I have 2 Play:3 speakers. What do i get next?

• 29 July 2017
  • 4 replies

I have 2 play 3 speakers and wonder whether it will be worth getting a connect, amp or play5? I will most probably use them in seperate rooms as i have a home cinema system that i am looking to connect in the loop

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You'll need to supply more information to get any meaningful advice.
Are you trying to connect a CD player or turntable? What do you mean by connect the home cinema system in the loop?
I want to be able to link up a multimedia player, so yeah something like CD palyer or aux input, Bu i don't know the limitations of a connect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Connect will take an input at Line-In level - so a CD player or Turntable with pre-amp output or any line-in input. The Connect will then drive an active speaker. If your speakers are passive the Connect:amp will be what you need.

The Connect and Connect:Amp only deal in stereo output
Userlevel 4
If you're wanting to use a current stereo system alongside your Sonos system, the Connect is a great product to buy (if... you're willing to spend the money). If you want to expand your current Sonos system to more rooms, while also wanting that line-in functionality the Connect has - the Play 5 is not only better for the money, but does exactly what it says and still gives you the option to spread that line-in source over your entire Sonos network!
Essentially, the Play 5 is a Connect without the line-out. Because at the end of the day a Connect is basically a Sonos speaker without the drivers. It can be grouped with your other Sonos speakers, but uses a line-out to your current stereo system essentially making your stereo system a Sonos system.

Both the Connect, and the line-in on the back of the Play 5 function the same (except one is RCA and the other is 3.5mm).

You'll need something pre-amplified to feed either the Play 5 or Connect.

The Connect AMP is functionally the same as the Connect except it amplifies the music from a pre-amped source to your non-amplified stereo system. You're effectively paying more for the amp.

For your need, a Play 5 is what I would aim for next. 🙂