Changing the name of your speaker

• 21 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Many people seem to have had a problem with trying to change the name of a speaker, and finding that the name reverts to it's original. Most solutions offered suggest adjusting settings in Apple Home or HoimeKit. But I had this problem even though I don't use Apple Home. Sonos support werent able to help, but I think I've found a solution.

You need to use a mac connected to your iphone or ipad. In finder, navigate to Library/Application Support/Sonos/jffs/cached_hh. You'll find a file named Sonos– followed by a long alphanumeric. Open this file in text edit and use Cmd-F to search for the original name of the speaker. Change the name to the one you want to use. Close the file.

That should fix it. It worked for me.

Good luck,

Colin White

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @cow in leith, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I am glad you’ve managed to successfully change the name of your Sonos speakers and I’m sorry to hear you’ve experienced this issue.

I’ve seen it before with the culprit being either Apple Home or Amazon Alexa, which requires removal of the Sonos link between them.

I’ll bring this workaround internally in case it is not known, thank you for sharing. I hope this helps other users as well.

Sotiris, thanks for your message. I spoke too soon – it worked for about a week, and then the name reverted again. I’ve tried my fix again. I don’t use Apple Home or Alexa, so am at a loss otherwise.

Cheers,

Colin

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sotiris, thanks for your message. I spoke too soon – it worked for about a week, and then the name reverted again. I’ve tried my fix again. I don’t use Apple Home or Alexa, so am at a loss otherwise.

Cheers,

Colin

Your fix didn’t really make sense, you were just editing the cached version of the data.

Next time the rename fails, gather a Diagnostic code and Support should be able to tell you what did it.

(My money is on HomeKit, you say you don’t use it, but that doesn’t matter, so long as its on one of your devices it can still  mess with device names).