Question

External Storage Device

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

a very large flash stick plugged into my router.
For some years, I used a USB HDD in this way; it worked fine for most times except when streaming different music to different rooms. I was advised that the lack of a processor in the HDD meant that the processor in my 2011 make router was being overloaded and causing stuttering. Once I moved to a WD MyCloud, all has worked fine. If this issue isn't present with current generation routers, the memory capability of these sticks now is a neat way to meet this need. Very discreet, and one less mains socket needed.
I've been through a number of NAS drives, Buffalo and WD. The latest, a My Book Live bought 4 years ago, long since started acting up. Since my local library has been static for some time -- new music coming from a streaming service -- I simply migrated the FLAC library to a very large flash stick plugged into my router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I am very happy with my Western Digital Live Drive, older version of the MY Cloud. It was easy to set up, checking for updates tot he firmware is easy and aside from dusting it there is nothing else needed.

I've tried a few other brands for external Ethernet connected storage but the WD was not expensive and just works for Sonos storage. Use it as your baseline in looking at other options and you'll end up happy.

If your drive will be visible watch out for ones that have a glaring activity light, that is ugly.
Pretty much any NAS on the market. I happen to use a WD Mycloud, but mostly because it was on sale.