Question

Sonos home theatre set up with Projector

• 14 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I’m looking for a bit of help and advice. I am looking to buy a Sonos home theatre system, preferably with the arc or beam as the sound bar, Sonos One (2off) and Sub. I want to be able to connect this to a projector (not currently bought but thinking of an Epson EH-TW650). 

I was wondering what would be the best way to do this? Is there a Sonos product I could use to connect these? Or will I need an HDMI matrix switch?

P.S. I would also be looking to connect a PS5 and Virgin Media box in this set up.

All help appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Ah ok! I think I’ll need to try and find an HDMI matrix that has an optical cable input then. I don’t believe the projector has an optical outlet 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, both Arc and Beam will not function with "regular HDMI”. HDMI-ARC uses the same connector, but different connections within the connector (i.e. the Audio Return Channel). The connector will fit, but you will not get any sound - if your projector does not have HDMI-ARC (and most haven't).

If that is the case optical or the Arcana (possibly) wil be your only options. 

Cheers for the info. I’m assuming the Beam and Arc would still function with a regular HDMI but just not with the atmos ability? Or is hdmi arc a different fitting all together? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Be advised both Beam and Arc need HDMI-ARC, unless you want to revert to optical. Most beamers are not equipped this. Maybe the HDFury Arcana and an HDMI-switch could help here - I have no experience with this myself, so maybe others can help. Take a look here: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/don-t-have-earc-get-atmos-w-hd-fury-arcana-pre-orders-now-live-6844338