External DAC with Connect

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

275 replies

Thanks you've answered my question.

Baz, happy to help, all part of the pay it forward thing:).

The Connect has a very decent DAC built into it - money saved from not getting another DAC can be used to getting better speakers where the extra spend can be heard. Or another Sonos box in another room for more home coverage. Or on a decent bottle of wine, that will also allow the music to flow...
Just a few links to bring some sanity to the discussion:

The Audio Critic: http://www.theaudiocritic.com/cwo/Web_Zine/

Flushing out myths in consumer audio: http://www.audioholics.com/editorials/flushing-out-myths-in-consumer-audio

The Ultimate Cable Upgrade: An Obsessive's Guide: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#house

Floyd Toole's Damping, Damping Factor: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/damptoole.htm and http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/dampaugs.htm

Enjoy!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks for the quick reply Kumar, I am going to have to start listening to some up-to-date systems, my old KEF's and receiver just aren't doing it for me any more.
Badge +8
Ha! Because the Women are Smarter!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Bc71SAGuI
I am going to have to start listening to some up-to-date systems, my old KEF's and receiver just aren't doing it for me any more.

There really hasn't been any progress in solid state electronic amplification over the last twenty years that can be heard, so as long as the amp is in working condition there isn't much point in changing. Speakers is the place where you will see the biggest benefit in sound quality improvement, along with attention to room acoustic improvements if called for. Just make sure that any new speakers you like can be driven by the power output available from the amp.
Never mind. Not worth it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
kk 🙂
Nice ... but lousy sound quality ... sorry :p

Harry Belafonte is not bad either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DK_qqDC1VE
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I use the connect mostly for streaming internet radio of various bps, as well as itunes within my house.

My experience with external DACs has been mixed. When I used the highly regarded Rega DAC, I really could not hear a difference. I think that DAC is likely best with high resolution sources.

When I now occasionally use my oppo 105 coax inputs, there is a very significant difference. Surprisingly so. Even so, I rarely use it, because its kind of a pain to have turn the oppo on, and select the right input. If there was a cheap, dedicated DAC that I could be sure would sound as good as the oppo, I would use it for the connect.

My system consists of the oppo105, the sonos connect, a brio R integrated amp, and PSB T2 speakers.
Badge +8
Agreed, but I've always been more of a Dead Head than a Belafonte fan 🙂
When I used the highly regarded Rega DAC, I really could not hear a difference. I think that DAC is likely best with high resolution sources.

High resolution sources by themselves do nothing for SQ, so it would be illogical to expect the DAC to do anything to change that.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I was ending my clarification of my point, ... . I think I am well within my rights to do that.

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding about that. I was perhaps a bit abrupt.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

When I now occasionally use my oppo 105 coax inputs, there is a very significant difference. Surprisingly so. ...

My system consists of the oppo105, the sonos connect, a brio R integrated amp, and PSB T2 speakers.

Can you describe the difference you hear? Since I started this thread three weeks ago, I've heeded Kumar's advice and gone on a speaker hunt. Finally decided on the PSB T2's, and an integrated amp (with DAC) sufficient to drive them (NAD C375DAC). When it arrives I'm going to replace my old system and NOT attempt any comparisons. (Of course I may be tempted to consider the Wyred4sound upgrade, but not for a long time...)

Thanks Kumar, you converted my $300 DAC purchase into a $5,000 upgrade!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Good question - I look forward to reading answers!

I think this is answered by my post #253 in response to Magik's question which crossed with your post.

Thanks Kumar, you converted my $300 DAC purchase into a $5,000 upgrade!

In the past, I would have advised you to spend some of the money on buying more music, but there is so much free music, via good enough quality bitstreams on the internet, that makes that advice obsolete. I stopped adding to my CD collection almost as soon as Sonos started at home, and now listen to internet radio more than I listen to my ripped to NAS CDs. And the 192k and higher streams deliver sound quality equal to CDs played via a good spec CD player.

PS: Your new system sounds interesting - I am familiar with the old NAD 370, a fine amp. I would be interested to know if you find any difference between the analog and digital outputs of the Connect into the DAC equipped model, if you ever get around to comparing.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
What is the truth, the philosopher would ask?
Every scientific fact is nothing but a hypothesis that is yet to be proved wrong, to be then substituted by a better one. The all swans are white hypothesis/fact is easy to be proved wrong by finding just the one black swan - but where is that in this case of amplifiers/DBTs?
Surely if you are going to make such postulations, they remain just speculations until you find the black swan? While the white swan hypothesis has been constructed by many people that have done these tests over the years and are satisfied to its quality. Anyone that doesn't agree has the burden of finding the black swan to destroy it.
Over at Harbeth UK, Alan Shaw for some time now has offered a free pair of his flagship speakers to anyone that can turn up one in controlled conditions, with any two amp of the claimants choice that are in working condition and meet a frequency response/distortion criteria that almost all modern ones do. No downsides, no entry fee, except for travel costs. And yet he has seen no takers, not even from people living in the UK where travel costs/time may not be the investment it would be for people elsewhere. Where are the black swans hiding?

Well, unless we know how many times Mr Shaw's test has been attempted the simple fact that the test exists gives us no information about the presence or otherwise of black swans. If you were to tell me that it had been attempted (say) 100 times with no success, then it might start to be interesting and have a bearing on my belief about the particular hypothesis it tests.

If no-one has taken the test, you can't assume that it's because no-one is confident of a positive result.

