Answered

Sonos arc, samsung tv, ps4 pro

• 16 December 2020
  • 4 replies

I have a couple of questions regarding Sonos sound system and hope that you could help me. I am a complete newbie to the topic and Your help would be greatly appreciated :relaxed:.

I am considering Sonos since it is wireless (mostly) and seems to offer amazing sound quality for the price.

Ideally I would like to have a complete 5.1 sound surround system.

Bellow are my concerns.

Room shape

Attached are images of my living room, there are two things i am concerned about:

• rectangular shape, right wall basically missing/far away
  • back wall behind me has open space

Would this room shape be ok for setups:

• arc 
  • arc + subwoofer
  • arc + subwoofer + 2 front speakers + 2 wall mounted back speakers
    • this is where i would like to get

Am I missing something with open space in my room ?

Samsung KS 7000 series support

From what i can read there seem to be some problems with this TV series and dolby digital + support. Samsung on the other hand states that dd+ should be supported.

Can you please help me make sense out of the thread below? :)

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/samsung-ks8000-with-sonos-arc-no-dolby-digital-plus-signal-6842911

If i go to expert settings on my samsung TV, there are following options under audio format:

• PCM
  • Dolby digital
  • DTS
    • apparently not supported by Sonos

I do not see dolby digital plus in my settings, should it work regardless ? The thread above seems to suggest there are some problems with that.

• Would Sonos arc + Samsung KS 7000 support out of the box dolby digital plus sound ?

Additionally there seems to be some kind of a miracle device linked below (from the forum thread) which would enable Dolby Atmos support for my TV which does not support it by design.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

• If I get this device can I have Dolby Atmos sound ?
  • Or if there are problems with samsung TV, would this device at least guarantee dolby digital plus format ?
    • since i am spending that much money on sound system i would get this device if it fixes anything

PS4 pro support

It would be great to have amazing sound for movies but my primary target is sound surround system for gaming.

I will get a PS5 eventually that should support Dolby Atmos, however at this point I have pretty much the latest PS4 pro version.

According to the blog below it should support dolby digital plus:

https://developer.dolby.com/blog/enabling-dolby-bitstream-pass-through-on-playstation/

Note that my PS4 is connected to the (latest) PSVR processor unit which is then connected to the TV. I do not expect problems here but i could remove the PSVR processor unit when not used.

So, the final two questions:

• Can I have a Dolby Digital Plus with Sonos arc (5.1) setup, latest PS4 pro and Samsung KS 7000 while gaming ?
  • Would i get Dolby Atmos with PS5 + Sonos + same tv + HDFury arcana whatever device linked above ?

Just ran into this thread as well:

Seems to be an issue that could be addressed at Sonos end, is this issue still open ? 

Thank you very much for your help !

icon

Best answer by Tylertron21 16 December 2020, 15:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Okay starting from the top.  There is no real issue with the back wall opening, or the missing wall to the right of your listening position.  The tricky part for you would be sub placement as you cannot corner load or ¼ wall load. And rear placement might be alittle close to your listening position which could give you a directional sound. But hard to know until you do a “sub crawl” (look it up) and try different positions yourself, plus Truplay with an IOS device. 

I own the full Arc set up, and a ps4 pro.  Within the Ps4 settings I have my settings like this. Sound and Screen > HDMI OUT > Linear PCM. In the HDMI option select output in 5.1ch option/box. Do not leave it on the 7.1 default.  Games always play in surround for me with no missing dialog or effects.  You will lose effects if you do not select 5.1 manually. 

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the DD+ issue with the Samsung, but Sonos doesn’t support DD+ anyways, just DD (IIRC).  This has never been a problem for me when streaming, or gaming from a PC, or console of any kind. 

You cannot have the Arc with additional front speakers and surrounds. The Arc is a LCR with Atmos. 

I am unfamiliar with the Arcana since my Tv has earc, cannot help you there either. 

Use Truplay, and when you do stay mostly where the couch is, do not get in front of the coffee table / near the tv and do not go into the other room.  This will give you the most centered “bubble” of Atmos sound.  I have had great experiences doing Truplay this way, rather than the recommended “walk around the entire room” method.  Which gave me awful results, my comparison. 

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Please if you would a couple of more questions.

Regarding this:

I own the full Arc set up

and

You cannot have the Arc with additional front speakers and surrounds

What do you mean by full arc setup, is it arc + 5 speakers and subwoofer or something else?
It would seem that it is something else going from second quote.
I thought that arc could be hooked with multiple speakers and subwoofer ? If not, is there another Sonos product that i could use to get 5.1 setup ?

Or do you mean that i should connect arc with 2 back speakers and subwoofer without front speakers ?

Rear placement + subwoofer

Considering the issues you mentioned with subwoofer placement and rear placement speakers, do you think that it would be best to skip any of those ? Could it still be worth it assuming i make proper use of Trueplay tuning o_O ?

Also, what does LCR stand for, google is not really helpful :)

I guess i am also worried about lag with the PS4 pro and 5.1 setup, but this could be related to the Samsung TVs.

Thanks again

The arc itself is your left, center, right set up. You cannot add two more channel up front and have the sound bar be a center only. But yes, you add two additional speakers as rear surrounds only. So you have Arc, two speakers(surrounds), sub (or two). Just like you mentioned at the end of your first paragraph. you can easily wall mount the rear speakers which I highly suggest and have them facing towards you as much as possible. I use the official Sonos mount as they have a pretty good range and it is fine if they are slightly off axis, since it's a diffused sound anyways, for movies. I do not have any lag with my PS4 pro in gaming, but I do not use my console for streaming. 

Ah great, that is really helpful :)