Answered

First finger in Sonos ecosystem. How to connect Apple TV and a Playstation 5

• 11 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone,

I’m about to buy my very first Sonos product. My plan is to buy a Beam and 2 One SL for the TV, 2 One SL in the kitchen (right near by the living room) and 2 One SL in the bedroom (right near the living room too). I have a Playstation 5, a Nintendo Switch and an Apple TV.

How to connect everything to be sure that it works as simply as possible? My wife will kill me if it takes too long to start the whole thing or if you want to switch from the Apple TV to the Playstation. In addition to this, there is wifi everywhere and RJ45 right behind the TV and in the bedroom.

Thanks a LOT for your help :)

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 September 2021, 18:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The Beam connects to the Arc port on the TV, all your devices connect to the TV, and feed the Beam in that fashion. Essentially, what the TV is showing will be playing on the Beam.

@Airgetlam Thanks a lot. What if the TV don’t have any ARC port? Is it still working with a regular HDMI ?

The Beam ships with an optical to ARC adapter, so if your TV doesn’t have an ARC port, you could use the optical output from the TV to connect. 

@AirgetlamYou are great! Thanks a lot. I checked and unfortunately, my TV don’t have optical port. There is 1 SPDIF but it’s a OUT (my house is fully furnished and I didnt chose this  TV :’(

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

So, a couple of notes. First, Easylink is Philips name for CEC, which contains the ARC protocol. If you check, there is likely one of the HDMI ports that is labeled either ARC or Easylink. It’s not explicitly stated in the manual for that TV, but I’d try and use either HDMI 1 or 2 ports to connect your Beam. However, before doing that test, I’d make sure the TV was updated to the latest firmware.

However, it’s possible, given the scarcity of concrete information in the quick start guide and the manual, that it may not work. But no worries, SPDIF is just another name for optical, so you would connect a cable between SPDIF out and the adapter that comes with the Beam, then make sure the TV and all devices sending data to the TV are using only Dolby Digital, and you’d be good to go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Bendalf An OUT would be good, wouldn’t it? Sound needs to go out of the TV to the soundbar. Only question is, if the SPDIF you mention is the right kind. You need optical but SPDIF can also be coaxial (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF). A coaxial OUT would need a converter (like this one it seems: https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Tendak-Bi-Directional-Converter-Splitter/dp/B06XCTGZFT - I have no experience with this).