Sonos amp power

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

amplifiers that support doubling of the power at 4-Ohms compared to the 8-Ohm spec tend to receive more praise when connected to certain speakers that have a low point.

Which is why my question was for two amps being compared, both of which do this doubling of watts as impedance is halved. When both do double the watts, how can one be delivering more current than the other?

Also, the claim that all respected amps sound the same is correctly made for such that have the same measured spec - including such doubling. A 20 wpc rms amp that does not do this doubling is probably going to clip and not sound the same as a 100 wpc amp that doubles, when driving a speaker that drops impedance down to 2 ohms at times. Even when sound levels are the same.

100 wpc amp that doubles, when driving a speaker that drops impedance down to 2 ohms at times. Even when sound levels are the same.

But this is more than doubling the 8-Ohm draw. What if the amplifier protection circuit shuts down hard at the 4-Ohm current? Even though rated at 4-Ohms, some amplifiers will tolerate short 2-Ohm excursions. AMP is in this class, CONNECT:AMP is not.

Even though rated at 4-Ohms, some amplifiers will tolerate short 2-Ohm excursions. AMP is in this class, CONNECT:AMP is not.

Hmm...news to me. I thought that the Amp will do better with a speaker that drops to 2 ohms because it has more grunt that the Connect Amp, not also because the Connect Amp will cut out.

In general: where does this characteristic show up in a typical amp spec?