Beware the Amazon Echo Dot scam before you buy!

• 16 April 2017
  • 91 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

@Toolio, I agree with you whole heartily. With some of the responses that I'm seeing from my original enquiry other than @Rayan S who I would expect to see a company response (as he indicates he is SONO staff), there seems to be either push back and/or resistance to ask a simple question to establish what timeframe (which quarter in 2017) SONO is planning to deliver a Dot solution. I for one am happy that SONO is at least working on a DOT/SONO solution but moving from a position from earlier 2017 to sometime in 2017 doesn't instill any confides that the solution would be available anytime soon or are we awaiting for Christmas release...

Once again, Sonos never moved from early 2017 to sometime in 2017. Since the very first official press release, they stated only "in 2017". Many, me included, assumed that meant early 2017. We were wrong.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@ there seems to be either push back and/or resistance to ask a simple question to establish what timeframe (which quarter in 2017) SONO is planning to deliver a Dot solution.
That's typical of a select group in this community. There is Ryan, a nice person who has every right to behave like a Sonos employee because he is one. Then there is a small group of frequent contributors here who seem to have assumed the mantle of Sonos-can-do-no-wrong fanbois. At times they can be downright rude. I just put it down to them having too much free time on their hands, given that some have made thousands of posts here. It's why I frequent this community less and less. I find the tone of some members disturbing. Of course, the tone of some less participatory members can border on the absurd as well, as evidenced by this discussion.
@Toolio, I agree with you whole heartily. With some of the responses that I'm seeing from my original enquiry other than @Rayan S who I would expect to see a company response (as he indicates he is SONO staff), there seems to be either push back and/or resistance to ask a simple question to establish what timeframe (which quarter in 2017) SONO is planning to deliver a Dot solution. I for one am happy that SONO is at least working on a DOT/SONO solution but moving from a position from earlier 2017 to sometime in 2017 doesn't instill any confides that the solution would be available anytime soon or are we awaiting for Christmas release...
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
As a Canadian living in Brasil, I can't purchase Echo gear in either my native country or my adopted country. But I picked up a bunch of Dots in Florida a few weeks ago. They're great fun, and I understand why Sonos had to say something. I've already started looking for Echo compatibility in new gadgets, and I suspect that is part of the buying decision for many people these days. If didn't already have Sonos equipment and I thought that it would not work with Echo, I probably wouldn't buy Sonos if I were a new customer. It was wise of Sonos to plan to jump on the bandwagon and to let people know that at some point they will actually land on the wagon.
In my long years of software development and release, not once has slippage been regarded as anything other than negative. Nor is it ever ameliorated by any amount of transparent communication. Hell, half the people asking for exact deadlines do so on the eagerly anticipated announcement that the deadline may not be met so they can blast away again.

Sonos said this year. They've never wavered from that. There's your deadline. They've also stated it will work with all present and past Alexa devices, a fact which should be more than enough to justify any plans for an Alexa purchase.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We totally understand wanting a timeline. This is exciting work and we can't wait ourselves, but for now, we aren't ready to publish a timeline beyond availability this year. If there's any opportunity for beta testing or we're able to announce the time schedules we'll make sure to let everyone know, you'll just have to be patient.

I'll make sure the team knows you're interested and also I'll share your suggestion that we share more details on the timeline with the team that makes those decisions. Thanks for the support and we're glad you're excited too!
Hear what you said, however being from a tech company one normally post development/release targets to keep the customer base aware and if slippage occurs then transparent communications works wonders. No false pretenses and if one is planning to purchase Alexa/Echo it would give the customers a timeframe to prepare for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos doesn't give timetables as a general rule as it just causes complaints if it takes longer. I think most of us expect something this summer.
"Belay my last", I see that there is "Alexa/Echo yet?" thread that address my concern(s) however SONOs staff seems to be vague as to when (timeframe). I would have thought if it is not early 2017 (typically that's equated to 1st Quarter of the year which would be end of April) then a newly revised available timeframe would be appreciated as I'm sure that software development has said target date that their working to.
Hi Mike. A bit of a shame that you happened upon this thread, rather than one of the saner ones on the topic. But is it not clear from Ryan's post that Sonos / Alexa integration is very definitely being worked on, and will come this year?
@Ryan S thanxs for your post. I would have thought that as Echo's are being sold at a high pace that SONO would be jumping on the band wagon to further promote/integrate their an already exceptional speaker solution.

Voice command via a SONO skills would be great I notice that Logitech has already put their Harmony app/skills on echo which works like a charm via wireless command. How about posting that your working on a solution as it took me a while of pursing this goofy thread to glean your singular reply...:P
Userlevel 2
Wow. I want to thank you for your original post. It is rare I get this level of entertainment for free. As you can see, no one so far agrees with you on any point - but the night is young. You never know. Keep digging.

Now, between you and me, tell me the truth, are you really this clueless or are you doing a gag reel? Much like the guy with one karate lesson, you seem to know just enough to get yourself killed.

The well documented Sonos / Echo partnership has been in the works for well over a year. To bound in and make the ungrounded assessments you made, and then to double down on them, makes you look silly. Please go educate yourself on the platforms and the integration pathway before continuing to dig yourself in deeper.

