Which layout - Speaker setup would you go with?

Hi guys, 

I am helping my friend with his Sonos purchase and well I wanted your opinion on the 2 proposed setup: 

Setup A: 

Zone 1: Kitchen/Living room combined → Sonos Amp

Zone 2: Dining Room → Sonos Amp

Zone 3: Family room (Arc sound bar + Gen 3 sub) 

This setup visually looks better and has a steeper price tag, main concern is , is it an overkill? also if 5-10 years down the road he moves, well the in-ceiling speakers stay! 

Total: 10 in-ceiling speakers | 2 Sonos Amp | 2 Era 300 | 1 Arc Soundbar | 1 Gen 3 Sub 

Setup B: 

Zone 1: Kitchen

Zone 2: Mid-Kitchen 

Zone 3: Living Room

Zone 4: Dinning Room (group the 2 Era 100 with 2 Era 300) 

Zone 5: Family Room (identical in both plans)

Main benefit, cost is lower as Era 100s are cheaper and no Sonos Amp is required, in addition if he moves, he can take the speakers with him! 

PS) I would have suggested to replace 2 of the Era 100 with Era 300 but with his floor plan, there is no way to place the 300 in such a way that their “top” is going to be clear! 

Total: 6 Era 100 | 6 Era 300 | Arc sound bar | Gen 3 Sub | 

Since this is cheaper, I was going to suggest he place a 2nd sub in the kitchen/living room area. If you guys think it is necessary. 

Also, what do you think of going all Era 100 in Dining room? 

What do you guys think? which Setup is going to sound better? Any other alternatives? Reduce / add something? Is this an overkill?

13 replies

Are these separate rooms with walls between?

How important is bass to this person?

Are these separate rooms with walls between?

How important is bass to this person?

pretty much no walls (nothing between kitchen and living room) there is tiny wall when entering Family room from dining room to make it like a gate, and same from kitchen to dining room, but no door or anything, so more or less no wall at all. 

something like below image, but without the pocket door. 

BIM doors - Essential Timber XL Door SF- RA A110 / P140 / A160, Single  Sliding Panel (wall, ceiling, false ceiling, between walls) | Bimetica

Bass is important. 

Thank you!

So, there is a short wall between the kitchen and dining room?

So, there is a short wall between the kitchen and dining room?

Not between kitchen and dining room, that is flush with ceiling, there is a short wall between family and dining room. Sorry for the confusion. 

Unless there is a wall between the kitchen and dining room, it’s hard to justify the two speakers along the outside wall at the room boundary unless the use case would be kitchen or dining not both.

Unless there is a wall between the kitchen and dining room, it’s hard to justify the two speakers along the outside wall at the room boundary unless the use case would be kitchen or dining not both.

There is no wall, the opening between kitchen and Dining room is about 5 feet.

I have updated the drawing, the “red” is wall and “blue” is opening , the opening between Kitchen and dining is about 5 feet and Dining room and Family is about 6 feet. 

Just for clarity, are you referring to Setup A or B? 

thank you! 

I don’t think 300’s would be appropriate in the dining room. What is the function of the living room? Is this an entertainment space or a critical listening space?

Must the speakers be wall or ceiling mounted? A pair of FIVE’s might be interesting in the living room.

I don’t think 300’s would be appropriate in the dining room. What is the function of the living room? Is this an entertainment space or a critical listening space?

Must the speakers be wall or ceiling mounted? A pair of FIVE’s might be interesting in the living room.

The living room is more entertainment space. as for speaker, I have Setup A (in my first post) that is in-ceiling and Setup B which is wall mounted! So open to both, trying to figure out which layout works best. 

Thank you,

If you currently have both setups, you are in a better position to decide “best”. The next question is: Is “best” good enough? If not, what is wrong?

If you currently have both setups, you are in a better position to decide “best”. The next question is: Is “best” good enough? If not, what is wrong?

Sorry, you might have misunderstood, currently I do not own anything, I am trying to decide which setup works best (what to get) Setup A (in-ceiling) or setup B (wall mounted) 

Usually, ceiling speakers work best in kitchens and dining rooms, if only because there are no other acoustically and visually viable options.

In the living room, ceiling would be appropriate if music will be mostly background. The ceiling speakers will fill out distribution of music everywhere. If music should be more prominent in the living room, 300’s or FIVE’s would be more appropriate. Adding SUB will increase bass and improve the midrange.

Usually, ceiling speakers work best in kitchens and dining rooms, if only because there are no other acoustically and visually viable options.

In the living room, ceiling would be appropriate if music will be mostly background. The ceiling speakers will fill out distribution of music everywhere. If music should be more prominent in the living room, 300’s or FIVE’s would be more appropriate. Adding SUB will increase bass and improve the midrange.

considering the size and layout of the space, do you think if I add 2 FIVE in Living room, and then 2 Era 100 in kitchen with a sub, then eliminate the 2 Era 100 in the middle (between kitchen and Living) would that sound good? 

Do the same for Dining room, replace the Era 300 with FIVE and then eliminate the 2 Era 100 in Dining room?

Multiple speakers will fill a space more uniformly as the listener moves around. A pair of speakers and a properly placed listener will result in more focus for that listener.