Beware the Amazon Echo Dot scam before you buy!

• 16 April 2017
  • 91 replies

Badge
I am now the unhappy owner of two Sonos Play 1s falling for the scam of a "partnership" with Amazon allowing users to send music from the Echo to a Sonos Play 1.
Turns out the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!! I will be publishing more on my YouTube channel. I will also mention the junk software that other users complain about skipping to next song before the current song has completed playing.
Please feel free to see my review of the Play 1 versus the UE Boom 2 on YouTube.

Moderation Edit by Ryan S: Removed self-promoted youtube video link which is against community rules.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Yes, this thread really is hall of fame quality.
Absolutely hilarious thread, even made me come out of retirement to post.

Got my first Echo dot today. Bloody Sonos, they have only gone and provided voice integration on my ZP100s, which were made back when voice integration was on Star Trek only. And then they have dared charge me the principle sum of nothing for this added functionality across my system. But the lazy buggers haven't bothered implementing the bluetooth protocol in my old hardware - just beggars belief really!

So that is voice control across 4*ZP100, 1*ZP80, 1*Play5, Playbar/Sub/2*Play1s, 4 more Play 1s all for nothing. Some of this stuff is 12-years old and is still cutting edge.

(Whatever happened to Squeezebox - that had Bluetooth didn't it?)

Although what is disappointing is that they have failed to implement some functionality that Alexa can't support right now 😉. Like permanently linking a dot to a zone to avoid having to instruct an action on a zone. I suppose if you have spent £200 on one Play1 you might not understand the multi-room thing and the need to address the where as well as the what.

Now does anyone want to put a bet on. Current version of Amazon Echo vs a 12-year old ZP100. Competition ends when one dies, becomes practically unsupported, or another 12-years is up?:D
Yes, this thread really is hall of fame quality.
Userlevel 2
Just registered.
Hilarious.
Thanks Sean.
This thread is really funny in a frustrating way.

To reiterate:

The echo will hear your command and send the command to the sonos speaker VIA the internet/wifi and NOT via bluetooth. Just wait for Oct 4th ok?
Badge
Oh no, I too have just read this thread.... my eyes are bleeding
Userlevel 2
Badge
Jeez, just read this thread, Seanorama the thing that strikes me most is really that you have quite a bad way of communicating with people - quite aggressive and condesending which would be hard to pull of even if you were a highly respected technical expert (which clearly isn't the case). It does set a bad tone from the offset, might want to just consider how you engage with others to get the most helpful information.

I bought two pet rocks recently. The more expensive one didn't even support touchless rollover. I was impressed by the IP68 rating on the cheaper model though. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY!!!

I'll be covering all of these stunning developments on my Youtube channel very soon.

Link please! 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Sorry, I wouldn't trust you to give advice on buying a pet rock. You got more wrong about the product in a single post than anyone I have seen in almost 10 years posting here. Your "Turns out the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!!" statement as proof of an "Amazon Echo Dot scam" will go down as a Top 3 craziest things ever posted.

I bought two pet rocks recently. The more expensive one didn't even support touchless rollover. I was impressed by the IP68 rating on the cheaper model though. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY!!!

I'll be covering all of these stunning developments on my Youtube channel very soon.

Please have someone help you with my video. I chose the Sonos because it sounds better. That was obvious. Watch the video, have someone help you with comprehension then post.

Sorry, I wouldn't trust you to give advice on buying a pet rock. You got more wrong about the product in a single post than anyone I have seen in almost 10 years posting here. Your "Turns out the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!!" statement as proof of an "Amazon Echo Dot scam" will go down as a Top 3 craziest things ever posted.
Badge
No matter when it is released, it is most certainly not being hampered by the fact "the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!!" Not to mention the OP's spamming his "Play 1 versus the UE Boom 2" video on YouTube as "proof", a video in which he chooses the Play:1!

So where is his apology for that nonsense?

