Answered

Sonos Arc + AppleTV + Samsung TV = No Dolby Atmos

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

My tv is a Samsung QN85QN90AAFXZA. It’s less than a year old and has eArc. 
Hooked up the Arc and 4K AppleTV but don’t get Dolby Atmos showing during playback in the Sonos app…  It reads “Multichannel PCM 5.1”

Known issue?  User error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated  

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 October 2022, 07:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What’s the sound output on the Apple TV set to?

@Clemdog,
Perhaps see this link..

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212714

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Default Audio Output - TV Speakers

Audio Format - Off…

These settings really don’t make any sense to me. However changing them around don’t seem to help

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Clemdog,
Perhaps see this link..

“On your Apple TV 4K, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Audio Format. Under Immersive Audio, check that Dolby Atmos is on.”

Oddly when I try to do this there’s no selection for “Immersive Audio.”

@Clemdog,
Perhaps see this link..

“On your Apple TV 4K, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Audio Format. Under Immersive Audio, check that Dolby Atmos is on.”

The TV doesn’t appear to support Dolby Digital Plus (looking in rtings.com) - so I presume that’s the reason, but it does support Atmos via TrueHD (uncompressed)… have you tried it with eARC switched off to see if that might make a difference?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Clemdog,
Perhaps see this link..

The TV doesn’t appear to support Dolby Digital Plus (looking in rtings.com) - so I presume that’s the reason, but it does support Atmos via TrueHD (uncompressed)… have you tried it with eARC switched off to see if that might make a difference?

When I turn of eARC off the Sonos app reads “Stereo PCM.”

@Clemdog,
Perhaps see this link..

I can’t find anything to say that your particular TV supports DD+ (Plus) at all - can you check the user manual. The streaming services use that lossy codec with Atmos metadata to provide Atmos audio - if your TV does not support it, then I think your won’t get Atmos audio other than via Dolby TrueHD lossless. The TV supports the DTS X/HQ formats and Dolby 5.1 and TrueHD instead. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Clemdog,
Perhaps see this link..

I can’t find anything to say that your particular TV supports DD+ (Plus) at all - can you check the user manual. The streaming services use that lossy codec with Atmos metadata to provide Atmos audio - if your TV does not support it, then I think your won’t get Atmos audio other than via Dolby TrueHD lossless. The TV supports the DTS X/HQ formats and Dolby 5.1 and TrueHD instead. 

The manual says the following:

”Dolby Digital+ is supported for up to 5.1 channels.“

@Clemdog,

Does the TV allow you to select that DD+ codec in its audio settings? - if so, then maybe try that and then see what audio you can set on the Apple TV when you power cycle the ATV/TV & Arc after changing that setting.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Nothing on either the tv or AppleTV indicating DD+

This is frustrating…When I bought this tv I specifically made sure it supported eARC pass through. Now that doesn’t matter. 

Nothing on either the tv or AppleTV indicating DD+

This is frustrating…When I bought this tv I specifically made sure it supported eARC pass through. Now that doesn’t matter. 

Well if the TV does supports DD+ then you should be fine, albeit I couldn’t see that codec mentioned on rtings.com for that particular TV - I would have expected the Apple TV to show ‘immersive audio’ aswell, but maybe check with Samsung support desk and see what they might suggest.

@Clemdog,

As another thought, If you play a movie from the TV in-built Apps (such as Netflix - 6 Underground movie) do you get Dolby Atmos from that App?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Clemdog,

As another thought, If you play a movie from the TV in-built Apps (such as Netflix - 6 Underground movie) do you get Dolby Atmos from that App?

Good thought. No luck however…

How old is the Apple TV? It needs to be one of the newer ones to support Atmos/ Dolby Digital Plus. Might be worth double checking that your Apple TV supports these formats, especially if that isn’t appearing as an option in the settings. It is running tvOS 16.0 (20J373)?

@Clemdog,

Ensure your Netflix subscription is ‘Premium UltraHD’ in order to get Atmos via that App - if it is …and the TV Netflix App is not supporting Atmos audio output, I would be thinking the TV is not supporting the Dolby Digital Plus codec, but definitely check that with the Samsung Support Staff and see what they say.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

How old is the Apple TV? It needs to be one of the newer ones to support Atmos/ Dolby Digital Plus. Might be worth double checking that your Apple TV supports these formats, especially if that isn’t appearing as an option in the settings. It is running tvOS 16.0 (20J373)?

Interesting thought…. Are you saying that the older 4K AppleTVs potentially won’t work with my setup?  Let me check that out. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Clemdog,

Ensure your Netflix subscription is ‘Premium UltraHD’ in order to get Atmos via that App - if it is …and the TV Netflix App is not supporting Atmos audio output, I would be thinking the TV is not supporting the Dolby Digital Plus codec, but definitely check that with the Samsung Support Staff and see what they say.

Yes. I’ve got the most expensive tier of Netflix. 

Probably the 4K Apple should have it, assuming their software is up to date, but likely older versions wouldn’t, since they pre-date  the release of Atmos, and may not have the hardware to support it.

The key thing in my mind is Ken’s suggestion about the audio settings in the Apple TV itself. You’re stating it doesn’t appear, which is concerning, on both of my Apple TV 4K models, it does. So either the hardware could be too old, or the OS running on those devices might be out of date, in my opinion. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Probably the 4K Apple should have it, assuming their software is up to date, but likely older versions wouldn’t, since they pre-date  the release of Atmos, and may not have the hardware to support it.

The key thing in my mind is Ken’s suggestion about the audio settings in the Apple TV itself. You’re stating it doesn’t appear, which is concerning, on both of my Apple TV 4K models, it does. So either the hardware could be too old, or the OS running on those devices might be out of date, in my opinion. 

We have a winner!!

I swapped out the AppleTV with a newer one I had in another room that was purchased just a couple of months ago. 
Now the Sonos app indicates Atmos!

Thanks to all for your help with this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

So here’s a follow up question unrelated to Atmos. 
When I raise or lower the volume on the Arc there’s a visible indication on the screen. Anyway to make that visible que go away?

That’s generated by the TV, not by Sonos. While I think it’s unlikely, you may want to poke around in the TV’s settings for something that may affect that. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

That’s generated by the TV, not by Sonos. While I think it’s unlikely, you may want to poke around in the TV’s settings for something that may affect that. 

I’ll take a look. 
Oddly before the Sonos I had a Samsung soundbar hooked up the same way to the tv but no on screen indicator 

Odd indeed. All Sonos does is pass a “I’ve adjusted the volume based on your instructions” back to the TV set, the TV set decides what to display. There just isn’t the ability for Sonos to put that on a screen. Or choose to display or not display it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Odd indeed. All Sonos does is pass a “I’ve adjusted the volume based on your instructions” back to the TV set, the TV set decides what to display. There just isn’t the ability for Sonos to put that on a screen. Or choose to display or not display it. 

Bruce - Thanks so much for all your help and expertise on these issues!

You’re correct in that I don’t find anything in the TVs menu looks like it would turn off the overlay. 

Not that I’ve owned a lot of TVs, but the implementation of the CEC/ARC standards are mostly similar. There are small variations, which can cause issues (like the Samsung Frame, for instance), but I’ve not yet seen one that allows that sort of control. Doesn’t mean there isn’t one, just that I’ve not yet seen it :)