PlayBar vs PlayBase for home theater in room with cathedral ceilings

• 19 February 2018
  • 7 replies

We currently have SONOS in several rooms in the house, all for music listening only. We're looking to swap out the DefTech we have for our home theater but are not sure if the PlayBar or PlayBase is a better choice in a room with 16' cathedral ceilings? TV sits on a media console and is NOT wall mountable.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
According to Sonos the Playbase was not designed to complete against the Playbar in terms of sound reproduction and clarity. More over the two are designed to provide options for placement. Some people may not have enough cabinet space to support the length of the Playbar; whereas the Playbase may be a more suitable option. If one prefers a wall-mount solution then the Playbar is a more suitable choice.

If placement is neither a plus or minus you might consider what's inside of each:

_ Playbase: six (6) mid-range, three (3) tweeters and one (1) woofer *
_ Playbar: six (6) mid-woofers, three (3) tweeters

* The Playbase might suggest more base when used without a sub. Upon adding a sub the difference is nil

So based upon the above one might think the Playbase to produce a better sound. I've listened to both and prefer the Playbar. However, that maybe due to the fact that I already owned the Playbar. Truth....recently I had need of another and I still chose the Playbar over the Playbase. Keep in mind that is my SUBJECTIVE choice...yours may be different.

Bottom-line you should audition both and decide for yourself. The only other compelling reason to prefer the Playbase over the Playbar is that the Playbase is future proofed to accept Apple Airplay 2 natively.

I hope this helps. Cheers!
Badge
my room's dimensions are almost the same as yours. i tested both the playbar and playbase in this room before deciding on the playbar. however i did decide to keep the playbase and place it in another room where the television's speakers are horrible and there is no room for a playbar. to my ears the difference between the playbar and playbase is negligible especially if you're considering going with the HT 5.1 setup, but as already stated listening experiences are subjective. just my .02. good luck!
We decided to try the PlayBar with (2) Play 1 for the rear. Set up couldn't have been easier, but the sound is another issue. The PlayBar sits on 60" open shelf in the media cabinet (designed for a sound bar) but the sounds is muffled and lacks the brightness and range you would expect. Frankly the single Play 3 that sits in the room purely for music sounds better. We tried sitting the playBar on top of the media console and it did improve the sound, but its height blocks the TV so its not an option. I think we may have to try the PlayBase next.
Userlevel 7
We decided to try the PlayBar with (2) Play 1 for the rear. Set up couldn't have been easier, but the sound is another issue. The PlayBar sits on 60" open shelf in the media cabinet (designed for a sound bar) but the sounds is muffled and lacks the brightness and range you would expect. Frankly the single Play 3 that sits in the room purely for music sounds better. We tried sitting the playBar on top of the media console and it did improve the sound, but its height blocks the TV so its not an option. I think we may have to try the PlayBase next.

I don't know how your TV is setup but if you prefer the Playbar over the Playbase for whatever reason here's a probable solution that prevents the Playbar; from blocking your TV screen:

https://www.flexson.com/accessories/tv-mounts-stands/flexson-tv-stand-for-sonos-playbar-black-single-flxpbst1021

Here's a USA link:
https://www.worldwidestereo.com/products/flexson-tv-stand-for-playbar-tv-not-included-black-flxpst1021
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
AjTrek1, that's a lot of cash for what's effectively just a riser for your TV though. I have both, and prefer my Playbar over my Playbase, but it's not that much better where I would spend an additional $160. Did you buy this, or have you seen it? I assume it's a quality piece for that price.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I have both and i think the playbar over the playbase all day.If you have a sub there is nothing in it. Without a sub, playbar sounds better
Userlevel 7
AjTrek1, that's a lot of cash for what's effectively just a riser for your TV though. I have both, and prefer my Playbar over my Playbase, but it's not that much better where I would spend an additional $160. Did you buy this, or have you seen it? I assume it's a quality piece for that price.

1. As far the $160 purchase price goes..it's relative to what other alternatives designed specifically for the Sonos Playbar are available. At this juncture I know of none; so the price is set based upon what the market will bear and lack of competitive products.

2. Flexson is a respected manufacturer of accessories for Sonos products (i.e. speaker stands , wall/ceiling mounts, optical converters/selectors and of course the Playbar base extension). I personally use Flexson stands and find them to be of high quality.

3. I have no need for the Playbar base; but if I did I most likely would choose the Flexson offering to facilitate a more seamless integration.

My intent was only to show the OP options 🙂 Cheers!