without disruption.

1-2 hours of playtime for a Play:1 would be amazing. Even less would be valuable, though I am sure what people would pay would fall as playtime falls.

This could also be another product version, e.g. Play Expand, where it's a modified Play:1 or Play One with a bottom cap to protect an internal DC plug/outlet where the base plugs into for more efficient power storage/transmission? I have five Play:1's throughout the house in addition to other Sonos speakers and yet I would absolutely buy another speaker, e.g. Play Expand, if I could get the added mobility from just one speaker!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I’ve used my Play:1 speaker outdoors on the patio. WiFi signal is plenty strong and Sonos doesn’t miss a beat.

I connect it to a Ravpower Powerstation series portable battery.
Output power is 110v/70w

Here it is powering my Sonos Beam.???
Badge +1
Yeah it is, and that's what I do. But I find myself hating doing it. I don't like having to run around with the cable and crane over to get to the power outlet outside.