Answered

Setting up sonos with headphones and turntable

• 12 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I was looking for some confirmation that my potential plan will succeed before spending my money. 

I currently have a Playbar and 2 Play:1 attached to my TV and work really well. I have a separate turntable (denon dp-45f) attached to its own (old) hi-fi system (pioneer vsx-425) and 2 x Jensen speakers and sometimes headphones plugged directly into the amp. 

My hi-fi system is on the way out and the pioneer is starting to fail so I was looking to attach the turntable to my sonos system. I understand ill need a pre-amp and then either connect to a port/five/amp.

Planned sequence would be:

Turntable → preamp → port/amp → bluetooth receiver/headphone amp + wireless to sonos

Now this is where my question is:

- I would like to with the option of either listening to my records with the wireless/wired headphones OR via the sonos system. 

- If I set up the port or amp as a ‘room’ for the headphones (likely will use a bluetooth receiver plugged into the port), can I still ask the sonos to play the music through the general speakers instead

→ I wouldn’t be doing them both at the same time obviously

→ That is select the record player to play to ‘living room’ as it currently stands in my house?

I assume I couldn’t have this set up with a Five, because it doesn't have a line back out, just the line in?

I hope that’s clear and thank you in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by ratty 12 April 2021, 15:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Before proceeding, you may like to read this.  It is speculation, with no confirmation atall (as far as I am aware) from Sonos.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/sonos-wireless-headphones-what-we-know-about-the-rumored-sony-wh-1000xm4-rivals

Presumably you mean a Bluetooth transmitter -- to service wireless headphones -- not a BT receiver? (*)

Otherwise the plan sounds fine. I currently use wired headphones with a Port via a headphone amp, with another Port connected to a Bluetooth transmitter. There’s no reason why one couldn’t have a single Port feeding both a BT transmitter and headphone amp at the same time.

---

(*) There are headphone DAC/amps which also include a BT receiver, but these cater for wired headphones, not wireless ones.

Yes sorry I mean’t BT Transmitter - apologies. 

That’s great news - thanks all. I did note the potential release of sonos headphones. Ill keep an eye out for them.