Answered

Cost a fortune and for what?

• 23 January 2021
  • 21 replies

I have had all 3 of my products linked to my original app for years. My wife left I changed system ownership, put wifi boosters in my house and when I did, randomly, my 3 kept working but my 1 and 5 aren't visible to the app. It doesn't allow wireless setup and I have factory reset both speakers and they still aren't visible. $1100 in stereo equipment that I am learning was designed proprietary to suck a degree it is literally the opposite of user friendly. Suggestions?? I'm thinking firepit at this point...

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 January 2021, 20:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Do it my friend, burn that s***, I should’ve and save myself two years of heart ache. 
Ps you’re wasting your time bitching here this is a forum for Sonos  geeks that won’t hear a bad word about their beloved Sonos. 
please post pictures when you torch this crap. 
happy new year John B btw 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you still want help, please tell us more about what wifi boosters. Are they 2,4 GHZ or 5, or both? What make and type? Set up as access point? Different network name or the same? Are the two speakers you can’t set up close to the boosters?

If you still want help, please tell us more about what wifi boosters. Are they 2,4 GHZ or 5, or both? What make and type? Set up as access point? Different network name or the same? Are the two speakers you can’t set up close to the boosters?

I have one (sonos 3)  sitting next to a booster that has it's own network name that works on a booster it isnt next to. One (sonos 5) sitting next to the booster that my app says sonos is on that doesn't work and one (sonos 1) in the basement with the main modem (12' away) that doesn't work the main is an arrris t320p, boosters are from telus the make isnt obvious. I'd appreciate some help for sure.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Hdhgsgsyshbeuzjxvvsuxb3bdh 

Long story short all Sonos need to be on the same network including your controller.

Appears you are using some sort of Mesh network.  In a mesh network there is one node designated as the main that carries the network name (SSID), password and has DHCP capability. The other satilite nodes (or boosters as you call them) should only join the main node as extensions of the network. No satellite node should have it’s own name (SSID) password or DHCP capability. 

It’s been my experience that in a Mesh network environment Sonos works best when in wired (boost) mode to establish the SonosNet which is achieved in one of two ways:

1. Wire a speaker to the main node
  2. Wire a Sonos Boost Module to the main node

FYI, I have a mesh network using a Boost Module to establish the SonosNet.

Hi @Hdhgsgsyshbeuzjxvvsuxb3bdh 

Long story short all Sonos need to be on the same network including your controller.

Appears you are using some sort of Mesh network.  In a mesh network there is one node designated as the main that carries the network name (SSID), password and has DHCP capability. The other satilite nodes (or boosters as you call them) should only join the main node as extensions of the network. No satellite node should have it’s own name (SSID) password or DHCP capability. 

It’s been my experience that in a Mesh network environment Sonos works best when in wired (boost) mode to establish the SonosNet which is achieved in one of two ways:

1. Wire a speaker to the main node
  2. Wire a Sonos Boost Module to the main node

FYI, I have a mesh network using a Boost Module to establish the SonosNet.

Each of the boosters has it's own ssid and no lan output.  Just an input needed to run them. The boosters are in the rooms where the speakers are and there is only one jack in each room. I had wireless speakers I need wireless speakers I bought wireless speakers but I need to wire them? Why do these "wifi" speakers not see available wifi networks??? I have an app to control wifi and an app to control sonos. This is crap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Your set up is consists of more networks - or at least more network names, making it hard for Sonos to build a consistent network. Must be frustrating.

You only need to wire one of your speakers - to your router. Then the wired speaker will set up a Sonosnet. All your speakers will turn to that. If they’ve done that, make them forget the wifi credentials, just to make sure.

If you do not want to wire a speaker, wire a Boost.

Your set up is consists of more networks - or at least more network names, making it hard for Sonos to build a consistent network. Must be frustrating.

You only need to wire one of your speakers - to the first node. Then the wired speaker will set up a Sonosnet. All your speakers will turn to that. If they’ve done that, make them forget the wifi credentials, just to make sure.

If you do not want to wire a speaker, wire a Boost.

