Answered

CR200 Controller and TradeUp

• 21 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

How does TradeUp work for a CR200 Controller - essentially a product for which there is no (hardware) replacement?

The TradeUp page allows me to check the box next to it and then “Click to receive your credit” (which I haven’t done yet, because I’m unsure about what I let myself in for). This doesn’t indicate that the recycle mode will be initiated. Does this mean I can claim 30% per controller that I own, but it won’t stop working?

Can I then use the discount on any Sonos product?

If I understand it correctly, then as long as I leave a legacy product (e.g. a CR200 controller) in the setup, none of my components will receive software updates, right?

I guess I can’t use more than one TradeUp discount (30%) on a single new product? I don’t really need new products, but if I start adding the discounts for my controllers for the purchase of one item, I may “need” a new product ;-)

Thanks….

icon

Best answer by jgatie 21 January 2020, 18:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

For what its worth, here’s my experience:

I was horrified (actually flabbergasted) to hear of the obsolescence of my five (or more) Sonos products yesterday so I logged into my Sonos account to investigate. Three Connects with “End of software updates” status (Trade Up Eligible), an EoSU bridge and a CR200 Controller that was shown as EoSU (Trade Up Eligible). I was particularly intrigued with this last item as my controller is now redundant due to the well publicised dead-spots issue.

Being inquisitive, I thought I’d check to see the notional “value” of the trade-up scheme, particularly with regard to the CR200. I clicked through and found it was eligible for 30% off numerous products, including Port, bringing it down from a ridiculous £399 to a more manageable £279. Before I realised what I’d done I observed a message: “Trade Up initiated. Credit available”. It seems I’d already started the countdown clock.

I swore loudly at this point causing my wife to enquire. I described the whole situation… she said I’d basically been completely mugged by Sonos for over 1500 quid in total.

Right, so no “forced end” in 21 days (just no software updates)

But I can only use one 30% discount per product, i.e. I couldn’t claim 60% on a new PlayBar if I opted to receive my credit for two CR200s, right? 

Yes, 30% per product or bundle, you can’t add them up.

Right, so no “forced end” in 21 days (just no software updates)

But I can only use one 30% discount per product, i.e. I couldn’t claim 60% on a new PlayBar if I opted to receive my credit for two CR200s, right? 

No need to replace anything, the 30% discount can be used on any Sonos product.  It can also be used towards most bundles.