Why are your updates so terrible. Latest update 15.6 build 74.0.43110 broke the sonos service on iOS devices.

• 5 August 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1

I updated my sonos apps and system as required by you Sonos and since that time I cannot access any of my sonos system from any iOS devices fortunately it is still working from my windows PC so I know it is working. Tomorrow I will try uninstalling and reinstalling my iOS devices with the Sonos app. This is unacceptable you make great hardware and terrible software. If this were the first or second or even third time this has happened, I might overlook it, but this happens all too often. The fix always involves some complicated hoop jumping to get the system back to working order. I have other things to do with my time other than to test your software. I will continue to not recommend your products to friends and family. I so very much want you to be better than you are sonos. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Just reboot your router, its a lot quicker than what you are proposing.

Userlevel 1

Thank you. I have rebooted the router several times. Has no effect on the iOS devices that we have updated. All devices we have not updated work fine. I know I can fix it just is annoying to see something break simply because you followed the instructions of Sonos. As I stated in my original post love the hardware hate the software. I have had Sonos products for over 12 years the hardware keeps getting better but the software has always been a problem. To Sonos’s credit things are better than they used to be but still they have a long way to go. I’m listening to my sonos one that is in my office right now since I started it using a device that I haven’t updated yet. But my updated iphone still can’t find my sonos system. 

Thank you. I have rebooted the router several times. Has no effect on the iOS devices that we have updated. All devices we have not updated work fine. I know I can fix it just is annoying to see something break simply because you followed the instructions of Sonos. As I stated in my original post love the hardware hate the software. I have had Sonos products for over 12 years the hardware keeps getting better but the software has always been a problem. To Sonos’s credit things are better than they used to be but still they have a long way to go. I’m listening to my sonos one that is in my office right now since I started it using a device that I haven’t updated yet. But my updated iphone still can’t find my sonos system. 

What iOS version is installed on the Apple device that currently isn’t working for you?

Same for me. Today, for no reason I can fathom, neither of my Play:1 speakers work. I am now getting error 1005 or 1012. Tried rebooting router, reinstalling apps and speakers, to no avail. updates fail, reverting to S1 fails. Nothing works, but nothing had changed so why did it stop? Hmmmm, methinks it’s the app...
Hardware=fantastic
iOS app=terrible
Great job SONOS, you’ve * it up for me again!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Same for me. Today, for no reason I can fathom, neither of my Play:1 speakers work. I am now getting error 1005 or 1012. Tried rebooting router, reinstalling apps and speakers, to no avail. updates fail, reverting to S1 fails. Nothing works, but nothing had changed so why did it stop? Hmmmm, methinks 

There’s no way to revert to S1 with the hardware shown in your profile - how did you go about trying to do that with your system?

Reinstalling your speakers - if you’ve fully reset the speakers already (and the App too) you ‘might’ (perhaps) have over-written your system. You are best not to reset anything. I suggest you get in touch with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK, as you maybe doing more harm than good. They can then check your setup with you over the phone and hopefully get you back up and running.

Same for me. Today, for no reason I can fathom, neither of my Play:1 speakers work. I am now getting error 1005 or 1012. Tried rebooting router, reinstalling apps and speakers, to no avail. updates fail, reverting to S1 fails. Nothing works, but nothing had changed so why did it stop? Hmmmm, methinks 

There’s no way to revert to S1 with the hardware shown in your profile - how did you go about trying to do that with your system?

Reinstalling your speakers - if you’ve fully reset the speakers already (and the App too) you ‘might’ (perhaps) have over-written your system. You are best not to reset anything. I suggest you get in touch with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK, as you maybe doing more harm than good. They can then check your setup with you over the phone and hopefully get you back up and running.

I’ve spent most of the day trying to get either of my speakers working. The app said I could revert to S1 with my Play:1 speakers. They have been working for ages without issue and then all of a sudden they don’t. Both of them. At the same time.
My THG3000 router firmware is also up to date.
I’ll try a support call tomorrow, thanks for the advice and link Ken.

I’ve spent most of the day trying to get either of my speakers working. The app said I could revert to S1 with my Play:1 speakers. They have been working for ages without issue and then all of a sudden they don’t. Both of them. At the same time.
My THG3000 router firmware is also up to date.
I’ll try a support call tomorrow, thanks for the advice and link Ken.

Just to let you know that Play:1 speakers are compatible with S1 and S2 Systems, but you cannot create an S1 System with any product that is both S1/S2 compatible - you would first need an S1 only product (one of these) to create an S1 system:

• Connect (Gen 1)
  • Connect:Amp (Gen 1)
  • CR200
  • Play:5 (Gen 1)
  • ZonePlayer 100
  • ZonePlayer 120
  • ZonePlayer 80
  • ZonePlayer 90
  • ZonePlayer S5

…when the S1 System has been put in place, only then you can add a Play:1 to that setup, but you cannot create a new S1 system with a Play:1 - so maybe that’s where things were going wrong for you. Also note to add a compatible S1/S2 product to an S1 system, which has already been upgraded to S2 you must first downgrade that product whilst it’s in a ‘factory reset’ state, the process for doing that is mentioned in this Sonos Support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-from-s2-to-s1

Personally speaking, if you have no S1-only Sonos products, you will need to just stick with an S2 System, but speak with Sonos Support before doing anything further as they maybe able to quickly resolve the issues you’re having at the moment and will hopefully get your setup back up and running.