Please have someone help you with my video. I chose the Sonos because it sounds better. That was obvious. Watch the video, have someone help you with comprehension then post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I personally did play around with the new Alexa multiroom between Alexa devices. Very clunky to try to do only by voice. It works but not something I would want for my whole home experience. It used it a bit because o don’t have a Sonos device in my main house at our vacation home but have a Sonos connect at the small boathouse where we do most of our s listening. With an echo dot that was down at boat house I was able to play music to the Sonos unit and the unit in main house in sync which was nice. Was good for playing a single song or a radio station but interface severely lacking when it comes to wanting to play multiple songs or playlists.

Sonos still has the experience beat by a mile. I just need to invest in a play 1 for the main house (or Sonos come out with a new speaker compelling enough for me to add to my home and replace one of my current play:1s so I can move it there).

Really same experience as when I had my dot hooked to play:5 which should be similar experience to what we are expecting from Sonos direct support. Great for throwing on a song or radio station. It no substitute for a good controller for the full listening experience. Voice won’t change that - it is a convenience only for simple tasks.
No matter when it is released, it is most certainly not being hampered by the fact "the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!!" Not to mention the OP's spamming his "Play 1 versus the UE Boom 2" video on YouTube as "proof", a video in which he chooses the Play:1!

So where is his apology for that nonsense?
It's been a long time since I started this thread and I have yet to see the troll bullies who wanted to talk big (probably smart enough to keep quiet in public) apologize for the still no Sonos/Echo system! .

Amazon just released the Connected Speaker API last week, after a year in development. No one, not Sonos, not Bose, not Denon, has been able to release Alexa support yet, while this API was in the works. Most are now saying they will have support in October. Sonos isn't saying, but there's plenty of press around their October 4th press conference.

Do yourself a favor, stick to the facts, not your own invented nonsense. You're the only one needing to apologize.
It's been a long time since I started this thread and I have yet to see the troll bullies who wanted to talk big (probably smart enough to keep quiet in public) apologize for the still no Sonos/Echo system! And now the company usually latest to all games... Wait for it... Apple! is going to produce the HomePod speaker system!! Years after everyone else! And the Sonos app is still junk.

*YAWN*

Sonos promised it by the end of 2017. We will see who has the last laugh come December 31 (or maybe even earlier, like October 4th).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Voice is for convenience Controller will always be best way to actually control. That said appears Sonos is ready for first to have third party support for alexa yet still gets bashed for being “behind”
It's been a long time since I started this thread and I have yet to see the troll bullies who wanted to talk big (probably smart enough to keep quiet in public) apologize for the still no Sonos/Echo system!
Aye, Sonos have been failing badly in that regard.
Sigh
Badge
It's been a long time since I started this thread and I have yet to see the troll bullies who wanted to talk big (probably smart enough to keep quiet in public) apologize for the still no Sonos/Echo system! And now the company usually latest to all games... Wait for it... Apple! is going to produce the HomePod speaker system!! Years after everyone else! And the Sonos app is still junk.
Umm...my sailor son uses whatsapp to do this. But it is a good saying, nonetheless.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Expect me when you see me, as every sailor says to his spouse on departure!
Lol. So old school. Now even the sailor phones home to inform his (or her) spouse of the arrival date.
Expect me when you see me, as every sailor says to his spouse on departure!
Agree
This is the assumption many made. It appears the implementation is more complex and more dependent upon the engineers from Amazon as well as Sonos. Sonos reps have subsequently stated this is a full implementation, not a simple use of Alexa Rules. As such, some early assumptions made as to the ease and length of the development process appear to be off the mark.

Now, playing devil's advocate, the above does not preclude that the development has hit a rough patch, and Sonos' blatant ambiguity in the original announcement cen be seen a preventitive measure if such difficulties should arise. Nobody ever complained when something was delivered early, the opposite? Not so much. Which is why although Sonos not giving specific timelines may bring out impatience, it ultimately wards off the cries of ineptitude or false advertising (the OP of this silly thread aside).
After reviewing the actual news release I found the following which was released in 2016; "The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017." So based on this information it would imply that a beta version(s) was developed and released for testing end of 2016 with general availability in 2017 so.. one would think that it would be release within several months after beta testing, OK maybe 6 months after Beta. What's interesting I don't see any Beta program(s) today, we the public can only speculate without any real information from the company at hand. hence the origins of my beginning post.
@jgatie, I stand corrected 😳