So just another $150 hey... perfect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So to summarise:

1    You had a working system;

2    You changed the network to one that seems to be limited in how you can set it up;

3    You came onto this forum to complain that your changes make the system stop working;

4    You were given advice on ways to get the system back up and running;

5    You’re still not happy. 

Is that it?

Userlevel 7

@Hdhgsgsyshbeuzjxvvsuxb3bdh 

Obviously, you don’t understand or you just want Sonos to work according to your network configuration.

LISTEN UP...YOU CANNOT HAVE MULTIPLE NODES (OR BOOSTERS AS YOU CALL THEM) GENERATING THIER OWN NETWORK WITH SSID, PASSWORD AND DHCP CAPABILITY. 

If you don’t want to follow the advice being given then there’s no point wasting your time or those in this community with your complaints.

To paraphrase...You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Nor is Alchemy an option (making gold from base metals or whatever electronic voodoo you want to employ).

Obviously, you don’t understand or you just want Sonos to work according to your network configuration.

LISTEN UP...YOU CANNOT HAVE MULTIPLE NODES (OR BOOSTERS AS YOU CALL THEM) GENERATING THIER OWN NETWORK WITH SSID, PASSWORD AND DHCP CAPABILITY. 

If you don’t want to follow the advice being given then there’s no point wasting your time or those in this community with your complaints.

To paraphrase...You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Nor is Alchemy an option (making gold from base metals or whatever electronic voodoo you want to employ).

True. I dont know the first think about wifi, only what ISP sold me. What I know is, it did work and now it doesn't. The network it worked on is still active in this house. As soon as I get advise that's free of unfamiliar acronyms and I'll follow it. I am a refrigeration mechanic I am familiar with alchemy, chemistry, physics and several other sciences. This cant be very complicated once I know what your talking about... I can control the biggest cold storage food warehouse in the country from my cellphone. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*

Userlevel 7

Well...do what you do… Mr. Freeze!

You know alchemy?  Wow, if I could turn lead into gold, I sure wouldn't be working as a refrigerator mechanic.

You know alchemy?  Wow, if I could turn lead into gold, I sure wouldn't be working as a refrigerator mechanic.

No such thing as a refrigerator mechanic, go back to Facebook with your comments.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*

So to summarise:

1    You had a working system;

2    You changed the network to one that seems to be limited in how you can set it up;

3    You came onto this forum to complain that your changes make the system stop working;

4    You were given advice on ways to get the system back up and running;

5    You’re still not happy. 

Is that it?

No. I had a network that continuously dropped every every device on it. I talked to my internet service provider and they installed net work expanders of some kind. They worked excellent my computers televisions and gaming platforms no longer drop out. Godam sonos is all the way gone. Cept one random speaker. Attempt to contact sonos. Ignored. Nearly the most expensive and for some reason popular wifi speakers and no manufacturer support. So I come on the forum for a bunch of 5 sentence replies full of acronyms I dont understand.  I'll say again. The network that ran sonos is still active in this house. Yet suddenly sonos can't see it. There is no way I am the only isp client that installed their boosters and owns sonos, there is far too much advertising for both. I am to understand that all of them were cool with dropping an additional 150-200 on yet another network hub they didnt used to need..? Doubt it.

No such thing as a refrigerator mechanic clown, go back to Facebook with your useless comments.

Refrigeration/refrigerator. Tomayto/tomahto.  At least I’m not claiming knowledge of a middle-age philosophy that thought it could turn lead into gold as a point on my resume.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

No such thing as a refrigerator mechanic clown, go back to Facebook with your useless comments.

Refrigeration/refrigerator. Tomayto/tomahto.  At least I’m not claiming knowledge of a middle-age philosophy that thought it could turn lead into gold as a point on my resume.

is Alchemy how one makes ‘fool’s gold’ ? 

Not sure if you are serious, but no.  Fool's gold is iron pyrite, a naturally occurring mineral.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Not sure if you are serious, but no.  Fool's gold is iron pyrite, a naturally occurring mineral.

no. It was not a serious question. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hello. 

Your wifi extenders can continue to be used for wifi throughout your house however they cannot be used for Sonos. 

do not fear, the solution is simple. Factory reset all your speakers. Hard wire one speaker (or boost) directly to you main router. Follow the app instructions to add other speakers. That’s it. 

sonos will create its own sonosmesh and your speakers will have their own mesh network. 

