Pairing 2 Sonos One speakers with Sonos Play 5

• 2 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi guys, in a few weeks we will be moving to our new built apartment. In the living room and open kitchen the electrician has built in 2 wall sockets high in the corner of the two connecting rooms in order to have 2 Sonos One speakers on wall mounts. As we already have a Sonos Play 5 (1st gen) I would like to pair the 2 Sonos One speakers (not yet bought) to the Play 5 speaker. Will this work? And if so, is the combined speakerset strong enough to cover both rooms? (I also have a Sonos Play 3 but ideally I am gonna use this one in another room).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Because you want to use airplay2, I think getting the pair of Sonos Ones is the way to go. Your play:3 and play:5 gen 1 won't work with airplay2 by itself. If you find it's not enough, you can return them or maybe use 1 or both in a different room, so that you still have airplay2 compatibility.
Many thanks melvimbe! Reg. the total size of the space: approx 9 x 7 mtrs. The ceiling is about 2.45 mtrs. I don't plan to throw parties in the apartment, but would like to enjoy Spotify (and later on Airplay2) to the max.
It will work, but technically speaking, the Sonos Ones would be a pair by themselves. You cannot semi-permanently pair or bond the Play:5 to them. You can group the two rooms/zones together though, which is why I said it will work.

Will it be enough? That really depends on the size of the space and your personal preference. Personally, I really like stereo pairs, over single speakers. I might consider getting a 2nd Play:5 or Play:3 to pair with what I already have.