Answered

Sonos app keeps losing wifi signal

• 22 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello,

We are new to sonos and have recently purchased 3 play 5’s. We are all using android phones and are all experiencing the same issue… losing the wifi connection with the controller.

We live in a large house (6000sq ft) and the speakers are outside in our outdoor living area. Our router is centrally located on the top floor of the house. I am using a sonos boost. Everything works perfectly when we are in our home. Its just when we go out side… the controller appears to lose wifi coverage making it difficult to connect to speakers, change songs… etc.

Not sure what to do… whether to get a WIFI extender, if so, which one? indoor or outdoor? or use a mesh router?

Any help would be appreciated...

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 April 2021, 14:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Craig B 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We don’t recommend the use of WiFi extenders as they half the available bandwidth and often don’t pass multicast packets, and thus interfere with Sonos operations on your network.

A mesh system would be much more stable and reliable, and they use a separate WiFi connection for back-hauling so do not reduce available bandwidth.

When adding a mesh system to an existing network, you must make sure to put it into Bridge/AP mode, or it will create a second network. Instructions for this can easily be found by doing a Google search for the name of the mesh system and “mesh bridge mode”. Links to the common ones can be found in our Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi article under the Mesh Networks section, along with some more information.

Hi Corry,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Can you recommend a good mesh router that will work well with Sonos?

Regards,

Craig

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Craig B 

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Can you recommend a good mesh router that will work well with Sonos?

In short, no - I’m not allowed to.

Hopefully someone in the community will recommend one. I have seen all the models mentioned in the Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi article work with Sonos, though as mentioned, Google Mesh doesn’t seem to play well with other routers.