For best results connect to the main wifi network on your phone when using the app. 

cheers

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi huntsman 180 I’ve had similar issues and I’ve tried setting up the Sonos mesh with little success, what are the limitations of the mesh and is there anything that can be done to boost it ?

I suppose another question should be what aspects have a negative impact on the mesh?

SonosNet is essentially a separate mesh wifi network, for all practical purposes. That means it is equally affected by  wifi interference as your normal wifi network. So all of the things around that, including distance from electronic devices, overlapping channels, etc, are still in affect. It is, unfortunately, not a silver bullet of any kind, but is the way the system was originally designed to work, if I recall correctly. This is the reason why the BRIDGE was originally given away for free, and then sold later (again, I think, I’m a bit hazy on this) at a reduced cost. They were designed to create a link (or BRIDGE, if I’m forced in to the silliness that is Sonos product naming) from your LAN to the Sonos devices that would connect to SonosNet. Later on, Sonos made it possible to connect directly to your wifi, which would reduce the number of wireless signals in your house, but move that data stream from a separate SonosNet signal on to your wifi signal. 

The BRIDGE has subsequently been supplanted by the BOOST, which is a more robust device for many reasons. I happen to use two of them today, one to create the SonosNet signal, as it is connected to my router, the second as a midway repeater device, getting a better signal from the closest speaker to the farthest speakers in my home. 

Since SonosNet is indeed a mesh system, placing either a speaker, or as I have done, another BOOST in between where you have solid signal, and degraded signal would help. Many people use a speaker to do that duty, as it does exactly the same thing, joining the mesh, reinforcing it, and broadcasting to other speakers on the mesh. 

This is where lots of folks seem to fail in their understanding of how Sonos works. Unlike the grand majority (IMHO) of network devices that are point to outside source, Sonos spends a “lot” (we can debate how much, and I’m not an expert, but there’s some) time talking between each device, not only on SonosNet, but in a standard Wifi configuration as well. I’d assume some/all of that is timing confirmation, keeping all speakers in sync, but I’m sure an engineer or network expert can chime in with greater knowledge.

It’s an unfortunate side issue that so many mesh networks don’t always pass data between nodes, as I understand it. They certainly use the same SSID, but sometimes split the network into separate subnets, which then block the normal Sonos communication between speakers. This is why you’ll see folk on this board often recommend the SonosNet solution. It both gets the music stream off your wifi (which normally shouldn’t be a big consideration, but especially on heavy duty usage, or line-in usage, can be more dense and subsequently sensitive to interference) and allows all the speakers to be on the same subnet, and talk to each other. Which in some cases, does seem like a silver bullet :)

That FAQ I linked above does have a lot of potential issues and solutions to look at in a local environment. One of the key things I don’t think is always stressed as much as it could be is the potential for outside sources. People tend to think of their local network as a sacrosanct thing, when in fact there are many outside influences. Perhaps due to the fact that I’ve needed to deal with a couple of them before makes me more aware? I’ve had both a failing microwave affect signal to a pair of PLAY:1s, as well as having a new neighbor come in and over saturate (from my perspective) a band I was using for SonosNet, so simply changing to one of the other bands, making sure it wasn’t overlapping with my normal network channel, was key, and continues to work.

I’m not a network expert by any means. You’ll frequently see me not respond to areas in which I don’t feel that my limited knowledge is as useful as some other members of this community. That’s a choice I’ve made.

Sonos does have, as I recall, somewhere, a recommendation that if you have a large number of speakers, they recommend a wired solution, so that the speakers are on SonosNet. I don’t recall where that recommendation is, or if there was a specific number (greater than 5? 10?), but since I started off using a BRIDGE back in the day, I’ve always run on SonosNet. Just like any extra network in my home, it requires some initial testing when set up, and I may need to look at it if there’s any issues, but I’ve been a Sonos user for years and years, with essentially no issues on SonosNet. 

And no, I don’t use any special tools to look at how strong my network is. I use my ears to figure out if the SonosNet system is being impacted.