Sonos Move battery draining when powered off

On the Move speaker, I press and hold down the power button until the Move completely powers off and I hear the tone.. I then leave it overnight, powered off and removed form the charger. The next day I switch it back on again and the battery level on the app has decreased by about 5%. This drop in battery power happens every day the move is switched off

This should not be happening if the Move is powered down. I returned the Move and was given a new speaker and yet again this is still happening. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I think 5% is too much for a fully powered down device but there are many users reporting much higher drain than you and Sonos are investigating.

Thanks, its nice to know its not just me who is experiencing this!

I wonder if its the app thats showing the wrong battery level or its the actual speaker battery thats at fault. Given its my second speaker it must be an issue with Sonos, who when I reported this to them last year they said there were no known issues, Cleary they are wrong. 

I have just sealed my return box with Sonos Move in it as not happy with it at all! I have experienced the same issue as hundreds of other Sonos Move owners who turn the speaker off, and next time you want to use it you can’t as it has completely drained the battery. I have gone back and forth for over a week with senior technical support who were unwilling to acknowledge that there is a major flaw with the speaker battery which turns itself back on into standby mode after it has been powered off and kept off the base away from any power. The first person I spoke to when I noticed the issue and called to log an issue put me on hold for 1h20m and then she hung up and claimed we got cut-off as she was totally clueless.

I have been left really disappointed with Sonos on this occasion as I do really rate their speakers - but there is a very big problem with their Sonos Move product and they need to stop sending them out to new customers until they have rectified the issue - or at least made it clear that the product will drain battery within 24hours if not kept on charge - which may then have an impact on the battery life. I saw a review where it mentioned the battery is only built to last 300 charges - so the speaker will last less than a year.

Moderator Note: Move Battery Lifespan (cycle count)

Sonos have admitted they are aware of a battery issue with the Movethat they are looking into and hope there will be an update or fix soon. The battery should not go down when powered off

I see that this issue still hasn’t been solved by Sonos. I am experiencing the same issue: I always power off the Sonos Move completely (by pressing the powerbutton for 5 seconds till I hear the chime) I do that in the evening. When I return the following morning the Move’s battery is totally empty or almost totally. I keep the Move off the loading ring because I don’t know if it is alright to keep the speaker on the loading ring all the time. 

I think it is highly incomprehensible that Sonos after more than a year still haven’t solved this very annoying issue.

So please Sonos SOLVE this. 

I confirm the battery drain issue on my Sonos Move. 

On Standby - runs dry in 2 days. 

On Off - runs dry in 5 days.

Sonos please release an update to address this issue.

I have the same problem. For example, if I power it off with 40% of power left when I turn it on two days later it’s down to 20%. Very disappointing. 

Userlevel 7

@Dutchman54 It’s best to keep the Move on the charging dock when not in use. It will keep your speaker charged when you need it. According to Sonos, keeping your Move on the charging dock will not degrade the battery life.

Sonos have admitted they are aware of a battery issue with the Movethat they are looking into and hope there will be an update or fix soon. The battery should not go down when powered off

Ok, one year later, I just bought this product and have the exact same issue. So, what have they done? Nothing? Cannot recommend this Sonos product! They are lying!

I think 5% is too much for a fully powered down device but there are many users reporting much higher drain than you and Sonos are investigating.

Don’t buy this product! The battery life is awful!

Our first sonos product & very disappointing.  Exact same issue as other as have been reporting for over a year.  The fact no resolution has been communicated to customers over this time speaks loudly, negatively, and in a very irritating pitch.   

Same goes for me! What a shame, first experience with Sonos and I literally hate it. Every time I try to turn it on, battery is empty.

It was fully loaded yesterday, I switched it off completely after I had used it for about 45min and now it is empty already, what a joke!

I have had it for about a week and I going for a full refund. I payed 400 euros for a product, and I already knew  it was going to let me down.

I have a  baggen speaker which cost 79 euros and it sounds way way way better!

I have only had my move for a few days now, and I came online to look to see if others had this problem, and found many of you do. I charged it up the first night, tried it out, it was at 100 percent. I shut it down fully, the next day not even 12 hours, turned it back on, went from 100% to 64%!!! Yes, 64! I thought, this can’t be right, so charged it again, shut it off, next day 100% to 72%. I wanted to give it one more charge and see what happened, I charged it up to 100%, then put it in low power mode to try that, 6 hours later, went from 100% to 64 again! So back it goes, for the price they are selling for, not worth it!

Userlevel 7

Comment deleted.

I know, it is a piece of **** ! It's as simple as that, it's useless. Cannot even use it without the battery and the worst part is, mark my words, you will have to buy a new battery after having it charged 300 times or something.

What a joke! 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 7

@Charmed79 @Jdl15 I completely shut off my Move last night before I went to bed. The battery was at 43%. When I turned the Move back on this morning 8.5 hours later, it was still at 43%.

Are you sure you are shutting off the Move correctly? You need to press and hold the power button for about five seconds until you hear a descending chime. If you just simply press the button, the Move is just being put in sleep/standby mode allowing the battery to drain much faster.

