Play 5 Gen 1 won't connect after S1 update

• 1 October 2020
  • 48 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

I felt I was cheated when it mentions that I still can connect to my Play:5 (gen 1) on my Sonos s1 app. So I decided to finally upgrade to Sonos s2 app…and it can’t detect any of my Sonos: Play:1, Play:3 (all 3 speakers), and Soundbar…and of course my play:5 . Decided to add the Play:5 to Sonos s1: using the Add Product…but it only asked me to update my apps to S2 with no option to add play:5 into S1 at all…what do I do????

I felt I was cheated when it mentions that I still can connect to my Play:5 (gen 1) on my Sonos s1 app. So I decided to finally upgrade to Sonos s2 app…and it can’t detect any of my Sonos: Play:1, Play:3 (all 3 speakers), and Soundbar…and of course my play:5 . Decided to add the Play:5 to Sonos s1: using the Add Product…but it only asked me to update my apps to S2 with no option to add play:5 into S1 at all…what do I do????

Assuming all devices were initially running on S1 in the first instance and you opted to use the compatibility checker and upgrade the S2 devices. Each compatible device will upgrade to the auto-downloaded S2 App and the S1 compatible Play:5 (gen1) will remain available through the existing S1 App. Personally speaking though, in that type of scenario, both Systems will hold the same Sonos HouseholdID and I would actually prefer different HouseholdID’s, so my choice would be to reset one of the Households so that they were different, but it’s not essential.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Hots.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Doing a factory reset on Sonos will delete registration information, content saved to My Sonos, and music services from a Sonos product. 

Resetting all products within your system will permanently delete your system’s data. It cannot be restored.

Based on the status of the LED light on the Play:5, flashing green means that it was on a setup mode after the reset.

If you have an existing S1 system, you will have to add back the player:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the  Settings tab, tap System > Add Product.
  3. Follow the steps in the app to connect Play:5 to your Sonos system.

Hopefully, that helps but if not, please submit a diagnostic report, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

I too assumed that play:5 gen1 will still be available on s1. But it is not. I’ve also reset the app (App Preference)…and Setup new account, but when I added the Boost…it automatically setup my old Account ID and again, I can’t see my Play:5 gen 1…sigh!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Hots.

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for the delayed response.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, it shows that the Play:5 is not cloud-connected, meaning, it’s not getting an internet connection even if it is wired directly to the router.

What is the status of the light on the player? Is it still flashing green?

I noticed that the iOS controller seems to be connected on an access point, please ensure that the controller is connected on the home network, same as where Sonos was set up.

I’d need to check your network set up and how Sonos is running on your system and to see if there’s any known issue on the device(s).

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? 

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

I’d love to help with a similar issue. Disconnected a Play 5 (gen 1) from system after upgrading to s2. I’d love to run a separate s1 system now to run a record player to play 5 (gen 1). But cannot get it to connect to s1 app. I’m trying to create a new network on the same account (which I’ve read is def possible) but product is not discovered and can’t do anything to get app connecting to it. Grateful for any help!

@Ynotuk1 - thanks for the reply.

If not done already, when you re-download/open the S2 App, just go through the opening screens and accept the T&C’s and select the option to connect the App back to the ‘existing system’ it will then find and connect to the S2 system on the network.

Anyhow, have a good weekend.👍

I have the similar question. can’t add Play 5(gen 1) into the network. 

Somebody should read the privacy statement before launching into a silly rant.  At least then you could limit your bitch to things Sonos actually does.

PS - They use your location to geofence services and to list local radio.  Oooooh, how nefarious of them! :rolling_eyes:

PPS - Come in here with that attitude and you'll be waiting a long time for your "not obvious suggestion".  Merry Christmas!

I have multiple Sonos systems and run S2 at one house and run all of my S1 components in another house. It has worked quite well for years but then I Purchased a GEN one play five to install on my S1 and it buggers up everything when I try to install it. I’ve done hard reset on everything and whenever I try to install that play 5 … it locks up my entire system. I have done hard reset and I don’t dare try to install it again. What could be wrong with this? 

