Answered

Arc and Sky Q

Hi got my arc Wednesday connected it to tv through hdmi arc port turned on sky q all was fine until I wanted to watch a film on Netflix or Disney + app through sky, there sound when watching trailers but no sound once I select a film to watch, any help would be much appreciated 

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 26 June 2020, 19:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @brents82,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your question about your Sonos Arc.

If you are still experiencing audio issues, please start by submitting a diagnostic report  from your Sonos app while this occurring and post the confirmation number here so that I can take a look.

You should also confirm that your Arc is connected via HDMI/ARC or eARC directly to your TV and that the TV is passing a supported format on to Sonos.

Any further details that you can provide regarding the source of your media (cable, streaming, DVD) and the manufacture/model of your TV could help us help you to resolve this issue. 

Hi thanks for reply 

diagnostic conformation number is 

Arc is connected through hdmi arc via Samsung connect box the issue only happens when watching Netflix and Disney + apps through sky q if audio is set to Dolby digital plus, which you need to receive Atmos, there is no sound output at all but if I stream direct through the tv thereis  no issue With  sound on either app 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @brents82,

Thank you for your response and diagnostic report number. 

I’ve noticed that some Samsung TVs aren’t passing the DD+ signal through correctly when eARC is enabled.

If you disable eARC within the TV settings when playing Atmos content from your Sky Q box, does this audio issue resolve? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Jean C. 

I’m also having this issue. If eARC is enabled then I get no sound from the Sonos Arc. 

I can confirm if I turn this off, I do then get sound. 

Any idea on a timescale on your developers looking into this issue?

Regards

Frank

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@FBhoy86,

Thank you for reaching out information here on the Sonos Community. 

We are now aware of this playback issue and are working to resolve it.

Unfortunately I do not have a time-frame for when this might occur. Please keep an eye out for further information here or on our announcement forum.

I also have the ARC and I am having a similar frustrating result when watching Netflix or Disney+ via connected Roku Ultra with content that is DD+.  Sound cut out intermittently or just goes away entirely. Was told by Sonos tech to just switch to PCM rather than bitstream essentially defaulting to 2-channel stereo (didn’t spend that kind of money for stereo sound); also stated it was a Roku issue. Playing same sources directly through LG TV works fine. Oddly I have received Atmos through both methods, but via Roku it is Inconsistently problematic. 
Sad thing is especially after the Beta test and possible update, I am no more impressed with the ARC (sound quality and stability) as I am my Beam; should have just bought another Beam instead in hindsight. The Beam worked seamless with the Roku. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @hoffw68,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community with your issue.

The current reliable workaround is to disable the eARC when using DD+ audio and only enable eARC when you are playing Dolby Atmos True HD audio.

So my aging Denon AVR has no issue dealing with processing DD+ audio and DTS for that matter, but your telling me to essentially switch to 2-channel audio (switch from Bitstream to PCM)? I am assuming that is what you mean by stating disable eARC?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@hoffw68

I mean Switch to ARC rather than having the eARC feature enabled on your TV. 

My LG TV doesn’t technically have eARC as an option to enable/disable, but yet it does pass Atmos. So even though I prefer the functionality of the Roku, seems using TV Apps (Tablo, Netflix, Disney+) is the direction I’ll have to take due to limitations between Sonos and Roku; at least if I want improved sound. Either that or switch back to my Beam which sounds just as good as Arc anyways. Thanks. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@hoffw68 

Understood. The issue seems to only be related to the way that the LG TV is handling and passing on the DD+ signal from the external HDMI source. 

As a Roku user myself, I do understand and this is frustrating from my end as I do not have a good workaround for this specific issue. Are you able to set this back to DD 5.1 rather than DD +?    

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Here's an update for all users using Samsung 2020 QLED (LS03T) Range in the US.
Samsung released a firmware update version 1402.1 that may assist in mitigating the issue.
Currently, the update appears to only be available for US models and via a manual USB update.
Reach out to Samsung for further assistance and hope this helps.
We and the community are always here to help.