Recommended setup for 1st time user

• 18 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Hello,

This is my first time investing in speakers and I am looking for recommendations for setup. I have a 65 inch LG TV in my living room and the distance between the screen and the sofa where I usually watch TV is 137 inches. This is an apartment and my living room is open with kitchen. The whole dimensions for the living room including kitchen should be 820 cm length and 462 breadth. In terms of cost, I want to limit it to 1000 euros as I will eventually move out of this apartment for a big home. Here are the two setups I am considering:

1. Beam Gen 2 with 2 Era 100’s
  2. Standalone Arc

Which setup would be best for my setup ? I have heard that beam gen 2 is only good for TV’s up to 55 inch ? But on the other hand some articles suggest beam 2 with 2 era 100’s provide better value for money and sound profile. Can someone help a noob out ?

7 replies

Given the size of your space and your intention to eventually move into a larger space, I would go with the Arc over Beam and 2 Era 100s.  I realize you’ve set a budget, but going with the Arc allows to add surrounds and sub later on as you see fit.  Then again, if you get a Beam now, you can later an Arc to your setup and move the Beam to a different room.

Thanks!

Yea I was thinking about the same. Down the line maybe I will move Beam in bedroom and then replace my main setup with arc. Also with rumours around new arc coming in it might be best to wait for ARC for now and instead use Beam Gen 2 and 2 era 100’s. After that, I will try to add mini sub to it in some months. Would that be a decent setup for a 65 inch TV ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

In that size room I’s say Arc, Era-300s and a full Sub.

A Beam would be pretty weak as would the mini-Sub but if you were willing to live within their limits with the intention of moving them to a smaller space that would make sense.

I have a large space similar to yours and the Arc / Sub combo is pretty good. I had a Beam there originally and it was pretty weak but once moved it is pretty good for TV shows in our bedroom even without a Sub or mini-Sub.

Thanks @Stanley_4 @melvimbe 

Attaching the layout of my living room. Essentially I just want to propagate sound around the area where my TV and sofa is and not kitchen. Considering the dimensions are not that big, do you still think beam gen 2 won’t be powerful enough for the setup now with ERA 100’s. I obviously don’t want it too loud so my neighbours start complaining. Also my biggest concern with ARC right now is that it hasn’t been refreshed in a while and there are rumours of it being launched this year.

Are using mm for the units in your diagram?  I would not worry about disturbing the neighbors.  Obviously, you have volume control, and both the Beam and Arc are capable of getting loud enough to disturb your neighbors, while also getting quiet enough not to.  Bass is usually the bigger concern with audio, and for that reason, I might hold off on getting a sub while in an apartment, or have it be set to a lower volume relative to the rest of your system.

Both Roam and Arc have side firing speakers, so it’s going to send audio in the direction of the kitchen (assuming it’s located where I think it is)  with the expectation that audio would bounce of the wall (that’s not there in your case).  Also would be better to move the TV more centered to the sofa for better audio.

As far as their being an Arc 2 coming out soon, I don’t think the rumors are really that solid right now.  That rumor came out with rumors of other new speakers coming out, and it’s very rare for Sonos to release several new speakers at the same time.  When they have done it before, it’s been more of a refresh, with speakers still sounding the same, but getting updated hardware and the current look and feel.  And for reference, the Playbar that predates the Arc was around for 7 years.  The Arc is finishing it’s 4th.

That said, Sonos does have new woofer tech it acquired several years back that could theoretically be ready to incorporate into a new soundbar.  If that happens though, it seems unlikely that it will priced the same as the current Arc.  I wouldn’t be too shocked if these theoretical Arc 2 doesn’t even stop sales of the current Arc.

Sonos typically release new products in late spring and early fall.  If I was in the market, the most i would do is wait till mid June or so to see if any more solid rumors are leaked.

@melvimbe Yes the measurements are in mm so the space between sofa and TV is almost 465 cm and in this diagram the kitchen starts right after the door with an island opposite to the door giving logical separation between kitchen and living room. Also the TV is not in centre because the wall right after the TV is not straight but a bit backwards and we want to have a shelf in there. Also sofa is L shaped and the extended part is on the left (in clear sight of the TV). So if I understand your comment, you still recommend going for arc over Beam gen 2 with two era 100 which I planned to put behind the sofa on each side

To be honest, the setup of TV and sofa is just not going to give you the best atmos experience regardless of whether you go with Beam or Arc.  Both will sound good for that space, but not great. 

I would make the decision based off current budget and future plans to move to a larger space more than on the current space.  And since you are thinking there will be an Arc 2 in the future, and can relocate the Beam to a bedroom or something, then maybe a Beam makes more sense.  I see it more of a situation where there are only right answers here.