Answered

Move 2 poor experience with turntable

• 28 April 2024
  • 8 replies

I’ve been a longtime user of a Sonos One that I love. I’ve been getting into vinyl lately, but since the Sonos One doesn’t have a line in, I decided to purchase a Move 2 so that I’d have the line in for vinyl, but also have some portability around the house when I’m streaming music.

I guess the Move 2 was not made with turntables in mind, because it does not work well for this purpose. I’m using a Pro-Ject T1 (also purchased from Sonos) and I have the Move 2 set with line-in autoplay turned on. When I start playing a record, it takes the Sonos nearly 30 seconds to notice that something is playing and turn on, thus missing the first 30 seconds of the song. Once the record is playing, it sounds great.

Once the A side of the record is done, and I flip the record over, the Sonos seems to detect the silence and turns off, and it takes 30 seconds to notice music is playing again. If I flip the record really quickly, it will usually play for about 10 seconds, and THEN turns off, before noticing music is playing about 30 seconds later and comes back on.

I reported the issue to Sonos Customer Support and they ran some diagnostics, determined my speaker was broken, and sent me a new one at no cost. But the new one exhibits the EXACT same behavior, leading me to believe this is a software issue.

Out of curiosity, I tried my record player with a friend’s Sonos Era 100 and it worked perfectly. None of the issues I’m describing here happened at all. 

I’m guessing there aren’t a ton of people who purchase the Move 2 for this purpose, and Sonos hasn’t worked out the bugs of the software. I’m posting here to see if anyone else is having similar issues and to maybe push Sonos to fix the bug, but I’ve owned by Move 2 for 5 months now and this problem still hasn’t been rectified.

It’s really unfortunate, because for streaming music it works perfectly. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 29 April 2024, 04:31

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried setting the Source Level higher under the Line-In settings in the Sonos app?

Have you tried setting the Source Level higher under the Line-In settings in the Sonos app?

Yes, it’s not a sound quality issue. When the record is playing, it sounds great. Loud and clear.

Userlevel 7

Hi

That’s strange that you have 30 second delays. I have a Project Debut Carbon Sonos Edition attached to a Sonos Amp with pre-amp in between playing to 3rd party speakers. I have Move2 in stereo pair upstairs from where my turntable is setup. I switched the Autoplay Room to the Move2 and had no delay. I could even hear the needle making contact with the record.

Note: I had my wife start play on the turntable while went upstairs to listen. My ears aren’t that good/sensitive 😂

Here are my turntable settings:

• Room Name: Project
  • Line-in: Connected
  • Source Name: Turntable
  • Source Level: 7
  • Audio Delay: Max 2,000 ms
  • Auto Play Room: Project (for test I switched to Move2’s)

Here are my Move2 settings:

• WiFi: On (with reserved IP Addresses)
  • WiFi Power Save: On
  • Bluetooth Auto-Connect: Off
  • Bluetooth Idle Auto-Disconnect: Off *
  • Move2’s Volume Limit: Off

* Speculation: If Bluetooth Auto-Connect is ON the Move2 may take 30 seconds (or less) to switch-over when Bluetooth Idle Auto-Disconnect is Off. Not an issue for me as both are Off. If your Move2 Bluetooth settings are the same as mine then there may be a network issue. 

Hi

That’s strange that you have 30 second delays. I have a Project Debut Carbon Sonos Edition attached to a Sonos Amp with pre-amp in between playing to 3rd party speakers. I have Move2 in stereo pair upstairs from where my turntable is setup. I switched the Autoplay Room to the Move2 and had no delay. I could even hear the needle making contact with the record.

Note: I had my wife start play on the turntable while went upstairs to listen. My ears aren’t that good/sensitive 😂

Here are my turntable settings:

• Room Name: Project
  • Line-in: Connected
  • Source Name: Turntable
  • Source Level: 7
  • Audio Delay: Max 2,000 ms
  • Auto Play Room: Project (for test I switched to Move2’s)

Here are my Move2 settings:

• WiFi: On (with reserved IP Addresses)
  • WiFi Power Save: On
  • Bluetooth Auto-Connect: Off
  • Bluetooth Idle Auto-Disconnect: Off *
  • Move2’s Volume Limit: Off

* Speculation: If Bluetooth Auto-Connect is ON the Move2 may take 30 seconds (or less) to switch-over when Bluetooth Idle Auto-Disconnect is Off. Not an issue for me as both are Off. If your Move2 Bluetooth settings are the same as mine then there may be a network issue. 

Thank you so much for the detailed response, but I’m not trying to wirelessly play to the Move 2, I’m trying to play to it directly from the turntable, plugged in to the USB-C port on the back via the Sonos USB-C to Line In adapter. So it can’t be a network issue. For what it’s worth, I also have Bluetooth Auto-Connect and Auto-Disconnect turned off (I never use Bluetooth).

The weirdest part is that it always seems to be detecting what’s on the Line In port on a 30 second delay. As I’ve mentioned, when I start playing a record it takes 30 seconds or so to be detected, but when the record ends and I flip it over right away, it will play for about 10 seconds and then turns off. Like it took it 30 seconds to notice that the music stopped, even though more music has since started. And then it will take another 30 seconds or so to start again.

I can force it to start immediately in the app, and it does, but I don’t want to have to do that every time I flip or change the record.

Frustrating! 

As a test disable Autoplay and minimize Audio Delay.

Userlevel 7

OK

It’s very odd that two speakers would exhibit the same behavior. I'm wondering if the line-in adaptor is defective. There are two ways to test…

• Purchase another Sonos branded line-in adaptor. If issue is resolved then you know the adapter was defective.
  • Purchase an Era 100 and use the same adaptor. If no issues with the Era 100 (using the same adaptor) then you have another defective Move2. If the issue continues then once again you know it’s a defective adaptor. Return the Era 100.

I realize that both test options are at a cost, however, you now have to rule out either the speaker or line-in adaptor.

One more question...neither your turntable nor the Move2 is connected to a smart power strip...correct? As they can be problematic at times.

OK

It’s very odd that two speakers would exhibit the same behavior. I'm wondering if the line-in adaptor is defective. There are two ways to test…

• Purchase another Sonos branded line-in adaptor. If issue is resolved then you know the adapter was defective.
  • Purchase an Era 100 and use the same adaptor. If no issues with the Era 100 (using the same adaptor) then you have another defective Move2. If the issue continues then once again you know it’s a defective adaptor. Return the Era 100.

I realize that both test options are at a cost, however, you now have to rule out either the speaker or line-in adaptor.

One more question...neither your turntable nor the Move2 is connected to a smart power strip...correct? As they can be problematic at times.

Hmm, you raise a good point about the line in adapter. The turntable was a Christmas gift, and I first set it up on a family member’s Era 100 using THEIR line in adapter - and all worked perfectly. Unfortunately they live in another state so I can’t borrow theirs as a test, but I do think I’ll buy a new adapter just to see.

Will report back! 

(And no, neither are connected to a smart power strip)

Userlevel 7

Hi

You said you would report back. So we are to assume that @buzz suggestion worked? If so that’s great but also a bit concerning regarding the auto-play 🤔