Answered

Sonos stops playing randomly

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 1
Actually, I solved the problem. Turned out to be another router on my network which I was using as a switch, but it was intermittently trying to act as an internet gateway.
imagwia - I have been having a similar problem ever since I moved to San Diego and switch from ATT to Spectrum (Charter) cable internet....not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, I have not noticed the problem when playing source Spotify. It only seems to be when using my IPHONE 7 - but that wasn't a problem before. I have tried everything like you, but have assumed it has something to do with iphone, Sonos or my cable provider and am hopeful it will get fixed. If not, I will just have to bite the bullet and covert to another solution.......it is very very frustrating.
Userlevel 1
Thanks, but believe me, I've tried all that already - dynamic and static IPs. Factory reset on router. Connecting things one by one. With Sonos Bridge and without. And I'm not ruling out a problem with another device on my network, but how to nail it down? All I'm saying is that the issues started round about the same time as a major Sonos update, and that update failed several times involving me having to rebuild my Sonos system from scratch.

I phoned Sonos support earlier and they looked at the diagnostic. Nothing conclusive, but they said there were lots of "groupcast" messages that needed investigating and wanted me to do a test without my file server running. Done that, but playback still failed eventually. So submitted another diagnostic. Will update with any solution, if it comes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Given that Sonos is in millions of households globally the chances that the last software update introduced some general bug is remote especially given that this forum hasn't blown up.

Updates do, however, expose network issues especially duplicate IPs.

I know you say you've checked but the point is you can't check for it. Everything "looks" ok but the Sonos unit and the router have different ideas and you can't test this.

Remove power from router, all Sonos and EVRY item attached to the network (PCs, phones, NAS, TVs etc). then put power back to router, wait a few mins, power back to Bridge/Boost if you have them, wait a few mins. Then the rest of the Sonos unit, wait a few minutes and then restart everything else

This will flush out any duplicate IPs. Following that you can if you want set up static IPs for the Sonos units in the router.
Userlevel 1
Mm, OK thanks, may try that. Perhaps I'm not the only one with issues. A friend of mine is also experiencing similar issues after the last major software update, and like me, his system worked faultlessly prior to that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Only a Sonos staff member can do that and they seem rather busy and they may take over a week to respond. You could try calling
Userlevel 1
Sorry, when I say next to, I was exaggerating. It's actually in the next room, but has a direct line of sight when the doors are open.

Can anybody look at the diagnostics? That will hopefully diagnose the issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You should definitely move the Play 3 away from the router. Even if not using SonosNet having taken the Bridge away you risk interference on the Play 3 from the router.
Userlevel 1
OK, it's still happening, although less frequently than before. Playback has stopped randomly twice this morning whilst listening to Amazon music. This was on the Play:3 speaker right next to my BT Smart Hub, so wireless signal issues not suspected. Can someone please look into this? Diagnostics submitted a couple of minutes after the latest cut-out:

(also note, submitting diagnostics failed the first few attempts)
Userlevel 1
Update: I appear to be having some success removing the Bridge from the system and just using my home wi-fi now. Early days, though, but will update if any more problems occur.