Skip to main content
Question

groups no longer working when playing over AirPlay

• 20 May 2024
  • 2 replies

I own a number of Play One and Play Three devices, plus one Era 100 that I bought specifically to add Apple airplay functionality to the system. Until quite recently, whenever I had all my devices grouped together in the Sonos app, I would be able to go to Spotify, select the Era 100 device as a target for AirPlay, and music would play on all devices simultaneously. 

Now, however, whenever I do the same through Spotify, only the Era 100 device plays, it gets kicked off the group, and the other devices remain silent. if I go to group the devices together in the Sonos app, nothing happens.

this is a serious problem for me, especially considering that I bought the extra era 100 device specifically to be able to use airplay on the system. I’m not interested in using the Sonos app to control my music, and I am not interested in using the open play directly to Sonos’s group” functionality on Spotify due to reliability issues.

2 replies

Hi,

I have the same issue. Operating 5 Sonos-Speakers in 4 Rooms, added Symphonisk couple years back to get Airplay. Worked like a charm: Musik would come from all speakers in the group with Symphonisk.

Since some update several months ago, starting Airplay will reset the grouping of speakers by removing Symphonisk from the group.

It is a real loss of a comfortable functionality. Like the time when they removed the mobile as a sound source in the app (before AirPlay). Just randomly worsening the functionality.

Makes me even less likely to buy Sonos going forward, it has reduced my actual use of the system. Thinking of replacing it for good. 

Badge

Similar problem playing through Roon. Grouped Airplay (5 devices including 4 Sonos One’s)  have played fine for several years; now suddenly The grouped devices will not play. I can play to each device individually, grouped or ungrouped, but no combination of groups will play.