Answered

Large kitchen/living room - mapped out thoughts - what would you change?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

I think you have far too many speakers here. I would just use a 5 pair on the right hand side, assuming that is the living room and you will sit facing the speakers on the 15 ft wall. If facing to the top, I would put the 5 pair there and nothing in the bottom right corner.

Assuming the left side to be the kitchen - where is the dining area? - I would put either one 5 or one 1 such that it is aimed to that listening area, maybe even along the wall on the left. Maybe start with one 1, and add another to make a pair if the need for that is felt.

See how that works, and then add more speakers only if felt necessary. Play the paired speakers in stereo mode, and group the pair and the other single unit/pair when music is needed over the entire space.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Assuming that the music you will be listening to has been mixed in stereo, and the vast majority is. You will get the best listening enjoyment, as the artist intended, by listening using a stereo pair - that could be Play 5s, Play 3s or Play 1s.

I don't really know how your set-up would sound but you would have to set each speaker as a "Room" and then group them. They would play in perfect synchronisation but there would be no stereo image and I think the overall effect would be disappointing.

I would be advising you to determine where you would be for "serious" music listening and ensure that you provide the best audio for that area - probably a stereo pair of Play5s. For areas where the listening will be more causal - say the kitchen area probably a Play 1 or possibly stereo pair of Play 1s which you could then group to the Play 5s as desired.

Also. There's nothing stopping you growing organically rather than buying all those Plays at once - Don't forget Sonos run a very good return policy so you can effectively try and then return if they don't do what you want