Answered

Setting up sonos with headphones and turntable

• 12 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I was looking for some confirmation that my potential plan will succeed before spending my money. 

I currently have a Playbar and 2 Play:1 attached to my TV and work really well. I have a separate turntable (denon dp-45f) attached to its own (old) hi-fi system (pioneer vsx-425) and 2 x Jensen speakers and sometimes headphones plugged directly into the amp. 

My hi-fi system is on the way out and the pioneer is starting to fail so I was looking to attach the turntable to my sonos system. I understand ill need a pre-amp and then either connect to a port/five/amp.

Planned sequence would be:

Turntable → preamp → port/amp → bluetooth receiver/headphone amp + wireless to sonos

Now this is where my question is:

- I would like to with the option of either listening to my records with the wireless/wired headphones OR via the sonos system. 

- If I set up the port or amp as a ‘room’ for the headphones (likely will use a bluetooth receiver plugged into the port), can I still ask the sonos to play the music through the general speakers instead

→ I wouldn’t be doing them both at the same time obviously

→ That is select the record player to play to ‘living room’ as it currently stands in my house?

I assume I couldn’t have this set up with a Five, because it doesn't have a line back out, just the line in?

I hope that’s clear and thank you in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by ratty 12 April 2021, 15:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes sorry I mean’t BT Transmitter - apologies. 

That’s great news - thanks all. I did note the potential release of sonos headphones. Ill keep an eye out for them. 

Before proceeding, you may like to read this.  It is speculation, with no confirmation atall (as far as I am aware) from Sonos.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/sonos-wireless-headphones-what-we-know-about-the-rumored-sony-wh-1000xm4-rivals

Presumably you mean a Bluetooth transmitter -- to service wireless headphones -- not a BT receiver? (*)

Otherwise the plan sounds fine. I currently use wired headphones with a Port via a headphone amp, with another Port connected to a Bluetooth transmitter. There’s no reason why one couldn’t have a single Port feeding both a BT transmitter and headphone amp at the same time.

---

(*) There are headphone DAC/amps which also include a BT receiver, but these cater for wired headphones, not wireless ones.