Sonos amp power

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

For what it’s worth, when I look at Sonos’ sales page, under Features and Specs, the first item says: Class-D digital amplifier. 125W/Ch at 8 ohms. Not sure how much clearer you need that. 

Reputable brands such as Sonos - or even Bluesound - will never lie when it comes to published spec as the quoted - lies here are easy to nail down. Of course one needs to know how to read a spec because the ohms numbers and the distortion numbers in the spec are also needed to get an apples to apples comparison of two sets of amp specs, but in this particular case, the Sonos amp is indeed more powerful. That said, doubling of power yields about 20% higher sound levels, so keep that in mind as well.

But where sound quality claims are concerned, believe no maker’s flowery language. Test for yourself, preferably at home, and trust your ears. This is needed not so much for amps, but for speakers or kit that includes speakers.

Never trust a sales person. More often than not, they’re going to try to sell you the product that has the greatest profit margin for the store, or the one that gets them the greatest profit share from the sale.

Do your own research, which you’re doing. :)

The problem is that sometimes it isn’t as simple as “this one has X, the other has Y, so X is greater than Y, it must be better”. 

Fortunately, if you purchase directly from Sonos, you get a limited time return policy. So you would have the opportunity to test the Amp in your own home. 

There’s also advantages such as what kind of equipment you have in your home. Sonos (and Bluesound, from what I am aware) are both part of integrated systems, so you may be better off in the long run fitting one or the other in your home, due to the fact that you already have invested in either one.

But on the surface, I’d suggest The Sonos Amp’s 125 watts, rms, is more than Bluesound’s 80W rms. But you’re asking this question on a Sonos forum, where opinions may be skewed. You may want to find a non-partisan place to get a more balanced opinion. 

For what it’s worth, when I look at Sonos’ sales page, under Features and Specs, the first item says: Class-D digital amplifier. 125W/Ch at 8 ohms. Not sure how much clearer you need that. 

Edit: I type too slowly :)

Not the salesman.  Audio salesmen are driven by three things - Commission, margin, and rate of return - In that order.Honesty is about 40th on the list. 

The Sonos Amp is more powerful, it is indeed 125 watts .

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/newsroom/sonos-unveils-all-new-sonos-amp