Answered

Sonos One downgrade

Userlevel 1

Accidentally upgraded to S2.  Need to downgrade my Sonos ones to be compatible with S1 controller.  Reset and they are at flashing green, but S1 controller add device option is greyed out.  So mad! Need help!

icon

Best answer by Smilja 15 June 2020, 19:31

View original

46 replies

Very curious where you might have read that downgrading is possible - I’ve always read it is not possible. Do you have a link?

Is this process reversible?

While we don’t recommend downgrading your products to S1 after updating to S2, it is possible to downgrade by resetting the S2 products to their factory settings and adding them to an existing S1 system. An existing Sonos product running S1 software is required to downgrade an S2 product back to S1. Note that all settings and preferences will be lost when downgrading a product from S2 to S1.

Set up separate S1 and S2 Sonos systems

Back here that poster was complaining of nothing but trouble with S1. Here he was earnestly awaiting a backordered Arc (which of course requires S2).

There’s no pleasing some folks… :frowning2:

Sonos customer service inadvertently upgraded me to S2 and I am livid to say the least.  NEVER trust Sonos customer service.  I am looking at maybe a Bose or other setup for my living room now.  Suggestions anyone? 

According to your profile you have an Arc.  This can operate only on S2, not S1.  Your other products listed are S2 compatible.  Would you have been less livid to have been left on S1 and unable to use your Arc?  Good luck with Bose.  That is assuming that that your post is genuine - it certainly doesn’t make much sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have also upgraded my one SL to S2 after my router went down. This SL was configured to a S1 controller and was functioning well together with the other S1 speakers. Now I cannot downgrade it to S1 again. It plays well on the S2 controller but when I try to downgrade it the S2 controller cannot find the one SL. Any Ideas what I can do?

Once a Sonos OneSL is running on S2 there is no way to downgrade back to S1. 
It just still works for Sonos One (without SL). 

So there is no way to downgrade a system once every unit has been converted over to S2? My setup of 4 Play:1’s has been working perfectly for years now, but after the S2 upgrade they are basically useless to me. I am getting frequent drops on the systems and we only have 1 device that can run the S2 app. They were upgraded on accident, and up until now I loved the system, never needed to come here for support. Not a power user but a user that has gone from very satisfied to debating tossing the whole system on ebay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Guru0006 Right. With the Arc you need S2, so the upgrade wasn’t inadvertently, it was to get your system on the same software to get them working together, probably the solution to having an s1 system not connecting to an s2 only Arc.

Can you tell what problem you have with owning an s2 system?

I got the update message today, and I did not consider that it might put my existing system into an inconsistent state. If I had written the specification I’d make sure there was a pretty big warning that you’re going to break existing functionality if you accept the update on a mixed legacy/modern network.

Back to resetting Play:1 and Play:3 speakers so they’ll play nice with my gen 1 Connects. It can be done, but I figure I’m done updating my Sonos system.

So how did they manage (and still) to include the other symfonisk speakers from IKEA into the S1?

they have airplay.

it’s all about the date… (!)

Just a milstone for dropping out new supported devices to S1…

All about the cash, decided by the men in black suits…

@RentalGuy . There is no such thing as an S1 unit or S2 unit.

The reasons for the S1 / S2 split have been explained numerous times. It isn't going to change. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Ok, picky.  S1 Compatible only an S1/S2 Compatible.  And reasons for having S2 is not the issue - it’s how they implemented it. 

Ok, picky.  S1 Compatible only an S1/S2 Compatible.  And reasons for having S2 is not the issue - it’s how they implemented it. 

It's not beimg picky. It is precisely because there are devices that could go in either an S1 or S2 system that it is better to have a clear separation of the units in the two systems. 

The fact that you think it is being picky shows you have missed the point. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m not sure this means they are on S1 though. Maybe someone else knows this?

Successfully downgraded Boost from S2 to S1. Boost can't be setup on new S1 system first. Setup Play 5 first and add Boost to that existing system. Powered off Sonos One product that is on S2. Rebooted internet router before the downgrade. Now successfully running S1 and S2 systems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Very curious where you might have read that downgrading is possible - I’ve always read it is not possible. Do you have a link?

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the response Controlav,

Although I had previously tried your suggestion, I had another go at the Sonos today just to double check.

Something was different this time around - all the devices needed to be re-registered again, message saying they were previously part of another Sonos setup - and all of them then went on and behaved as expected.  Unless something was done centrally to my account I cannot understand what exactly changed.   

But all are now back working on S1 and my Play:1’s and Play:5 are pals again - one day I’ll get over the shock of the near obsolescence threat, something will make saying goodbye to the Play:5 worthwhile, and I’ll buy another Sonos product.