Hope the above information helps.

And when he says “that Play:1 speakers are compatible with S1 and S2 Systems, what he really means is or, not and. Any speaker can run a single OS at a time, so if speakers are running S1, they will only connect to an S1 system. If speakers are running S2, they will only connect to an S2 system. No Sonos devices can run both systems at the same time. 

Badge

I seem to have the same problem with 15.6. Spent 2.5 hours on the phone with Sonos support today with no solution - it seems the issue is the speaker can’t connect to the ‘cloud’ because of my network. The fact that the speaker is streaming directly from Apple Music doesn’t seem to be good evidence that it can, in fact, talk to ‘the cloud’.

As all the errors have started since updating the iOS devices I suspect an app problem, but I can’t verify as they are all set to auto-update the app. Leaving this here in case anyone comes-up with a resolution.

Similar issues. And it happens nearly every update.

1. App won’t work, demands update

2. Updates fail repeatedly 

3. Completely re-install app

4. App won’t connect to system, or it will but now my favourites are gone, or it takes forever to connect, or…some other issue. On this update, it was all of the above.

I have a relatively new Mac Mini, a new MBP, and a 1 year old iPhone which are all kept on the latest OS. This should be at least the baseline for testing working software, but every update on every device causes a problem. And every update disables the software until the update is installed. If you’re not going to at least do basic testing for your software, it should be optional to upgrade. If you can’t make properly functioning software, outsource it to a company that knows how.

I’m not paid to do quality control for Sonos, I already have a job. I’d like to not spend half a day trying to get my very expensive speakers to work. This is pretty ridiculous for the price point on these things. 

It is optional to upgrade.  Turn off auto-upgrades in the Sonos app settings, and in your App Store/Google Play settings, set the app to not auto-upgrade.  No more upgrades. 

As to the update causing problems, there once was an actual problem with the software of a single Sonos unit, the Playbar.  The main thread on that problem hit 100 pages, which is over 2500 posts, and there were dozens of other smaller threads on the very same problem.  That’s what an actual problem caused by an upgrade looks like.

In other words, IT'S YOUR NETWORK. Specifically, it sounds like duplicate IP addresses.  These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  This can cause a myriad of problems, including missing rooms, app not connecting, grouping errors, etc.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note you can prevent this from happening again by reserving IP addresses for your Sonos devices in your router setup.  See your router manual for instructions.

@jgatie  I’m not sure you’ve actually used this product? There is no setting to auto-update, and it does not auto-update. The app literally will not function if you do not update; there’s a popup box demanding an update, and if you cancel it then the app shuts down. You cannot get past this popup without updating, which will fail to install every time until you go to the Sonos website and manually download and install it. 

IT IS NOT MY NETWORK. There’s no reason why everything works fine until the app updates except that the app updated. The app is terrible, but it doesn’t cause power outages or reboot of anything. My network is just fine, I assure you. And it wouldn’t cause the browsing issues which are shown as known issues on the status page. So yes, there is an actual real issue, and no it is not the people complaining about it. 

Furthermore, even if your response was relevant, do you realise how utterly insane it is to think that someone should need to reboot their router, and every computer and speaker connected to it, just for a software update? Read what you wrote. That is not a reasonable thing to do for a software update. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Yes, I’ve used the product every day for 15 years.  Need proof?

Go to Settings > System > System Updates.  See that little switch next to “Update Automatically”?  Turn it off.  You have now turned off automatic updates.  Easy no?  Now just go into the App Store or Google Play Store on your device(s) and turn off auto update for the Sonos app.  Still think I don’t use the product?

And whether I use the product or not, I can tell you never read my post, at least not all of it.  If you had, you would have seen this:

“Note you can prevent this from happening again by reserving IP addresses for your Sonos devices in your router setup.  See your router manual for instructions.” 

So do it once, reserve the IP addresses, and it will never need to be done again.  

Oh and sir? - IT IS YOUR NETWORK!

On a Phone/Pad controller go to Settings → System → System Updates and disable Update Automatically. This will prevent future unwanted system updates, but will not resolve any current issues.

jgate’s instructions only need to be followed once because they will cure and prevent many potential future issues. 

SONOS requires more robust network support than many devices that you might have on your network because the SONOS are chatty with each other. Typical uses, such as web page access or email, do not require this level of network support. This leads to the common statement that “my network is perfect” when there are some fundamental issues that are not important for web browsing.

If you give details about your network we can offer suggestions. With respect to your Mac issues there may be a Mac system configuration issue. I’m not a Mac user and cannot help with this.