We are all born ignorant. Some of us choose to remain so. That's what free choice is all about.

Please do continue to yell at the rain. I am enjoying your posts. Perhaps next you could educate on AC vs DC and why this is also a scam. Have a nice day.

Or, as the first poster replied, "whatever".
Lol. Woody Allen would also have gone to town with some of the less odious OP statements about conspiracies and other neuroses!
Internet "experts" like the OP always remind me of the Marshal McLuhan scene in Annie Hall. Always brings a smile to my mug.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The echo dot doesn't play the music it sends the command for Sonos to play the music.

seanorama - example: you add to your Sonos services in the current Sonos controller something like Spotify. When you go into the phone in the Sonos app then and go under Spotify and pick a song - the phone sends a command to Sonos to go out and directly fetch that song via the internet direct to the Sonos unit. The song in that case never goes through your phone (you can turn off phone it won't effect the song or songs playing as Sonos already has the command and is playing direct via the internet).

It is the same with Echo Dot. You tell echo dot you want to play a song on sonos and it will send the command to the Sonos unit to go out and fetch that song directly (via amazon cloud and wifi). The song never goes to the Echo Dot and the Echo Dot never plays the song (and yes Dots when they do play music they do play via Bluetooth or hard wired). But that is irrelevant to the current situation as the echo is just sending commands, it is not acting as an actual player in this case (thus the confusion).

Hopefully you can understand that part of it and why Bluetooth has nothing to do with the intergration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If I can also just jump in real quick I'd like to make a couple things clear to everyone who visits this thread:
  1. It's not a scam.
  2. The Amazon Alexa device and Sonos integration is being worked on, and it'll be available later this year.
  3. The timeline for this development hasn't been announced but we'll be letting everyone know as soon as we're ready to share.
  4. The Dot isn't going to send audio to Sonos over Bluetooth.
This way this will work hasn't been published yet, but it's not going to be through Bluetooth. The Dot and other Alexa devices are all wireless too. The way their voice recognition works is that it records the audio you sent following the wake word and that audio gets sent up to the Amazon cloud wirelessly. That's then translated into commands and they're issued back down to the device via WiFi. No Internet, no voice control.

Once the commands have been translated some unannounced "magic" happens and your Sonos players will take it from there. You'll have to stay tuned for what this all means. Sorry, no spoilers today.
The insults are neither here nor there, other than to demean the utterer. What regulars who joined this thread were plainly concerned about was not leaving nonsensical 'alternative facts' lying around unchallenged, where they could confuse a casual visitor.
Badge +3
I use the yomoni app which accepts my voice commands through my echo dot. I also have a harmony hub which also accepts voice commands. This, as you have rightly pointed out, will not be through bluetooth as sonos does not support but through wifi.

I think they annouced it so early before release because voice control is such a big thing they needed to make an announcement in regards to support for it.
Personally, I hope none of this thread gets moderated away. None of the insults hurled at me, given the source, bothers me in the least. This thread should stand as an embarrassing monument to the OP. Fake news. Complete conviction in his superior understanding of the topic despite having no understanding at all. And delivered with astonishing rudeness, aggression and paucity of linguistic expression. The comparison to President Trump made earlier in this thread was indeed apt.
Seems to me that if you have shown us anything, it is that the video may have been prematurely released. But even to say that for sure, the context surrounding its release needs to be known, and it isn't, as far as I can tell.

The video was released in conjunction with the August press release. It was to announce the partnership between Amazon and Sonos, and as such was merely a device to show how the future integration of that partnership will work. Nothing premature at all, when viewed in context.
"Whatever" was not kind. Moving along is kind. "What most were thinking" is speculation.
You did go on the attack with the whole Hue/Alexa thing. Many people preferred to cloud a real issue with nonsense. I did get to give a good lesson on bluetooth and that was very helpful to many people.

No, "whatever" is merely dismissive. Calling people third graders who need help from their guardians is abusive. And if you saw my Hue/Alexa thing as an attack, you need to get a far thicker skin. But I do love how you've desperately tried to shift your woefull ignorance of how Sonos operates into you schooling us somehow on Bluetooth (Which is most certainly not ZigBee, and vice versa).

By the way, tell us again how the "scam" that is the Sonos/Alexa integration will never work because "Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth", the "Sonos Play1 does not stream. It receives" and, "Sonos does not stream from any sources!!"
Seems to me that if you have shown us anything, it is that the video may have been prematurely released. But even to say that for sure, the context surrounding its release needs to be known, and it isn't, as far as I can tell.
Oh my...
Badge
"Whatever" was not kind. Moving along is kind. "What most were thinking" is speculation.
You did go on the attack with the whole Hue/Alexa thing. Many people preferred to cloud a real issue with nonsense. I did get to give a good lesson on bluetooth and that was very helpful to many people.
Nothing from Sonos has ever officially stated first quarter. The official presser stated 2017. Thats all of 2017. There have been subsequent discussions here that stated end of this year. Your's or other's poor assumptions do not trump Sonos' official statements.

And sir, people replied "whatever" because you had no clue what you were talking about and seemed more intent on pimping your YouTube channel than anything else. "Whatever" was actually much more kind than what most were thinking. They were sparing you embarrassment. You should have taken their hint.