My feeling is that the reward for success is actually very low - and by that I mean no disrespect at all to Mr Shaw or Harbeth's range of speakers - compared with the effort required to meet the entry criteria. As I understand it, Mr Shaw's criteria are not simply that you turn up with two amplifiers and plug them into a test set-up that he/Harbeth provides. Rather you have to provide the whole test set-up yourself, except (I think) for the speakers.

For a commercial organisation to do this, I think it's reasonable to say that the value of winning a pair of some other manufacturer's speakers has essentially zero value. You might argue that there would be a publicity coup in winning, but again with due respect to Harbeth and their user community, I doubt that this challenge has a sufficiently high profile or marketing value to warrant the effort required to enter.

The number of individuals who have the expertise and wherewithal to provide two qualifying amplifiers and the associated test set-up is probably quite limited. The number of those individuals that want a pair of Harbeth M40.1s will be much smaller. Then from that small number, how many have the motivation to choose Mr Shaw's challenge rather than simply buying a pair of his speakers?

So my (slightly tongue in cheek) answer to your question "where are the black swans hiding?" is "in plain sight", because no-one's really bothering to make a point of looking for them in a disciplined way. And that may be because it doesn't particularly benefit anyone to settle the question of whether or not they exist.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
... I would be interested to know if you find any difference between the analog and digital outputs of the Connect into the DAC equipped model, if you ever get around to comparing.

Okay, will post in a couple of months.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Worst. Thread. Ever.
Userlevel 2
I have had SONOS for more than 4 years, but have never been that happy with the sound quality. I hooked up a Cambridge Audio DAC magic, which made a small improvement.

Next I had a Audiolab 8200 CDQ, which was significantly better than the DAC magic, but still the SONOS sound quality was not as good as CD

With the T+A DAC 8, I cannot reliably tell the difference between playing from a CD and playing a FLAC file stored on a NAS and playing through the ZP-80 with a Toslink connection to the T+A DAC 8.

Rhapsody sounds very nice indeed, but still a little noticeably inferior to CD. The DAC 8 really helps to improve the sound of Rhapsody. I still find the SQ of Rhapsody better than Spotify

ZP-80 and Audiolab 8200 CDQ >> T+A DAC 8 >> Hypex Ncore 400 >> B&W 805 Diamond

Lots of GIK acoustic panels !
The same holds true for music.
Another good point. If you attend enough live performances where you are sitting close enough to hear the instruments directly, the difference in quality between that experience and high end systems is stark and much more than that between high end and those that are merely capable.
If one can still enjoy music at home it is because the brain compensates for this difference - if you let it. And compensating for the second difference is much less of a stretch than for the first.
Women "get" this right away, I suspect.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have the PSB T2 speakers. They are really really nice. AS mentioned earlier, improving speakers is far and away the best way to improve sound quality.

What I hear when I run it through the oppo 105 (rarely) is some more stage, and a bit more base. Compared to speaker changes, though, the difference is marginal.

As I understand it, Mr Shaw's criteria are not simply that you turn up with two amplifiers and plug them into a test set-up that he/Harbeth provides. Rather you have to provide the whole test set-up yourself, except (I think) for the speakers.

While I can't speak to all his motivations, I know that you just have to turn up with two amplifiers, not the test set up. Harbeth claim to make speakers that are benign loads, needing power deliveries ranging from about 60 wpc to about 150 wpc depending on the model, to perform as designed at up to moderately loud sound levels without getting the amp to clip . Which amplifier isn't relevant, the power delivery rating is - so there also may be a subtle form of speaker marketing here. All I know is that to date no one has turned up.

There also have been other such offers by other people, and no black swan has turned up.

Based on how many times I have fooled myself to justify amp changes, expensive heavy DACs, and allied stuff in the past, I now prefer to apply the DBT route, even if imperfectly done at home, to evaluate equipment changes. Most of the time I don't bother now, where equipment is in good working order.

What I hear when I run it through the oppo 105 (rarely) is some more stage, and a bit more base. Compared to speaker changes, though, the difference is marginal.

This is also a well established outcome of even a very slight increase in sound levels. The only way you can be sure that is not the case is by doing an ABX test with instrument based sound level matching, when this marginal difference may well disappear.
While I can't speak to all his motivations, I know that you just have to turn up with two amplifiers, not the test set up. Harbeth claim to make speakers that are benign loads, needing power deliveries ranging from about 60 wpc to about 150 wpc depending on the model, to perform as designed at up to moderately loud sound levels without getting the amp to clip . Which amplifier isn't relevant, the power delivery rating is - so there also may be a subtle form of speaker marketing here. All I know is that to date no one has turned up.

There also have been other such offers by other people, and no black swan has turned up.

Based on how many times I have fooled myself to justify amp changes, expensive heavy DACs, and allied stuff in the past, I now prefer to apply the DBT route, even if imperfectly done at home, to evaluate equipment changes. Most of the time I don't bother now, where equipment is in good working order.

The Amazing Randi offered $1 million U.S. to an audiophile journalist if he could distinguish between low price speaker leads and a set costing $7000+. The challenge was agreed to, then both the journalist and the cable manufacturer backed out.
Userlevel 2
Hi all,

Please excuse me hijacking the thread a little. But I am about to jump into SONOS ownership.

I am getting a Play 5, ConnectAMP and Connect. my question is regarding the Connect. I will be adding this to my Living Room AV Setup which is an ONKYO 805 Amplifier and an aged but loved pair of Castle Avon floor standing speakers. My question is that for music use only will adding a DAC (Arcam RDac or Cambridge Audio) be something worth considering or am I limited by the amp?