Thanks again - and sorry I cannot be much help to anyone trying to downgrade from S2 to S1 - all I can say it is definitely possible for a Play:1.

I have also upgraded my one SL to S2 after my router went down. This SL was configured to a S1 controller and was functioning well together with the other S1 speakers. Now I cannot downgrade it to S1 again. It plays well on the S2 controller but when I try to downgrade it the S2 controller cannot find the one SL. Any Ideas what I can do?

Sonos customer service inadvertently upgraded me to S2 and I am livid to say the least.  NEVER trust Sonos customer service.  I am looking at maybe a Bose or other setup for my living room now.  Suggestions anyone? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@mertoncm regarding “downgrading”: i have been able to move a device that had been upgraded to S2 over to an existing S1 system:  playbase upgraded to S2, factory reset, open S1 controller app with existing S1 device(s), add device with “add product.” 

i can’t tell from what you’ve described if your S1 controller app is joined to an existing S1 system or not.  if it isn’t then that will be your problem as i’m sure Sonos won’t want users to setup completely new S1 systems using devices that have been upgraded to S2.

if you do have an existing S1 system and it won’t let you add the device it might be worth resetting the S1 app and connecting it to the system again and see if that clears up the issue.

Sono is pure crap since S2. I used to be so happy with my S1 system and showed it off to anyone who came over.

I cant even play a song anymore with drops or the song randomly changing halfway though on S2.
Same equipment more excuses about wifi interference but its quite funny how Samsung multiroom dont suffer… 
Im about to throw all these Sonos bricks in a pillow case and find a overpass…. 

Your issues sure seem like network issues of some type to me. I never had issues with either S1, nor do I have issues with S2. It’s challenging, certainly, but any network device such as Sonos is only as good as the network on which it sits. And since Sonos does so much cross talk between devices, in order to main tips in sync, it does have slight lumpy more stringent needs than many other network devices, but not so much so.

There’s not enough information in your post to help identify which particular network issue you’re experiencing. If you’re looking just to complain, then you’ve done so. If you’d like help from this community, posting additional details about your system would help us help you. 

However, since Sonos works so well for the majority of folks, if you’re unwilling to invest the modicum of effort, I’d suggest reselling your equipment to someone who’s willing to look at the issues. Sonos retains a significant re-sale value. May not be as satisfying as throwing them off an overpass, but your wallet would likely thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

From what I've read here there seems to be no difference between S1 and S2 from a wifi- standpoint, unless you where dependent on a Bridge, that is defunct under S2, but could be replaced by a Boost.

If by “we only have 1 device that can run the S2 app” you mean the phone you are using the app on, I think the requirements for the S1 and the S2 app are the same, so you also could run the S1 app on this device only.

From your post I gather you have wifi problems. Have you called Sonos to let them try and help you with this?

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately the S2 app does have different requirements - it is a 64 bit app on iOS and won’t run on older iPads or iPhones and unfortunately the rest of our home automation stuff is setup on older hardware that I don’t want to replace right now. My wife has a new iphone and didn’t understand that clicking the insistent upgrade button in the S1 app would make it so our Sonos system no longer worked with anything else.

Luckily we don’t have that large an investment in sonos stuff so far, the cost of replacing the other components would simply be more than replacing the sonos.

If I were to get an older device on ebay, could I setup a new S1 network and then reset all my devices onto that?

Userlevel 2

Installed Sonos on new Windows 10 PC and selected the Sonos S2 App on PC (without thinking and without any warning as to consequences - after all Sonos always just worked and I forgot all about the tech behind it - that was one of the biggest selling points) - I then connected my first Play:1 bluenote - and I did the usual system update.

Then I connected my old Play:5 and that’s when I realised my mistake...!

I removed the S2 App and installed the S1 App - Play:5 works and my other Play:1 bluenote works no problem - but the original that got upgraded by the S2 App is now not compatible and installing the S1 and S2 Apps on Phones and PCs (really!) just ends up in some catch-22 of complaints about incompatibility however I try it.

I’m now down a speaker...how do I get the old Play:1 back to to S1 OS - I’ve tried the factory reset (holding down of play/pause and + as you plug in) and it seems to remain on the S2 OS and is now incompatible.

Unless I am missing something obvious, this is a total mess, I know I’m behind the initial wave, but the tsunami will come when those users who, like me, forgot about the tech because Sonos was so good, begin to ‘upgrade’.

Help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Should work, I bought a ZP90 just so it would fail compatibility check for S2 and would allow a means to go back to S1 if necessary.

Luckily with it on my system it seems to have got rid of the incessant S2 upgrade banner..

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try this:

Factory reset the device you want on S1, turn off all other Sonos devices, then run the S1 mobile app and set up a new system. That should put the S1 firmware onto the device. I think.