Question

sonos arc skipping

I have read the supposed fixes for the incredibly annoying issue with the Sonos Arc sounding going in and out.  It seems the only so-called fix is unplugging everything?!!!? Since I did that and it keeps happening again a few weeks or months later am I to just keep unplugging EVERYTHING each time?  Is this company serious? There must be a better fix or a class action lawsuit to get them to replace and or fix the issue completely?

9 replies

Userlevel 7

What specific model TV do you have? Is it a Samsung?

Unplugging everything and rebooting the router fixes a network issue, common with many routers. It doesn’t, however, address issues with soundbars that are directly wired to the TV set to get the signal. @GuitarSuperstar is rather adroit at assisting folks with those issues. Rather than threatening lawsuits that never seem to appear, I’d suggest working with him. The chances of the issue being resolved is rather high. 

I have the same super annoying issue with my wired Sonos arc. It is connected to a Samsung OLED tv. It will randomly drop the sound. Seems worse if I “tune” the speaker to my room. By that I mean the dropouts will happen every ten minutes or so when I’ve tuned the speaker. If I don’t tune it it’s not as frequent but still happens. The only fix is to unplug the power and plug it back in. It stops dropping out for a while but then it happens again maybe a few weeks later. It’s pretty unimpressive for such an expensive product. I otherwise love this thing. It only started in the past year so I’m wondering if it was introduced by one of the automatic Sonos firmware updates or something. Am quite stumped and just want the company to fix this. 

Userlevel 7

I have the same super annoying issue with my wired Sonos arc. It is connected to a Samsung OLED tv. It will randomly drop the sound. Seems worse if I “tune” the speaker to my room. By that I mean the dropouts will happen every ten minutes or so when I’ve tuned the speaker. If I don’t tune it it’s not as frequent but still happens. The only fix is to unplug the power and plug it back in. It stops dropping out for a while but then it happens again maybe a few weeks later. It’s pretty unimpressive for such an expensive product. I otherwise love this thing. It only started in the past year so I’m wondering if it was introduced by one of the automatic Sonos firmware updates or something. Am quite stumped and just want the company to fix this. 

Samsung TVs with eARC are known to have audio dropouts. Be sure to set the Digital Output Audio Format setting to Pass-Through, not Auto.

At guitarsuperstar.  I did do the “pass through” maneuver and unplugged it.  Unfortunately it only lasted a few weeks once again.  Question: are you saying this happens only or mostly with Samsung TVs?  Thanks for your assistance but this problem is  quite long in the tooth and Sonos should know how to fix it or let people know it’s an unfixable issue - if that is the case.  

Userlevel 7

At guitarsuperstar.  I did do the “pass through” maneuver and unplugged it.  Unfortunately it only lasted a few weeks once again.  Question: are you saying this happens only or mostly with Samsung TVs?  Thanks for your assistance but this problem is  quite long in the tooth and Sonos should know how to fix it or let people know it’s an unfixable issue - if that is the case.  

Most of the audio cutout issues I’ve seen in this community are with Samsung TVs with eARC.

If you are only using the TV’s native apps, another option is to set the HDMI-eARC Mode setting on the TV to OFF.

I tried to change the settings on the Samsung tv and pass through wasn’t available as an option (I could either do PCM or auto, with pass through being “whited out” and unavailable to select). I turned off eArc for now and will see if that changes things. Thanks for the suggestion -  will see how it goes. 

I have the same issue with my ARC and LG CX. Been there since I got it when the ARC first came out. I try every once in awhile to see if an update has fixed it. It will last for varying amounts of time. Unplugging, resetting, different routers, wired ethernet. Help!?

I have the same issue with a Samsung TV, latest Generation, about 17 months old.  I feel pretty strongly this is a Sonos issue.  This setup worked flawlessly from the unboxing until I did a Sonos update sometime last fall.  It was after that the the clipping and loss of sound started.  Like the many other people that have posted, audio streaming is rock solid but whatever the product team has tried to do with the digital processing of the eARC signal is not working.   I’ve spent thousands on this system and I routinely tell people now, especially when we have guests over,  to look at other solutions