Answered

Turntable + TV + Beam

• 27 August 2018
  • 7 replies

This seems plausible to me, but I haven’t seen any clear confirmation. Does it make sense that a turntable to a pre-amp to a television could play through a Beam?

(I understand it might not make acoustic sense, but I’m contemplating buying a beam to replace my old receiver in a smaller room)
icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 August 2018, 17:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I have an LG TV with a component input, similar to the example in the attached image (just one I got from google images). I just dashed upstairs and got a red/white audio cable that links to a 3.5mm adapter. I just plugged the cable (red/white) into the TV and I put the 3.5mm plug into the headphone socket of my iPad and that plays out to the Beam with no problems, inferring a turntable with pre-amp would work in such a setup.

Also I have a 'component to scart' adapter too somewhere, so that may work also... not that I will go looking for that, as I could be looking for it all day.
Well most TVs never had RCA inputs, only outputs. You would need a Sonos device with RCA inputs, like a Connect, Connect:Amp or Play:5.
TV's used to have component inputs, which was 5 RCA jacks (Y, Pb, Pr, Audio L and Audio R, if memory serves). Would that be acceptable? Although I guess it would depend on the TV as to whether you could select that input without a video input.

I'm certainly with jgatie, this is a challenge.
I should add that my TV is old and if I’m not mistaken, some Samsung TV's disable the audio throughput on their component-in ports if there is no video stream included. Just thought that was worth mentioning.
The TV would need to have audio only input(s), which are rare in my experience.
Oh right - I’m guessing newer TV’s will be ditching RCA, so I may find myself hamstrung in the future?
In fact, just by sheer luck, I found it ... see attached. Sorry it’s a little dusty, but this should work too, I think.