Answered

Sonos SL S1 compatbility

• 13 December 2023
  • 13 replies

The response that the SL speakers can be set up on a split system, if you have S1 compatible speakers as the rest of your system is unsatisfactory if we don’t want a split system.  We just bought an SL and it won’t play with the rest of our system.  We have two connect amps, one connect and one play 5 speaker.  We wanted a small speaker to add to the kitchen in the house but to run off the same system/controller.  Do you make any products that we can add to this system?  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 December 2023, 22:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Sonos doesn’t make any S1 compatible speakers anymore, unfortunately. 

If you can find it, the non-SL One is S1 compatible. 

Ah, good point, but I think it comes installed with S2, and has to be downgraded, correct? 

It’s a little bit like asking for a Windows 7 computer, or an iPhone that runs iOS 3, or the like…harder than average to find such a thing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Lots of old Sonos gear on the used market that is S1 compatible if the non-SL One option isn’t going to work.

Ah, good point, but I think it comes installed with S2, and has to be downgraded, correct? 

It’s a little bit like asking for a Windows 7 computer, or an iPhone that runs iOS 3, or the like…harder than average to find such a thing. 

Yes, you need to set it up using S2, then downgrade.

Thanks everyone.  The downgrade doesn’t work.  We may look for used stuff.  Our current system works great and to replace it all with new S2 compatible stuff would be way too many $$$.

Usually, there’s just a single device that may need to be replaced to run S2, most devices will run the newer software. Which devices do you run in your system? Is it just the two CONNECT:AMPS, the CONNECT, and the PLAY:5, or do you have additional devices, like a BRIDGE?

It might be helpful to double check your ‘system’ at www.sonos.com, often you can find which of your devices can be upgraded to S2 and which can’t. It might be worth replacing one of those, if the other four can run S2, but if none of them can, I’d agree, it would be expensive. 

Usually, there’s just a single device that may need to be replaced to run S2, most devices will run the newer software. Which devices do you run in your system? Is it just the two CONNECT:AMPS, the CONNECT, and the PLAY:5, or do you have additional devices, like a BRIDGE?

It might be helpful to double check your ‘system’ at www.sonos.com, often you can find which of your devices can be upgraded to S2 and which can’t. It might be worth replacing one of those, if the other four can run S2, but if none of them can, I’d agree, it would be expensive. 

Just those four.  I’ll run the check to make sure but the app indicates that none of them can be upgraded.  Thanks.

Sonos one sl sucks. I have sonos five gen1 with no problems. Sonos sl is the **** every time i want to play spotify on them i need to restart them. This never happens on the fives. DONT BAY ONE SL.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

How odd, all four of my One SLs play perfectly.

I have two One-SL’s here and both are working fine aswell. Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with either speaker. They work first time, every time and will happily play selected audio all day long (7/365). They work great with the Sonos App or whilst Airplaying audio from many other Apps too.

I have gen 2 sonos one sl. And gen 1 sonos five with no problems.

I have gen 2 sonos one sl. And gen 1 sonos five with no problems.

I only use the free version of Spotify here and it’s working fine on my Sonos One SL called ‘Utility’. See attached recording done a few minutes ago.

Note: I’m just limited by the fact that there’s a 5MB file upload limit here in the community, but hopefully you can see that things are working fine on the One SL with Spotify.