Answered

Do I factory reset all Sonos devices? - My App randomly loses them

• 27 April 2021
  • 6 replies

I have 10 Sonos Devices - all have worked fine for years/months without issue - however all of a sudden (past month maybe more) the Sonos App cannot see multiple devices or sometimes the entire system.  Other apps (such as spotify) can see them - and if you physicially press play on the devices they continue to play the last playlist so are connected to wifi.

It’s completely random,  somtimes the app sees all. sometimes none and sometimes just one - they are all connected via Wifi.

I’ve tried

• complete factory reset on my home router (BT)  - no change
  • Factory reset of one/two devices but no change - no change
  • I’ve attempted evey change on the forums (2.4 channel change, re assign nwk, find system etc.)  - no change
  • uninstalled the app on all iphones/ipads - no change
  • I’ve done the above multiple times with different results at different times - when you finally think evything is working again the app allows you contorl devices for a short period of time and then loses them again.

Is there anything else I can try?   Diagnostics report is 1807092244

Devices - Playbar - Sub - 3 x Sonos One - 2 x Sonos One with Alexa -  1 x Sonos Move - 1 x Sonos five - 1 x Sonos Three 

icon

Best answer by Xander P 27 April 2021, 11:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Have you reserved each Sonos device an IP address on your router and restarted each item on the network?

This should stop the possibility of having duplicate IP addresses on different devices.

DO NOT RESET YOUR SONOS DEVICES UNLESS TOLD TO DO SO BY SUPPORT. (CERTAINLY NOT ALL OF THEM!  YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS, SONOS PLAYLISTS ETC.)

Hey sjw !!  Thanks for the reply - not really sure how to do that but when looking on the routers control page I could clearly see that all Sonos and other devices had unique addresses

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @SpandexT, and welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sounds like you may be being affected by an issue with the BT SmartHub 2 router, where devices connected to the 2.4GHz won’t be able to see devices connected to the 5GHz, and vice versa.

For now, the workaround seems to be to disable the 5GHz band on your router settings, or connecting a Sonos device to the router via Ethernet cable (this may not work if you have a Move or a Roam)

You can find some more information on our help page - BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues

Hope this helps :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It may not show others though.  Some devices may have one (or think it does) and your router restsrt could actually cause the issue by ‘reissuing' it.

Reserve each one so it always gets the address it currently has and restart everything.  You will need the MAC address of each Sonos device (printed on each one and also shown in the
App (About My System))

EDIT: yes, as above if you happen to have this specific router that is also an issue - however, it's still good practice to reserve the IP as mentioned).

Hi @SpandexT, and welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sounds like you may be being affected by an issue with the BT SmartHub 2 router, where devices connected to the 2.4GHz won’t be able to see devices connected to the 5GHz, and vice versa.

For now, the workaround seems to be to disable the 5GHz band on your router settings, or connecting a Sonos device to the router via Ethernet cable (this may not work if you have a Move or a Roam)

You can find some more information on our help page - BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues

Hope this helps :)

So far so good - have disabled and it’s only 30 mins but looks to be ok - I’ll monitir it and advise 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

To add a further explanation to the great advice from @sjw please see my post here:

Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community