Yes, I'm sure I am shutting it down correctly, I'm no stranger to electronics, and have used many smart speakers from different brands. It does not seem to matter if I press and hold to shut it down, or place it in power saving mode, the battery drains over just a few hours. A simple Google search, and I found countless others with the very same issue, so that means it is a product problem, not user. I still have the Amazon tap, and a battery powered google speaker from many years ago, those batteries still holds a perfect charge, whether off or in standby, I've used Sony smart speakers, as well as Bose, all of which had no battery issues. After returning the speaker to Best Buy, I was informed that they receive a lot of them back for the same issue. 

I just got my Move and experienced that the battery was draining during night when I turned off the Move. At least I thought I turned it off. Haven’t read all in this thread but thought I’d share: 

There seems to be a difference if you turn off the Move by holding the power button until the device turns off, at least 5s.

vs. 

If the Move is turned off by holding the power button but released after less than 5s and it sounds like it is turned off and looks like it is turned off. 

the difference is that in the latter example above it is still possible for the Sonos app to connect to the device. While in the first example it is no longer possible to connect to the device with the Sonos app. 

when completely powered off the Sonos app cannot connect to the Move:

@Charmed79 @Jdl15 I completely shut off my Move last night before I went to bed. The battery was at 43%. When I turned the Move back on this morning 8.5 hours later, it was still at 43%.

Are you sure you are shutting off the Move correctly? You need to press and hold the power button for about five seconds until you hear a descending chime. If you just simply press the button, the Move is just being put in sleep/standby mode allowing the battery to drain much faster.

@Charmed79 & @GuitarSuperstar 

According to my experience this is not a contradiction to the observation of Charmed79, since the issue is not occuring after every turn-off (button > 5sec) but sporadically.

I experienced the same issue and finally I think I at least found a work arround, which is satisfying for me. (Sonos support chat also did not help me and the service of last chat was actually below ground level...)

First of all, I realized that the battery percentage is only updated after a certain time. So checking the value immediately before turn-off is not always telling you the actual value. Therefore, sometimes the battery level displayed after turn-on is a bit lower than before simply due to that.

After trying a lot of things, which might influence the turn-off behavior, I realized that pressing the power button longer than 5sec simply does not turn off the move reliably. What actually helped (at least for some days now) is to configure the move to turn off automatically when not in use

sorry for the German version ;-)

If you then simply press the power button shortly (=stdby), the Move will turn-off completely and reliably after an hour or so. To be on the safe side I terminated the Sonos App (not only closed the App) on my iPhone before.

Would be cool if somebody could share the experience after doing the same.

I know, it is a piece of **** ! It's as simple as that, it's useless. Cannot even use it without the battery and the worst part is, mark my words, you will have to buy a new battery after having it charged 300 times or something.

What a joke! 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Do not believe anybody telling you, that it does not harm the lithium ion battery to be fully charged all the time. Also Sonos does not have the magic lithium ion battery.

If you keep the battery between 10% and 80% charge, it will survive much longer. I observe this for many years on different devices including the device I am currently typing on: 7 years old, 1600 charging cycles, still 90% of the design capacity. I am sure my Moves wil behave similarly.

Bought my product this week thinking that this issue would be resolved by now. The exact same issue replicated. That is a big fail from Sonos!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Bought my product this week thinking that this issue would be resolved by now. The exact same issue replicated. That is a big fail from Sonos!

I have two Moves and if set to Battery Saver on they last weeks.  With battery saver off it depends how open the app is opened for.  Every time you open the app the Moves wake from standby, even if you are not using them.  If they go to sleep on the battery saver they will last ages but you will have to press the power button to use them again.

Another thing you can do is to put the Move into deep sleep by pressing the power button for 7 seconds, you should hear one tone then another tone.  Again once in this mode it takes manual button power push to wake them.

Other than an issue on one of the updates earlier this year, both the moves I have are excellent and when off base I get a good 8-10hrs of usage.

I'll try to summarize. Your Move drains battery.  If in the configuration you put the battery save switch on AND you don't configure any assistant (no Alexa no Google) Move ,switched off ,drains from 5 to 7% of the battery each day. Move will drain the battery to 0% in 17 to 20 day. If you stay off home for more than 15 days you have two choises.

Leave the Move on the charger, but as far as I know a lithium battery doesn't like to stay at 100% of charge for a long time and in any case are you confident leaving a lithium battery on charge for a long time when you are off ?.

Don't leave the Move on the charger, but as far as I know to slowly discharge a lithium battery and leave it discharged for some time is the best way to destroy it.

In general the known autodischarge of a lithium battery is 3% each MONTH. It seems we have a problem.

So, the choice is not simple but may be that Sonos guys can help us.

Stay safe and enjoy the music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

My Moves stay on the charger for months at a time.  They are used as outdoor speakers but get little use in the winter,  I did use them outside last week and the battery capacity seemed as good as when I bought them.  Had them for nearly 3 years now on this regime and they seem fine.