Skip to main content

nightmare to just change routers for my sonos play 1

Trying to get the app to find my Play 1s after I changed the router.   Successfully reset it to factory settings and set it up with one connected to router and the other on the same wifi channel. Linked as a stereo.  System found the registration etc.  All good until I unplugged and moved to my living room.  Now app can’t find the products. 

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Is your new router’s WiFi set to be compatible with your Sonos?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

Sorry to hear you used the Factory Reset and wiped out everything you had set up.

Thanks.   I did reload my Sonos app and it loaded an update to my hardware.  I have the Play 1 so it should be compatible.  All other devices Kasa, Alexa, Wemo still work on the new router which should back support the 2.4 tech. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To late now, but would it not have been possible to use the SSID and password from your old router with the new one? That way the system possibly would not have noticed any change.

Not sure how I would have assigned my old SSID to the new router. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Not sure how I would have assigned my old SSID to the new router. 

What’s the make and model of your new router?

Archer AX55. TP link    I understand what you suggested about the SSID,   Interesting, but that alternatives gone. 

Note that o can set up the system with a Ethernet cable to my router and then set up the second one wireless and it is looking for it on my Archer router.  However , I can’t get into recognize the Ethernet connected speaker ( or the second one) when I move it to its actual location and Trickey on wireless.  The network connection drop bar in settings at also does not mention my router name. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Archer AX55. TP link    I understand what you suggested about the SSID,   Interesting, but that alternatives gone. 

Actually I was going to suggest going into the router and seeing if both Play 1’s were assigned IP addresses and were on the network.

You will need the MAC address of each of your Play 1’s.  The MAC address is the serial number which is printed in the back.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Note that o can set up the system with a Ethernet cable to my router and then set up the second one wireless and it is looking for it on my Archer router.  However , I can’t get into recognize the Ethernet connected speaker ( or the second one) when I move it to its actual location and Trickey on wireless.  The network connection drop bar in settings at also does not mention my router name. 

Are you saying that when you moved the Play 1’s to your living room you still had a Play 1 wired to the router?

FYI, when you have a Play1 wired to your router, the other Play 1 will not use your routers wifi.  It will connect to your wired router using SonosNet

No when i moved it, it was not connected.   So after 1.5 hours on hold, support tells me that I need for the update in June for full wireless operation.  Seems retrograde.  My system already worked wirelessly before this intil the router change. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

No when i moved it, it was not connected.   So after 1.5 hours on hold, support tells me that I need for the update in June for full wireless operation.  Seems retrograde.  My system already worked wirelessly before this intil the router change. 

Ouch.  So Sonos confirms that setting up a fully wireless network is noy fully supported, even as of the June update.

Thanks for posting this.

So update.  I downloaded the S2 control app and after several flawed tries was able to install both speakers.  However Sonos app does not recognize the speakers and the S2 controls only play my Apple library.  

the S2 app costs$19 to install.  Limited functionality.  Won’t set speakers  up in stereo.  Frankly Sonos should be ashamed.   No more Sonos products for me 

Moderator note: we do not charge money for our app - be wary of downloading the wrong app or from the wrong place (our apps say they are made by Sonos Inc in the respective app stores for your device)

Did factory reset on 2 Play1 speakers.  They then asked to update software.  Using app on phone.  Internet speed very good.

After some 5hrs still update not completed.

Appears update some 75% complete.  Unless I can sort this no more sonus products for me!