Answered

sonos app is utterly useless

• 1 November 2021
  • 6 replies

So disappointed with my Sonos. Cannot connect via the app. 

Always says "cannot find existing Sonos system" .

Yet a scheduled playlist I set up years ago on Plex still regularly plays at 7:30 everyday. 

How is it that Plex can connect to Sonos without a hitch to but the official Sonos app fails. 

I had plans on buying a Sonos for every room of my house, but that would be a waste of my time and money.

I have tried Sonos support and I'm tired of being told it's my WiFi that is the problem. I have superb WiFi.  The app fails to connect even when I plug a network cable directly.

You have lost my business Sonos. Congratulations on your total failure.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 November 2021, 14:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I feel your pain, I have suffered a similar fate the only difference being I am saddled with 7 of these duds. 
I have been told that it’s my WiFi, it’s my neighbour’s WiFi, glass in my house, the construction of my house, other items of tech such  as a ring doorbell, all of which could be true, but every advisor has their own view of what issue is causing my system to fail. My favourite was a solar storm!

posting on here is a waste of time as the respondents are all fan boys who take offence at us naysayers, how dare we suggest that Sonos is anything other than perfect

The only time Sonos have responded is to remove a post they didn’t like the tone off. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

OP, do you want help or are you just posting to gripe? 

The vast majority of users do not have issues, but they do happen. I’ve had a few over the years but now have a stable, reliable system.  If you do want to try and get your system please add some more info on your set up and environment the speakers are in.  Do you have any speakers connected via the rent, the app version, what speakers you have etc etc.  

So disappointed with my Sonos. Cannot connect via the app. 

Always says "cannot find existing Sonos system" .

Yet a scheduled playlist I set up years ago on Plex still regularly plays at 7:30 everyday. 

How is it that Plex can connect to Sonos without a hitch to but the official Sonos app fails. 

Your Sonos speaker streams music services directly.  With your playlist scheduled, the speaker itself will access Plex to play the music, the app is not involved at all.   The app on your device trying to connect to your speakers is not the same as your speakers connecting to the internet.  I get that that’s not helpful to your problem, but just answering your question.

I had plans on buying a Sonos for every room of my house, but that would be a waste of my time and money.

I have tried Sonos support and I'm tired of being told it's my WiFi that is the problem. I have superb WiFi.  The app fails to connect even when I plug a network cable directly.

You have lost my business Sonos. Congratulations on your total failure.

I would agree that it makes no sense to purchase more Sonos till this issue gets worked out.  Not sure what’s going on with your setup, what did Sonos support tell you about it?  For those who have had connectivity issues, it’s not uncommon for them to believe their WiFi is fine because every other device on their network works fine.  I’m not an expert at networking issues by any means, but there have many on here that had the network issue resolved even though they believed their WiFi was just fine.

@BTurvey,

I agree with @bockersjv - such connection matters, can be unrelated to the Sonos software. As an example you only need to encounter a router that has Wireless AP isolation, or is blocking SSDP multicast messaging, to run into such issues, or have a ‘managed switch’ setup incorrectly, or perhaps wireless extenders operating on different channels/subnet and such issues can arise. 

My son-in-law had an issue following an update to his BT Smart Hub router this weekend that disabled the 2.4Ghz WiFi band from talking to the 5Ghz band - it just need a checkbox change on the router to fix the issue for Sonos to work again.

For many hundreds of thousands of Homes, Sonos products and their accompanying Apps work just fine… it’s sometimes (often) an issue somewhere else in the network environment that needs to be addressed. So it’s helpful to provide as much detail as you can to try to help resolve the situation.

Of course it’s true to say, that sometimes their can be hardware compatibility issues with a few network or mobile devices and sometimes the only way around that kind of problem it to lookout for software updates or perhaps try to change the hardware. Fortunately those sort of things are few and far between, but usually there’s information about such devices on this forum and elsewhere online.

The best thing really is to describe your setup in detail, the issues you are seeing with any error messages and then see if the matter can be resolved with the help of folk here in the community or perhaps by later contacting Sonos customer support. A good many things can and do get resolved for the majority.

Hi.  Given your experience I can understand why you are disappointed and disillusioned with Sonos. It's your choice whether you say "enough is enough" or put some effort in to resolve the issues. 

When someone says that a user's network is the cause of the problems, they aren't saying that the network is faulty. It may just be that a network setting needs to be changed.

There are lots of knowledgeable users on here who should be able to help you. Give us a chance.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Can I just reiterate that most people buy Sonos from high street stores, at no point are they made aware that they will potentially need to battle with the technology.  My main peeve is that Sonos’ technical help desk is virtually useless and that they lean too heavily on this forum. 
I feel that a lot of ‘normal’ people are intimidated and confounded by the level of IT skills required to access help on here. 
as I’ve said before Sonos should have a network of engineers that can attend site to set up these systems (at a cost to the end user) or market the appropriately. i.e as professional systems, not plug and play. They in short should caveat their sales literature.

just saying!