Play 5 pair or Play 1 pair + Sub

• 11 March 2017
  • 27 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Badge +1
I have 3 play 1s, and have been wondering the same question (add a sub or get 5s). I travel to NYC often so I recently tested it at the store in manhattan. Here is what I learned.

Sub + 1s
- is better on the low end. The sub gives that really room rattling low.
- clearly better than two 5s mounted horizontally in stero, IMO.

5s mounted vertically in stero
- great bass (really all you need), rattles the room but just a little bit less than the sub does.
- was astonished at the difference mounting them verically adds.

i asked all the workers in the store their preference and it was split between the 1s/sub and 2/5s. So that shows you how close in sound they are.

What I took alway from this experience is it depends on how you want to use your setup. The verically mounted 5s are more of a standard/traditional HiFi setup, whereas the 1s can be placed out of sight and the sub tucked away too.
Since this keeps coming up, and I don't know if this has been discussed in a dedicated thread, I thought it might be useful. While a 5 pair + Sub would clearly be even better, this thread is for just these two alternatives that are at about the same price point.

I have only played around for some hours with a single 2nd gen 5 unit, so with that caveat, my thoughts as to why the 1 pair + Sub - that I have extensively used and still do - would be the way to go.

First, the Sub adds a lot of depth/richness to music played at low volumes, more effectively than what the loudness toggle does for any play unit.

For music at very loud levels, I suspect the 5 pair will run out of low frequency steam a lot before the Sub will.

And between these two extremes of sound levels, there may not be a large difference between the two. That is definitely speculation on my part.

A possible advantage of the 5 pair is one box less to find a place to keep, if the large 5 units can be conveniently accomodated.

I am open to correction on any of these statements; conversation on the topic is the point of this thread, assuming that people will find a way to it in future via a better search function that what we have here at this point! Which also might mean that this thread is redundant even now.