Answered

WiFi speed

Does everyone have the same experience as I do?
We have a perfectly decent Wi-Fi service – about 32 Mb/s, but as soon as I stream anything, either via the airplay or the Sonos app or not, then the Internet crumbles to a halt. I sometimes have to switch it off just to move from one page to the next.

Surely this can’t be how it’s meant to be?!?

icon

Best answer by ratty 15 May 2022, 19:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

No. There’s something wrong with your network. 
If the 32Mbps is your internet service it’s pretty slow these days. If it’s your actual WiFi speed it’s decidedly lacklustre. 
I suggest you submit a Sonos system diagnostic, note the confirmation number, and contact Sonos Support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I don’t think Sonos would have sold many speakers if everyone had your experience! 

My system has my wifi running on a fixed channel 1, and SonosNet for my speakers on Channel 11. 

Have you tried locking your wifi channel? Have you looked for the cleanest channel in your area? Do you use fixed ip addresses?

@Dr Matt 
In addition to using fixed non-overlapping WiFi channel 1, 6 or 11 (and perhaps setting a channel-width of 20Mhz only) you could perhaps look at moving things over to SonosNet aswell, with one Sonos device wired to the main router, as outlined in this support document link below, but if you choose that option, then also ensure the SonosNet channel set in the Sonos App is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

You may find these two links helpful too:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209

Change your router’s WiFi channel:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4769

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m much happier with my WiFi being for other wireless devices and having my Sonos on the SonosNet wireless on a different channel.

If you can’t run a wire to any main (not sub or surround) Sonos a Boost is fairly cheap.

DO NOT get a Bridge, you do not want one!

Thanks all. Ratty - I think it very much depends on your location! We don’t have access to anything faster, and the speed in reality is a fraction of that advertised!

it sounds like a the Boost is a good idea. 

Can I ask anyone with experience of this, does it connect to router either by Ethernet or by Wi-Fi and you then have to select then Sonos Wi-Fi every time you want to play, and the existing mesh system will happily go on at normal speeds

One last question! How do you know which Wi-Fi channel the router and mesh system are using?

many thanks

Matt

Thanks all. Ratty - I think it very much depends on your location! We don’t have access to anything faster, and the speed in reality is a fraction of that advertised!

it sounds like a the Boost is a good idea. 

Can I ask anyone with experience of this, does it connect to router either by Ethernet or by Wi-Fi and you then have to select then Sonos Wi-Fi every time you want to play, and the existing mesh system will happily go on at normal speeds

One last question! How do you know which Wi-Fi channel the router and mesh system are using?

many thanks

Matt

Note: It’s not clear what Sonos products you have already from your posts here, but I will just highlight that you can use many of the various Sonos products cabled to the router (over Ethernet) instead of a Boost to create a SonosNet mesh signal to all. Ideally use a standalone device that’s not a surround or sub, something like a Sonos One, Port, Five etc. admittedly however I choose to use a Boost myself.

The system will continue operate in a similar way as it does now and your Sonos controller device will be unchanged and just needs to be connected either to your routers WiFi signal or wired to the LAN. You do not have to connect your controller devices to the SonosNet signal, which is unavailable to you anyway.

The router WiFi channel can be changed in its own web-based configuration page (or some have an App for that too). This link may assist you:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4769

The SonosNet channel can be changed via the Sonos App, just goto ‘Settings/System/Networks’ to do that. Perhaps to begin with simply try your router WiFi on Channel 1 and SonosNet on Channel 6 and see how that goes for you.

No. There’s something wrong with your network. If the 32Mbps is your internet service it’s pretty slow these days. If it’s your actual WiFi speed it’s decidedly ***

***Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct. Specifically, removed spam link.*

Ken - many thanks. I have a whole bunch of different speakers - 10 I think! None of them are wired in just because of locations. 
I have actually opted for a boost too!

thanks for all your tips

matt 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

32mbps may be slow these days but for some it is still all they can get :-(

That’s not even half mobile 5G WiFi speed using a SIM card these days - maybe you would be better off getting mobile WiFi perhaps?

I’m travelling about the UK in a camper van and able to get double that download speed over an EE mobile network connection.

Just done a Speedtest check linked to mobile WiFi and getting 70+ mbps. That costs £15 per month.

So if you can get a steady 5G mobile signal where you live, maybe look at that option instead.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

That’s not even half mobile 5G WiFi speed using a SIM card these days - maybe you would be better off getting mobile WiFi perhaps?

I’m travelling about the UK in a camper van and able to get double that download speed over an EE mobile network connection.

Just done a Speedtest check linked to mobile WiFi and getting 70+ mbps. That costs £15 per month.

So if you can get a steady 5G mobile signal where you live, maybe look at that option instead.

I use 5g broadband in my house now and get 300 down and 40 up with three for 21 a month and it's unlimited 

Ditched Virgin broadband for it no regrets