Userlevel 1
I forgot to add the diagnostic information, its #1488866377
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 25 July 2019, 19:42

View original

108 replies

Dead WiFi card.

Sonos support replaced it for a new unit out of warranty 

My Play 5 stopped working over wifi but still works wired. Perhaps wifi card issue?

Diagnostic ID 1957193714

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @yoshter, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community. We appreciate bringing this concern to us and for submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the report, I see that your Sonos Play 5 is experiencing a hardware failure. It’s a WiFi card related issue. This is why your Sonos Play 5 only connects to your system if it’s wired to your router.

At this point, we recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care to further assist you on this or possible product replacement. Our phone support team is closed on weekends. You can reach on weekdays, 9 am - 5 pm GMT, Monday - Friday. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

Hello,

I have the exact same problem. The play 5 gen 2 was working fine, then we changed the router system and it could never connect again via wifi. Same happened to our Symfonisk model.

I ran a diagnostics with # 970988790.

Please help

@Claudia1991 

Did you follow Sonos’ recommendations to connect to a new router?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Apparently I had not done it. Now my system is working fine again! Thanks

Same problem. Quick call with Sonos help desk and they figured out is was a hardware issue and have sent a replacement. Great customer service 

Hi, same issue here and hoping to get a quick analytics feedback to reach out the SONOS support with a qualified request. Diagnostics number is 1853344718.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Matze,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for sharing this with us. It’s good that you brought this concern to us and we were able to check the diagnostic. Based on the report, a hardware failure was detected that your Sonos Play 5. Please do reach out to our phone support team to assist you with possible product replacement. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Similar problem — would appreciate if you could check for me too. Number is 328676527

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @Lykkesmed, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. Upon checking on the diagnostic, a hardware failure was detected with your Den speaker (Play 5). Yes, it’s a similar issue. I’d recommend contacting our phone support team to check for a possible product replacement. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Same issue — would appreciate if you could check my diagnostic too. Number is 1995119995

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Nigel Johnson,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. Upon checking on the diagnostic, no hardware failure was detected on your Sonos Play 5. However, interference has been detected on one or more Sonos components running SonosNet in your household. This may cause audio dropouts or audio problems to one or more players, audio delay, and dropped room from Sonos controller. To help you out with this, let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps.

• Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Set to 1
  • Move Sonos products away from the source of interference
    • Relocate your Sonos speaker or move it closer to the router to determine if it is a wireless range issue.
  • Hardwire another Sonos speaker to your router (not your modem).
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.
  • If you have access to your router, please check the following settings. You may reach out to your internet service provider for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

If you're still experiencing the issue, I recommend contacting our support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. If you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

found solution  - change channel from auto  to 11 in your wifi router .

Yes, that’s mentioned in the answer from the Sonos rep just before your post. Having a router set to ‘auto’ causes the Sonos to have to search every time the router chooses to change channels, which can interrupt the music stream. Setting it to just one channel keeps this from happening. 

Hello , one week ago I had same my Play5 gen2 not working through wifi . With ethernet cable it’s fine, but not convenient at all. How to get the diagnostic id ? Any help is welcome

Submit a system diagnostic  and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

Hi,
I have the same issue, my diagnostic report number is 541311390.

Thanks

Same issue here. Play 5 gen 2 - works fine wired, doesn’t work with wifi. Diagnostic: 1325634915

I have the same problem on my Play 5 - started this afternoon. Has played without Ethernet cable as long as I have had it. Will now only connect if connected to cable. Have been through Wi-Fi on/off, factory reset and reconnecting. Could not complete without a cable being inserted. Diagnostic # 832068967

Yes, same deal as Jack07: used to work fine until recently. Extremely frustrating because the Sonos user experience is top-notch when it works but this has me pulling my hair out…

I’ve tried multiple routers, tried multiple mobile devices (iOS and Android), resets, restarts, and more. My sonos port works fine.

Diagnostic: 1325634915

I had the same issue, was out of warranty and was quoted £314 to replace the device. That’s on top of the £450 I originally paid for a device with a known defect. I declined this and will now look to replace with other brands.

Dead WiFi card.

Sonos support replaced it for a new unit out of warranty 

Was there a cost to yourself involved in this ?

I've had issues with my Sonos for 5 years. I've called maybe twice about it because resetting it works. But wow I just saw this. I called to complain, but I was just given some of the worst support. I was on the phone for an hour just to be told nothing is wrong. I was told to hard wire my Sonos to see if that fixes it. 

Why would I pay the extra mark up on a Sonos just to hardwire it? I won't do that. The issue is with Wi-Fi. 

The first 2 calls I had 3 or 4 years ago I was told to reset my Sonos and it will fix it. And it did. But it kept persisting. 

I realized it was a problem when I bought an arc and I had no issues for over 6 months and my Sonos 5 disconnects every 2-4 weeks. 

Do better Sonos. Don't blame my network, it's probably set up better than your corporate network. 

I've had issues with my Sonos for 5 years. I've called maybe twice about it because resetting it works. But wow I just saw this. I called to complain, but I was just given some of the worst support. I was on the phone for an hour just to be told nothing is wrong. I was told to hard wire my Sonos to see if that fixes it. 

Why would I pay the extra mark up on a Sonos just to hardwire it? I won't do that. The issue is with Wi-Fi. 

The first 2 calls I had 3 or 4 years ago I was told to reset my Sonos and it will fix it. And it did. But it kept persisting. 

I realized it was a problem when I bought an arc and I had no issues for over 6 months and my Sonos 5 disconnects every 2-4 weeks. 

Do better Sonos. Don't blame my network, it's probably set up better than your corporate network. 

Clearly the diagnostic report in your case showed the speaker hardware/software to be fine, unlike a few of the other posts in this thread …and in some cases here too, it was a local WiFi network issues.

It seems you are somewhat in denial that your network isn’t at fault, but you haven’t stated how you know that, other than your soundbar is okay, but presumably that’s not only set in a different location to your Play:5 - it might also be the case your Play:5 is using the 5Ghz WiFi band, whereas your Arc will definitely be using the 2.4Ghz band.

Perhaps try reducing the wireless channel-width to 20Mhz on the 2.4Ghz band and ensure the speaker uses that and set it to the least used (fixed) ‘non-overlapping’ channel, or even try ALL running on the (built-in) SonosNet signal instead and remove your WiFi credentials from the system completely, setting the internal SonosNet channel, so that it becomes the least-used channel in your locality, but set it at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.

If not done already, I would also add all your Sonos product IP addresses to your routers DHCP reservation table for good measure too.

It’s important to review the network settings, as often things can change in the environment, including neighbouring signals and software/firmware updates of routers etc; so I would review the network every 3 months, or so, and perhaps make any necessary changes to keep the potential for interference to a minimum.