I have multiple Sonos systems and run S2 at one house and run all of my S1 components in another house. It has worked quite well for years but then I Purchased a GEN one play five to install on my S1 and it buggers up everything when I try to install it. I’ve done hard reset on everything and whenever I try to install that play 5 … it locks up my entire system. I have done hard reset and I don’t dare try to install it again. What could be wrong with this? 

What were the exact steps taken and what did you do/see on screen … and what was the status LED light showing on the speaker at each point in the process? I assume you started with a full factory reset of the Play:5 and used ‘Add Product’ in the App - did you wire the speaker to the router to get any updates?

Yes, I did a hard factory reset and then tried to install. Everything looked good. Got the chime just like other speakers, but then it would not connect. Then I’d get a orange light, and then the rest of my system would shut down. I then did another factory reset and installed it with the ethernet cable connected to the same net work as everything else, and it did the same thing and crashed the rest of my system. Whenever that speaker is connected to the system, other speakers will drop out of my app.

Yes, I did a hard factory reset and then tried to install. Everything looked good. Got the chime just like other speakers, but then it would not connect. Then I’d get an orange light, and then the rest of my system would shut down. I then did another factory reset and installed it with the ethernet cable connected to the same net work as everything else, and it did the same thing and crashed the rest of my system. Whenever that speaker is connected to the system, other speakers will drop out of my app.

It sounds like the device ‘might’ be faulty. Have you ever had it working, or seen if working before purchase? Does the router show its getting an IP address and do you see a flashing green status LED before the setup process begins? 

As another thought, does your mobile sonos controller device meet these current system requirements…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Well, I’m not sure if it’s your amazing IT ability but while we were texting back-and-forth, I seem to have installed it successfully and the rest of the system has stayed up. After I hit the chime button and it started connecting, I would get the orange light again and then it would shut down but this time I got the orange light and it connected and is now on my system. No I bought the speaker on eBay, which was a mistake so it’s possible that it has issues that I’m not aware of. Thanks for your time. 

Ah glad to hear you got it sorted and I hope you get many years of playing time from it too. 👍

Userlevel 2

Me too - pair of Gen 1 S5s and the white bridge thingy. Bricked as far as I can tell.

Replace the white bridge thingy with a BOOST. The BRIDGE, at its age, is known for failing power supply issues, which can cause very difficult to determine issues.

Conversely, you could just wire directly to the speaker, and drop the BRIDGE completely, or set up your system to directly connect to your WiFi, as indicated in the wired and wireless modes FAQ.

Tried all methods— connecting to pc and router and reset. Spent 30 Minutes fighting with it only to conclude Sonos bricked this first gen play 5 if you ever change WiFi 

Same problem here ,play 5 gen 1 simply won’t connect, very, very frustrating , this is the third time I’ve tried to persevere to get it working over the last few years, it was initially a gift from my wife ( an expensive one at that ) and at first it worked a treat but as someone else above stated it just an expensive paper weight, would never buy another Sonus product as it looks like there is no remedy to this problem .

Just not enough information in your post to offer any significant solutions, beyond the standard “if you connect it to your router with an ethernet cable, does it work?” But not knowing any of the other significant information certainly hampers any attempt to be of assistance. 

Have you tried calling Sonos Support. There certainly have been a handful of cases where the wifi card/system has gone bad in these, but Sonos Support should be able to discern that, if you call them with more data. 

@emaxson44,

See these links below re controlling Sonos playback from the mobile Lock Screen…

iOS Controller… 
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3381

Android Controller…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3062

For what it’s worth, I had the same issue being stuck with a factory reset Play 5 (Gen I) with a green blinking light. Connected it directly to the router and the Sonos 1 app found it immediately. 

Certainly, the Gen 1 PLAY:5 was built before the use of NFC during the setup process to transmit wifi information. If it’s looking for another network, the best thing is to force it onto your router with that ethernet cable. Removes a bunch of potential randomness, that way. Or force it to use SonosNet rather than your own wifi.