Skip to main content

Pairing sub with Arc

• 4 July 2024
  • 1 reply

We just moved to a new home and took with us an older model Sonos Subwoofer.

We also installed a new Arc soundbar, which paired with a new TV works beautifully.

However, multiple attempts to pair the subwoofer with the Arc have failed (even the Best Buy Geek Squad could not fix).

Symptoms:

• Numerous times the subwoofer would not join the Sonos network (Note: our in-house wifi at the sub’s location is very strong).
  • On several occasions the sub was rebooted and did join the Sonos network.  Yet, on these occasions once joined and app indicating that it paired successfully, no sound was produced by the sub and in the app it indicated as “not connected”.

NOTE 1: This is an older sub with the following numbers on its base:

1508   ****************

NOTE 2: Several attempts were made to properly reboot the sub, i.e. as in unplugging the sub and then pressing the button on its side while plugging into the electrical socket again.

Still no success:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moderator Note: Serial number recorded and removed in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If you can, steer the Arc to join your 2.4ghz wifi band rather than the 5ghz wifi. 

Your Arc bonds to the Sub (and surround speakers) via its own 5ghz wifi to keep these speakers in sync - so having the Arc on 2.4ghz ensures that there is no 5ghz clash when it tries to connect the Sub. 

This may not be the solution, but it might be worth a try. (Via my router/mesh settings, I set my Arc to automatically join the best wifi band, and without fail it always joins the 2.4ghz wifi, despite being right on top of the router, possibly because of this 5ghz consideration.)

Another route is the connect the Arc to your router by ethernet, so it is not on any wifi band, freeing up the airwaves around it to allow the Sub to join the Arc’s own 5ghz wifi.