Answered

Which Sonos connection for vinyl?

• 23 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Would love to hook up a record / vinyl player to my Sonos system which is a mixture of play 1’S, a play 3 and a couple of Sonos ones (for Alexa). I’m torn as whether or not to buy a Connect, a Connect Amp or a Play 5??? I understand I need to buy a good quality record player with a preamp, that’s fine but which of the 3 Sonos products so as to have the viny playing throughout the house on the Sonos system? Will any of the 3 Sonos products do that for me? Help appreciated - thanks
icon

Best answer by Kumar 23 September 2018, 14:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Or do I go with a Play 5 so I get an added speaker and just plug my turntable into that? And then it will Group the rest of my Play1s to make it work with Airplay2? And lastly, do I need the turntable to have a preamp (or connected to a separate pre-amp) to work with any of these options?
Yes to all of the above.
Play 1/Connect on their own cannot do Airplay 2.
Thanks Kumar and Joey...
Much appreciated.
Any of them will, since they all have the necessary line in sockets, but the Connect Amp will be wasted unless you plan to also wire a pair of third party speakers to them for another zone/room.
If you can use it, a play 5 is better than a Connect, because for a little more money than a "dumb" Connect, you get a speaker that can output music as well.
Thanks Kumar, that makes so much more sense as the system gains what looks like a great speaker
Kumar, you seem to know so I’ll ask this, whochnis someheat related but with the added question of Airplay2/Siri: I have ten Pre-AirPlay Play1s throughout my home. I would like to connect a Pro-Ject Essential turntable to the system as well as have it and the entire system be AirPlay 2 compatible now. My question is, what do I need, as I want to stick with Sonos? Do I buy a Connect? (Is it AirPlay 2 compatible) or the new Amp coming out. Or do I go with a Play 5 so I get an added speaker and just plug my turntable into that? And then it will Group the rest of my Play1s to make it work with Airplay2? And lastly, do I need the turntable to have a preamp (or connected to a separate pre-amp) to work with any of these options?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I got a Play:5 as I can use it standalone when I'm not using vinyl. Sound quality is great as always.