Legacy system-outdated knowledge-want to update

• 29 March 2024
  • 7 replies

I have been running on Sonos 1 for probably 7-8 yrs now-haven’t claimed upgrade credits yet and am hoping someone is just willing to give me advice about what to purchase. I “inherited” the system and love it but just am not technical-but enjoy the benefits of the system greatly. I haven’t claimed upgrade credits yet and want to use wisely. This is what I’ve got:

Great room - Playbar, Sub, two Play 1 in surround

Kitchen - Play 3

Bedroom - Wired in-ceiling pair, non-Sonos amp, Connect

Office - Play 1

Bathroom - Wired in-ceiling, non-Sonos amp, Connect (note-hasn’t gotten audio from this for years)

(I also have two Bridges not hooked up-no idea what that’s about…)

I purchased a great deal on two Roams with plans to use one in lieu of the non-working bathroom speaker and one to be flexible for my deck, basement, garage, etc.Low cost solution to my non-working bathroom. BUT FAIL - It only works with Sonos 2. I don’t want to run them on a separate version, and if I would rather not knock out my bedroom speakers if I can avoid it. I’m on a tighter budget than when the system was purchased, and so ripping out the in-ceiling speakers and replacing with Sonos in-ceiling makes me uneasy from cost and diy perspective.

Is there a component(s) that would replace the Bedroom Connect that would allow me to use the existing speakers and work properly with the other items I have (besides the Bathroom, which I’m assuming I’ll abandon for now and use the Roam) that could keep my investment reasonable and make sense to upgrade my whole system to Sonos 2 to be able to use my “cheap” Roams? :)

Or would a better option be to return the Roams and spend the same money on a Play 1 for the bath, giving up my “bonus” flex Roam speaker?

I know it’s a judgment call - but just need some opinions from others who know a lot more than I about this stuff! TIA for any kind advice!!

7 replies

The two Connects are the only possible S1 only devices, the rest can use S2.  To check if the Connects are S1 or S2, go here:

https://login.sonos.com/

Log in and choose System.  Anything with a 15% upgrade is S2 capable, anything with a 30% upgrade is S1 only. 

Thanks jgatie - My issue is I’m just not savvy enough honestly to determine what is truly my best replacement for that Connect.

Also, the Roams I bought only work on S2. That’s what happened, is my “cheap” enhancement to my system is now not feeling as inexpensive or easy. 

It seems like a good idea to rip the bandaid and go to S2 but I don’t want to brick half my house. : )

The replacement for a Connect is the Port.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@jj_nontechnie 

Even there are some old devices in your system most of them can be updated to S2. As @jgatie said you just have to check, if the connects are S2 ready or not. As I understand one of them now is obsolete and if no one of them is S2 ready a Sonos Port imo would be the best replacement for the remaining Connect. 

After that I would run the S2 update and check how systems performance is. If everything is fine, there won't be a reason to replace any other device at the moment. But imho it would be a good idea to replace the Play3 for example with Era300 in the near future. 

Thank you to you both! The Connects are confirmed they will not work on S2. I’ve watched so much YouTube that has so much advice, what’s better than Port, problems with upgrading, etc and just really needed some solid advice from users to help me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@jj_nontechnie 

Depending on the quality of Amp and passive speakers you have been using with the Connect yet, replacing amp and Connect with a Sonos Amp also could be an option. 

Amps are Russound X75 - looks like EBay listings are $60-100. Speakers were purchased from a specialty home theatre local store that sells high end but I don’t know that they’re extraordinary (the one in the bath was a dud in months but may be humidity?). Amps have been powered on since purchase. I have no idea if I’m on borrowed time with the amps, but I technically am using one and have a spare since the bath speaker isn’t functioning anyway. Sounds like I need to compare to see what to spend my 30% off upgrade on. 

schlumpf I’m so grateful for your insight!