Answered

Era 100 Line-In Question, Single Speaker Delay?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@tatoj 

I completely understand your point of sight, but imho the system would become very instable if there are too many options for using a speaker this way or that way. Sonos has got a concept for the whole system and so there are special products for using Sonos with video content. 
I think using a Sonos Ray also would be a good solution to work with a computer. 

Line-In and speaker output are two separate devices on the network sharing the same shell. There is always a 75ms latency for Line-In. This is really more than a simple buffer because it affords some time for SONOS to repair the system’s network topology if the network develops an issue. 

While reading email or fetching a web page, a minor network stall of a few milliseconds is no big deal, but would be catastrophic for music. 75ms allows enough time to work through most of these issues. Actually there is a buffer that can be many seconds of music. You can explore this by breaking the Internet or NAS connection while music is playing. In many cases music will continue till the end of the track. (No guarantees)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@melvimbe 

I like your comparison to sun and pluto. 😅 I read some articles about audio AD converting and there can be different results of time critical output. But i absolutely agree that the delay is much less than the buffering time. I just was used to call this „caused by AD converting“ because on the german community it always was communicated this way. But learning never stops and so from today i will call it more correctly. 😎

Will you also be playing speakers attached to the Marantz?

No i want to get rid of my focal lab speakers and connect only the sonos 

Aux out would be possible, yes. On the computer "microphone” seems an “in” to me, not an “out”. Not sure if a speaker connection would work. Sonos can reach out to your computer however, to play the music stored on it, se https://support.sonos.com/en/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos (max 65k songs) or use Plex.

Thank you