Answered

Sonos One SL S1 compatibility

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Badge

A One SL cannot be added to an S1 system since May 25 of this year regardless of manufacture date.

Well, that’s bleak.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

They don’t unfortunately — see the letter from Sonos that I posted earlier in the thread; it says that “new or unregistered” One SLs can no longer be added to S1 systems. Only SLs that are currently registered to an S1 system are unaffected.

Badge

My decision to purchase a One SL was informed by this Sonos speaker comparison chart posted on the Sonos community forum and allegedly vetted by Sonos. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I believe the info was only distributed to dealers — I haven’t seen any public notice from Sonos. I agree that it should’ve been announced more widely, and earlier, as I imagine Beleza Tropical isn’t the only one finding him or herself in this situation.

Note that this “new” One SL is not a new generation; the notice posted above indicates that the changes do not warrant a generational update.

Badge

It occurs to me to ask whether this downgrade prohibition for the One SL is happening with any other Sonos speakers. What about Play speakers used with the S2 app? Will they be able to join S1 systems?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I expect an updated One (to keep up with the slightly updated One SL) to have the same effect for older One’s.