Answered

Sonos Play:3

• 2 November 2023
  • 8 replies

I have two Sonos Play 3 units both in perfectly beautiful shape, barely used. I have called Sonos support about 5 to 7 times over the past few months. They told me that Sonos 3 is no longer supported and they will send me a 30% coupon.  No one has ever reached out again with a response or a product mail back label. The speakers are expensive, include many non recyclable parts and a lot of non recyclable plastic. These two large speakers no longer work because Sonos decided to make them obsolete with new software and created no fix to keep them working with new systems. Really?  It will be 2024 soon… is this how Sonos as a company acts in alignment with its values?  I don’t have much discretionary income… single mom, 4 kids in college. I splurged on these systems 3 years ago because all my boys are music lovers.  I keep calling to get them to work… but they never will again.  The newer version similar to Play 3 is the Sonos 5, is 749$. I am taking this note… writing it better and posting it everywhere.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 November 2023, 10:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I have two Sonos Play 3 units both in perfectly beautiful shape, barely used. I have called Sonos support about 5 to 7 times over the past few months. They told me that Sonos 3 is no longer supported and they will send me a 30% coupon.  No one has ever reached out again with a response or a product mail back label. The speakers are expensive, include many non recyclable parts and a lot of non recyclable plastic. These two large speakers no longer work because Sonos decided to make them obsolete with new software and created no fix to keep them working with new systems. Really?  It will be 2024 soon… is this how Sonos as a company acts in alignment with its values?  I don’t have much discretionary income… single mom, 4 kids in college. I splurged on these systems 3 years ago because all my boys are music lovers.  I keep calling to get them to work… but they never will again.  The newer version similar to Play 3 is the Sonos 5, is 749$. I am taking this note… writing it better and posting it everywhere.

A few misconceptions:

1. Sonos has not “decided to make them obsolete with new software and created no fix to keep them working with new systems”.  The Play:3 is 100% compatible with new S2 systems.  
  2. Despite your claim to have bought these 2 years ago, the Play:3 has not been manufactured in over 5 years. Which means if you bought yours on the last date of manufacture, it is out of warranty by at least 3 years, 4 years in the US.  Can you name another manufacturer who gives a 30% discount to replace an item 3-4 years out of warranty?  A 30% discount, mind you, which can be used on anything in the Sonos catalog, including Home Theater sets, which would mean a savings far greater than the original cost of a Play:3.  

I still use a pair of PLAY:3s daily in my bedroom, using the ‘newer’ version of the software, S2. They’re great speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

They are not obsolete, nor “[made] obsolete with new software and created no fix to keep them working with new systems”. Sonos still issue bug fixes to the S1 controller app. They are old technology with too little memory to support certain new controller software features in the S2 app. If they still work, on the S1 software you were using when you first bought them, what’s the issue? 

For the “upgrade” discount, you don’t need to return the “units both in perfectly beautiful shape”: you simply apply your discount code to your purchase of new speakers, and can still use your Play:3’s. 

They are not obsolete, nor “[made] obsolete with new software and created no fix to keep them working with new systems”. Sonos still issue bug fixes to the S1 controller app. They are old technology with too little memory to support certain new controller software features in the S2 app. If they still work, on the S1 software you were using when you first bought them, what’s the issue? 

For the “upgrade” discount, you don’t need to return the “units both in perfectly beautiful shape”: you simply apply your discount code to your purchase of new speakers, and can still use your Play:3’s. 

Actually, Play:3s are S2 compatible.  So the OP doesn't even have to settle for S1.

Several parts of this story don’t add up.  Besides what’s already mentioned...

OP  claims to be a single mom, yet profile sales male.

The price quoted for a Sonos 5 is incorrect in the US, and profile says they are in the US.

Profile states that they own other Sonos equipment, including Era 100, so the story of splurging 3 years ago doesn’t make sense.

It seems unlikely that Sonos would offer a 30% credit on a play:3, since play:3s get a 15% credit automatically whether in working condition or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Several parts of this story don’t add up.  Besides what’s already mentioned...

OP  claims to be a single mom, yet profile sales male.

The price quoted for a Sonos 5 is incorrect in the US, and profile says they are in the US.

Profile states that they own other Sonos equipment, including Era 100, so the story of splurging 3 years ago doesn’t make sense.

It seems unlikely that Sonos would offer a 30% credit on a play:3, since play:3s get a 15% credit automatically whether in working condition or not.

If so, and bearing in mind the original post ends “I am taking this note… writing it better and posting it everywhere”, it’s a real shame that such inaccurate information is being distributed. 

Wow thanks for the quick responses.  I have been in the phone with Sonos so many times in the last few months and none of what was outlined in the replies is what I was told.  The Play 3s do not work… at all with any version of Sonos software. We tried multiple times. 

at first they told me I would get an exception to the out of warranty issue and they would send me a new device. I have a reference number for that call. I called gave the number and they said… oh sorry can’t do that we will send you a 30% coupon. No coupon ever arrived.  Then the 2nd play 3 did the same thing as the first… I called and they said they are now obsolete.. that is what Sonos said.. no support available. Having no music a friend bought the two pack of Eros that I borrowed for an event. 

I called again and they said that I would be mailed a mailing label to return the not working play 3 before I would get a coupon.  No mailing label or any communication has occurred.

I am a single mom… but apparently I hit the wrong gender on this form as I  am doing it in my phone and it doesn’t line up right.  Overall I have found the customer service terrible. I’m sorry but 5 years of use is not long enough for this supposed level of quality and the cost … feels unfriendly to the earth and on so many levels.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Seekingsupport 

Apologies - it seems the last agent you spoke to mistyped your email address which is why you did not receive a reply.

We have internally escalated your case and you should hear from us via email shortly.

I hope this helps.