One play 5 plus Sub vs two plays

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Just another query Kumar, you seem to know of what you speak of..
I started buying Sonis with a single Play 1 for my bedroom, last month. I bought another for the dining room in a week for multi room sound and loved the effect of hearing the same music on moving from room to room, that I just had to buy another for the living room and did my research and hence bought my , really, really amazing Play 5.
I had then heard about stereo placement and ordered two Sonos ones.
I've bought 1200$ of Sonos kit in a month and. Now seriously thinking of bumping that to 2000$ with a sub
My question is , how much does an average Sonos listener here spend on Sonos?:D
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I bought a Playbase about a year ago. Couple months later got 2 Play:1s for surround. Just this month I bought a Play:3. So I'm not hardcore, yet! 😉

I've bought 1200$ of Sonos kit in a month and. Now seriously thinking of bumping that to 2000$ with a sub
My question is , how much does an average Sonos listener here spend on Sonos?:D

If you have bought them in white, another thing they share with rabbits is how they multiply in the home!
I have a 5 zone system that was built up from 2011 to 2014, but I have been content with all I have since then. There is a lot to be said for allowing music listening to shift to front and centre.
In your case, you may want to press "Hold" and make sure that the system so far works glitch free for a few months and then decide on expansion. Sonos does need some handholding at times, something that all WiFi systems do, so perhaps you can get familiar with that, play music often from various sources, and see how things go before opening the wallet.
Unfortunately I have the sub underneath the left speaker as its not possible to play in the middle of the two or anywhere else.
That should still work. I would hesitate to place it to the left of the left speaker though.
If you are not able to place the Sub as it deserves to be placed for music, the 5 pair route is better, particularly since you like how the single 5 sounds.

The 3 is a bit of a halfway house - between the 1 and the 5 all needs are met for most people.

Wiring a Sonos unit to the router will give you Sonosnet and almost certainly a more stable music play experience, but it may not solve your phone issue - it will still talk back to the router for all its WiFi functions. If an iPhone, you may need a WiFi extender in the kitchen. If an Android, you can set it up to directly talk to Sonos units and solve the kitchen problem.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thanks Kumar,

I think that's settled, two play 5s in stereo would be better than moving in two ones and adding a sub... And cheaper

Is there are huge difference between a stereo paired 5 and a single 5, or is there just more sound and more bass? Do you really hear a difference when they're used in a pair?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Is there are huge difference between a stereo paired 5 and a single 5, or is there just more sound and more bass? Do you really hear a difference when they're used in a pair?
I think this goes for any brand really. Stereo sound isn't just more sound, it's adding another dimension when listening to music produced in stereo, which is pretty much all music since the 70s, I think. Having the stereo setup will let you hear what the artist intended for you to hear.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thanks Kumar and Tom
I know what stereo is, I have older sets, it's just that the Play 5 has six drivers... They're supposed to simulate stereo
So, would getting another 5 make a huge difference to just one play 5, with the six drivers that are used as stereo by the software?
Kumar's answer indicates that listening position would be enhanced further back with with a 9 feet separation, right?

I just checked, Kumar, I discern more stereo effect with my single 5 when I sit ten feet from it than when I'm just in front of it. I imagine sounds 5 feet on each side with a central thumping bass at ten feet, close to the speaker I don't get this effect.. this is contrary to what I expected after reading your comments.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
My apologies if I came off harsh implying you didn't know what stereo is. Friends? :)

I don't have a Play:5, but I have a Play:3 and they claim it has stereo sound, but I don't get any impression of stereo from it at all. The drivers are just way too close together. Curious to know if the Play:5 is any better.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I kinda also really wonder how you can get actual stereo sound with only 1 tweeter, which the Play:3 has.